Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Don't tell me Apply is going to bust a Lion and never fix the bugs that are important but instead will release another new OS....

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
They are estimated times based on ones average usage pattern - this has been addressed multiple times so stop bringing up the same crap over and over again. Now, if you've been USING the laptop for x number of hours and the battery life on REAL WORLD usage has gone down from previous experience THEN there is a battery problem relating to power management.

This IS based on REAL WORLD usage! My battery life was amazing prior to 10.8.1 and is garbage, just like your post :rolleyes:, with 10.8.1 running the same environment and processes!

*** Edit ****

Seems like resetting the SMC the third time is a charm!! .... Battery now holding [ and draining ] charge, as expected!! * Knock on cyber-wood * !

----------

m-2011 i7 256G 11" MBA here, new last Christmas.

Had two different fully-charged values for same conditions prior to update, 2:31 and 2:10 ( both corresponding to ca. 97% and Service Battery status. )

After update, 2:03! (I've not bothered with any of that fresh install or SMC reset b.s.; if Apple doesn't tell me, in this situation, to do X or Y, I'm not going to experiment.)

I was one of the folks who, after complaining in an Apple forum, Apple called-up and loaded diagnostic software on their device, and then called up a 2nd time for more data.

I sent a note and screen-shots, of the current retrograde situation, to my contactat Apple.

Let's hope that 10.8.2 will be the charm.

Believe it or not, I reset the SMC thrice and now it's indicating expected duration and, in some instances, holding up better!

Last edited:

Gryz

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
This IS based on REAL WORLD usage! My battery life was amazing prior to 10.8.1 and is garbage, just like your post :rolleyes:, with 10.8.1 running the same environment and processes!

*** Edit ****

Seems like resetting the SMC the third time is a charm!! .... Battery now holding [ and draining ] charge, as expected!! * Knock on cyber-wood * !

----------

Believe it or not, I reset the SMC thrice and now it's indicating expected duration and, in some instances, holding up better!

Still holding?

CrazyMacUser

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
No Fix on Mail self CC

Mail has various bugs... one is on every reply I get a self CC without it being checked. I was hoping for a fix.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
What are some stats? Under normal browsing or music listening?

I have one VM [ Windows ] active [ albeit suspended right now ] ; Spotify playing in the background ; Firefox [ yeah, don't laugh lol.. I still like it!! ] with 4 tabs open and Outlook polling mail..

Sitting at 71% after about 3 hrs and time remaining 6:07 hrs

Screen brightness: ~ 70%
Keyboard light: ~ 25%

Also have Geektool, Caffeine, GFX, and iStatPro running alongside. BT is off.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
m-2011 i7 256G 11" MBA here, new last Christmas.

Had two different fully-charged values for same conditions prior to update, 2:31 and 2:10 ( both corresponding to ca. 97% and Service Battery status. )

After update, 2:03! (I've not bothered with any of that fresh install or SMC reset b.s.

Have you tried the 'timing your real-world battery life' b.s. or are you just posting what it predicts in the menu bar like 99% of people seem to be doing on this thread?

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Sweet, now browsing my Windows Servers work's again, instead of just getting one share called '/' which doesn't work!!!! wooo!

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Apparently 10.8.1 doesn't exist for me at all,
checked for software update,

got a HP printer update as the only item on the page,

Left software update window open, went to cinema with friends,

got home, installed HP printer update,

Software update now shows empty.

Wonders why the core OS updates are via this laggy POS App Store App.

guess ill have to find a standalone download on apples god awful support site

monti

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2009
https://twitter.com/wsellers/status/238655598642749440/photo/1/large

I thought this was supposed to be a small update/footprint?!?!?

It was a 4,3GB download on my aluminium Macbook @ home, with a "full OS installer" as it upgraded.

But it was a ~20MB download on my 2011 Macbook Pro @ work, with a small "upgrading" dialogue.

I didn't do anything differently at the two machines. Both were 10.8.0 before the upgrade, and I just pressed "Upgrade" in App Store on both of them.

Last edited:

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
About 7mb update for my MBA:
+ battery life now way up scoring 9:32 hrs at 98%! :D
- after restart trouble connecting to Time Capsule Wi-Fi despite full range (!?), was solved by connecting to neighboring network then log in again. Anyone else with same experience?

Just logged in after fully charging the battery over night: wifi+bluetooth+ keyboard backlight off = 13:16 hrs of battery remaining!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-24 at 10.17.21.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-24 at 10.17.21.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 60

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Well then the "Average Usage Pattern" time for us reporting the problem is significantly less...and thus results in an overall decrease is "REAL WORLD" battery output.

My battery has dropped from 100% to 65% in 30 min. with only Safari open and browsing this forum.

But have you run the battery down to nothing? again that is based on averages - run it down till you have nothing left in the battery then work out whether there has been an actual drop or whether in usual fashion the estimation given by the battery meter is crap (I wouldn't be surprised if it was given that batter estimations have always been crap).

Just out of curiosity do you have an nVidia GPU? if you force the laptop to only use the Intel GPU built on the CPU (assuming you have an i-series Intel processor) is there an improvement on the battery life?

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Installed the update yesterday. Wake from sleep total system freeze still not fixed. Happens almost every time when I wake up my Mac (mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13"), only hard restart helps.

Overall I'm very happy about Mountain Lion, but these freezes are disappointing and I can't remember things ever being so bad with any of my Windows machines.

I did upgrade from Lion. I guess clean install should be in order...

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Installed the update yesterday. Wake from sleep total system freeze still not fixed. Happens almost every time when I wake up my Mac (mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13"), only hard restart helps.

Overall I'm very happy about Mountain Lion, but these freezes are disappointing and I can't remember things ever being so bad with any of my Windows machines.

I did upgrade from Lion. I guess clean install should be in order...

Wow... Did a quick google search for my problem - it seems that many have it. And we share the same common thing - we use Transmit (by Panic) and it is to fault.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4148731?start=75&tstart=0

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Much too late for the migration assistant fix. Apples interim solution....wipe and reinstall.

Useless tech support in this case.

rodrigomarrafao

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
Well on my mid 2009 MacBook Pro the battery life is a joke. It needs to be serviced, but prior to ML I could get something like 4 hrs, now I'm lucky if I got 2.

Everything Apple is doing lately is a bad taste joke. Well at least the competition is doing a better job than usual now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.