Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fortune reports on a new analyst report published by Pacific Crest's Andy Hargreaves. The report was written after a meeting on Wednesday with Apple's Peter Oppenheimer and Eddy Cue, Apple Senior Vice President for Internet services and software.

apple_tv_2012_interface-500x308.jpg
Hargreaves' interpretation of that meeting was that an Apple television would be "extremely unlikely" in the near term. Hargreaves writes:
Relative to the television market, Eddy Cue, Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services, reiterated the company's mantra that it will enter markets where it feels it can create great customer experiences and address key problems. The key problems in the television market are the poor quality of the user interface and the forced bundling of pay TV content, in our view. While Apple could almost certainly create a better user interface, Mr. Cue's commentary suggested that this would be an incomplete solution from Apple's perspective unless it could deliver content in a way that is different from the current multichannel pay TV model.
As pointed out by Fortune's Philip Elmer-DeWitt, SEC rules prohibit sharing insider information that might have material affect on the company's stock, so Hargreaves' interpretation is just that - his interpretation of Apple's comments about delivering a "great customer experience and addressing key problems."

Apple has been rumored to be entering the television market for some time. The most recent rumors, however, have suggested that Apple is still deep in negotiations for content for their television services.

Article Link: Apple's Eddy Cue Suggests Apple Television Unlikely in Near-Term

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
No surprises here. Siri certainly wouldn't be 'cracking' the answer to any major concerns I have with how I currently use televisions.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Maybe this is the only thing they keeping secret?:)

He's bluffing!

EDIT: Also STILL on that same mockup?

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I understand that logic. Too often Apple has released products too soon, before they make them really special. I think a perfect apple TV is worth waiting for, especially considering its anticipated price. And honestly, I won't buy it for the interface alone. I have an AppleTV already for that. I want the content. Thats what will make it great and its worth the wait!

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
Mr. Cue's commentary suggested that this would be an incomplete solution from Apple's perspective unless it could deliver content in a way that is different from the current multichannel pay TV model.

Hmmm, interesting to see the word 'unless' in there...

tjhenn

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
I just don't see how developing a TV, which have traditionally had a lifespan of 7-10 years or more, is going to be able to keep pace from a hardware upgrade cycle of the cpu/memory/other upgrades to the "brains" of the system. Yes you can do software upgrades, but eventually they will outpace 6 year old hardware. But maybe they have a solution.

Slightly off topic.
Every time I see the Apple TV interface (and I have one), I cringe. Even after several months, I'm not used to the more cluttered looking buttons on the TV. I much preferred the older, cleaner interface.

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
Yep. An Apple Television will come when content can be used the way Apple wants it. If they released one right now. It would essentially be similar to an normal TV with the Apple TV turned on all the time. What good would that do?

A TV with FaceTime? That would be nice, but that is one of the last things on my list when it comes to televisions.

Voice dictation would be nice, but there is nothing like changing it manually with a touchscreen remote and always ensuring it works.

I think we will see an Apple Television set or box set when content can be delivered properly and have great hardware integration.

Hmmm, interesting to see the word 'unless' in there...

But it doesn't mean anything coming from a random journalist....

Like if I were to say "Apple will never create a teleportation device, unless they somehow figured out a way to instantaneously transport people over long distances"

Do you think now it will happen because a) it's on the internet and b) the word "unless" was used?

String

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Good news. I think the Apple Tv set would be a mistake. The market is both crowded and saturated. I just don't see an opportunity here.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Thank god. Now everyone can shut up about this mythical Apple Television. The Apple TV already exists; it's that little black $99 set top box that will slowly add more content over time, and eventually apps.

I bet that one analyst that has been predicting an Apple TV for years feels like a fool now.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
iTunes Music Store was made possible when music distributors entered into distribution agreements with Apple. They didn't do agreements with each artist. That would have been too "byzantine". One notable holdout, The Beatles, waited about a decade to cave.

TV is similar. Apple would have to enter into agreements with distributors. That either means aggregators like cable and satellite systems, or individual "channels". Trying to make deals with each and every production company would be "byzantine".

However Apple does have considerable experience with micro payments and micro developers so it is conceivable individual production companies could side-step channels and aggregators.

However due to the economies of scale involved, most have already entered into long term distribution agreements with existing channels, or have been sold outright to the likes of Comcast and Time-Warner.

Rocketman

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
iTunes Music Store was made possible when music distributors entered into distribution agreements with Apple. They didn't do agreements with each artist. That would have been too "byzantine". One notable holdout, The Beatles, waited about a decade to cave.

TV is similar. Apple would have to enter into agreements with distributors. That either means aggregators like cable and satellite systems, or individual "channels". Trying to make deals with each and every production company would be "byzantine".

However Apple does have considerable experience with micro payments and micro developers so it is conceivable individual production companies could side-step channels and aggregators.

However due to the economies of scale involved, most have already entered into long term distribution agreements with existing channels, or have been sold outright to the likes of Comcast and Time-Warner.

Rocketman

each production company owns dozens of channels, its not like you have to deal on a channel by channel basis.

the issue is that they will only sell in bundles

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I understand that logic. Too often Apple has released products too soon, before they make them really special. I think a perfect apple TV is worth waiting for, especially considering its anticipated price. And honestly, I won't buy it for the interface alone. I have an AppleTV already for that. I want the content. Thats what will make it great and its worth the wait!

Wat? That's Apple's biggest draw. They didn't invent the smartphone but when they did release one, they did it right. Same for the MP3 player and the tablet. Much like Ford didn't invent the car nor did Google the search engine but they did it in a way that was better than everyone else at the time.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
People don't upgrade TVs every 5 years. How will Apple force them to do so? Create an unsupported IOS version but it won't work :D

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I just don't see how developing a TV, which have traditionally had a lifespan of 7-10 years or more, is going to be able to keep pace from a hardware upgrade cycle of the cpu/memory/other upgrades to the "brains" of the system. Yes you can do software upgrades, but eventually they will outpace 6 year old hardware. But maybe they have a solution.

I don't like it, but I know the answer to that. Charge for EVERYTHING else, including OS upgrades. The TV is all about consuming content, so it makes sense to create one and then charge for every bit of content you consume on it. I think this is why cable companies don't want anything to do with an Apple TV, because it eats away from their profit margins. And the content creators don't have any real incentive to go with Apple over current distribution avenues.

dbit

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
They still seem to be fumbling around with UI and design ideas in this arena.

The people in the TV industry are pretty adamant about keeping Apple out, or at worst a very minor player. They've seen the way Apple can dominate a market when they make a major ideological breakthrough. Luckily for them it looks like that device is not here yet.

I agree that it makes little sense for an actual tv. I could see them producing a box and a screen, a premium apple branded screen and a refined Apple TV product. Putting the two in one doesn't make any sense from a hardware/upgrade perspective. Keep the brain in a small box like the current one and keep people upgrading the box. No one is going to trust a TV with a shelf life of a computer, especially with Apple's regularly planned obsolescence.

engg2000

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Comment, NO
Apple's TV

Steve's obviously found a way to be better. ITS OBVIOUS and I'm only posting this on this site once.

Can you imagine if you could subscribe to your favorite shows or channels rather than pay for your channels or series of channels, and watch them while they're being broadcast through Apple's TV?

If you miss the show you have any time to access that show (PVR in the cloud).

People who have Apple TV box won't be able to watch live. You need the TV for this feature.

Timeline for TV is dependent on when the broadcast rights can be secured.

e.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.