Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, Arstechnica had reported that many users had found a significant decrease in battery life after upgrading to OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion).
Ars writer Chris Foresman, after extended testing, discovered that the battery life of his Retina MacBook Pro review unit dropped 38% from its previous 8-hours.
The same findings were reported by many others in Apple's own support forums, and there were some reports that the development versions of OS X 10.8.1 may have addressed this issue.

MacObserver has conducted battery life tests on the final release build of OS X 10.8.1 to see if there had indeed been any improvement. Their testing process included using an Automator script that launched several apps and navigated to websites. The script would cycle this process continuously. The tests were run on a 2011 Macbook Pro. Here are their findings:

20120823_mlbatterylifechart.jpg

First, they were able to confirm the drop in battery life when going from OS X 10.7.4 to OS X 10.8. The drop they measured was 33% (2 hours and 10 minutes) just from upgrading OS X to 10.8. The "No WiFi Icon" was a "fix" of suggested by one of their readers, but showed no appreciable effect. They did find that OS X 10.8.1 (beta and release) builds did improve the battery life stats, adding as much as 52 minutes in their testing. The overall numbers, however, are still well under their battery life measurements in OS X 10.7.4 (Lion).

Apple is currently testing OS X 10.8.2, but there's been no word if that build helps further improve battery times back towards OS X Lion levels.

Article Link: Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.1 Improves Battery Life Somewhat

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i'll just wait until 10.8.11 or so to upgrade, if ever

but good work for all you beta testers

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
Maybe the OS is doing more things behind the scenes now? There are quite a few things that may be happening with iCloud that were not occurring in 10.7.

LorPGDL

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2011
considering this i'd rather spend the 16 € on a few beers tonight than upgrade :D

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
So I can't think of a single reason to upgrade to Mountain Lion as of yet. But a good reason not to already.

I'll pop on along on 10.8.11 too :D

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
That "Up to 7 Hours" flag Apple claims is starting to look like a Dell advertisement with an asterisk accompanied by 4 paragraphs of disclaimers. :(

I'll keep plodding along in ancient Snow Leopard with 8+ hours.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So I can't think of a single reason to upgrade to Mountain Lion as of yet. But a good reason not to already.

I'll pop on along on 10.8.11 too :D

airplay is that single reason for me =/. I am always by a dock though if need be

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
My 2011 MBP high-end has the worst battery life, and for some odd reason Apple Genius bar keeps saying it's perfect. If you ask me when all I use is Safari - zero flash and Excel and Word I should get my 7 hours or at least darn near close. I get less than 2.5 hours before I'm at 10%. Something is fishy...

angrynstupid

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
Too many bells and whistles

Too many bells and whistles. The OS is being dumbed down for non-pro users who need useless eye candy to keep their attention.

DaveLG526

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
California
How did this happen?

Forget about the details but focus on how this got out into the users hands with an obvious and significant flaw.

Apple has long been known for good battery life yet the new OS shipped with significant flaw that was found by users quickly. What happened to quality control and customer satisfaction watchdogs within Apple.

The tech press needs to focus less on the "tech" in this story and discover what went very wrong within Apple.

ctcampbell

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
How many times was each of these tests performed? The graph shown there is meaningless without the ability to inspect the methods employed to gather the data. Do each test 10 times then graph it and I'll believe the results.

payers

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
I will go out on a limb. It's MacRumors that drains the battery! Before you go off half cocked, look at what Flash is doing when you load MacRumors. at one point it was using 136% of my cpu. All the ads between the articles are in Flash! If you force quit the plug-in it will extend your battery. Freakn why doesn't MacRumor require HTML 5?

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Earlier this month, Arstechnica had reported that many users had found a significant decrease in battery life after upgrading to OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion).The same findings were reported by many others in Apple's own support forums, and there were some reports that the development versions of OS X 10.8.1 may have addressed this issue.

MacObserver has conducted battery life tests on the final release build of OS X 10.8.1 to see if there had indeed been any improvement. Their testing process included using an Automator script that launched several apps and navigated to websites. The script would cycle this process continuously. The tests were run on a 2011 Macbook Pro. Here are their findings:

First, they were able to confirm the drop in battery life when going from OS X 10.7.4 to OS X 10.8. The drop they measured was 33% (2 hours and 10 minutes) just from upgrading OS X to 10.8. The "No WiFi Icon" was a "fix" of suggested by one of their readers, but showed no appreciable effect. They did find that OS X 10.8.1 (beta and release) builds did improve the battery life stats, adding as much as 52 minutes in their testing. The overall numbers, however, are still well under their battery life measurements in OS X 10.7.4 (Lion).

Apple is currently testing OS X 10.8.2, but there's been no word if that build helps further improve battery times back towards OS X Lion levels.

Article Link: Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.1 Improves Battery Life Somewhat

moepstar

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2012
IMO they miss something significant:

Battery-Life on Snow Leopard.

The 17" MBP (mid-2009) i'm writing this from used to get ~2hrs more than 10.7.x ever got - and, being on 10.8.1 now, haven't yet got them back :(

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
They should've also conducted a test with notifications disabled. Seems like checking for push notifications could drain the battery.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I may be in the minority here but 10.8.1 has decimated battery life on my MBPr. I can literally watch the percentage go down several points per minute. I didn't see any issues with 10.8.0.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I will go out on a limb. It's MacRumors that drains the battery! Before you go off half cocked, look at what Flash is doing when you load MacRumors. at one point it was using 136% of my cpu. All the ads between the articles are in Flash! If you force quit the plug-in it will extend your battery. Freakn why doesn't MacRumor require HTML 5?

Flash ads are miserable for battery life, but rather than force-quit or uninstall the (sometimes useful) plugin, just use the ClickToFlash extension (which also does some nice things with video delivery). Or an equivalent Flash “blocker” (more like Flash “wrangler”).

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
The update absolutely killed my battery life. I have an early 2011 13inch pro and at 98% right now it says I have 3:45 min left.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
I may be in the minority here but 10.8.1 has decimated battery life on my MBPr. I can literally watch the percentage go down several points per minute. I didn't see any issues with 10.8.0.

Likewise. I was fine with my MBPR's battery life on 10.8.0, installed 10.8.1, and couldn't even get through my afternoon meetings yesterday without running back for my power brick. Something seems to have gone brutally wrong with this update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.