Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
i just dont get this...

does the world really need a smaller iPad?

Sure Apple tell us every year what we actually want....but im not sure we need this.

Im sure they will sell really well initially, but im pretty sure after a good run of sales, the full size iPad eat up all the sales.

Its a stupid product. Why design a tablet, tell the world how mazing everything is this size in your hand, then later on say, actually we can do it smaller too..

Its still too big to fit in a pocket, or too big to be a phone+, so whats the point in it exactly?

People with smaller hands lol?

I have an iPad. I took it on vacation out to SDG and Comic Con.

It was great for having at the hotel, airport and at my friends house.

It was not so great for sight seeing, taking around and actually at Comic Con. Just too bulky for on the go and you need a backpack or case for it. The mini would fit in your cargo pants pocket or a womans purse, etc.

The whole time, I actually was like 'man...I hope they come out with that mini-ipad' because it would be great for things like I just did.

There is a market for it. Really.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
As far as the home screen goes, what are you looking for? Animated backgrounds? If something increased its actual functionality like folders did, I'm all for it. Wasting system resources so people can play with their OS? I'd rather just have a nice app.

After having recently picked up a Nexus 7 and actually playing with Android for the first time, there are a few nicer things about its home screen.
-Not all installed apps need to be on the home screen.
-You can place the icons in any of the available "spots" on the screen. They don't need to go left->right before dropping down to the next row
-The widgets really are a nice touch. It's nice to be able to go to the home screen and see the subject of my most recent emails.

Will I leave the iOS-sphere any time soon because of this? No. Would still be nice if Apple would do something to revamp the home screen though.

I agree though, things like animated backgrounds are novelty items that just waste resources. You are able to not use them on Android though, so if you really don't care about it you can always turn it off. I assume Apple would do something similar if it were to implement such feature.

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
I have an iPad. I took it on vacation out to SDG and Comic Con.

It was great for having at the hotel, airport and at my friends house.

It was not so great for sight seeing, taking around and actually at Comic Con. Just too bulky for on the go and you need a backpack or case for it. The mini would fit in your cargo pants pocket or a womans purse, etc.

The whole time, I actually was like 'man...I hope they come out with that mini-ipad' because it would be great for things like I just did.

There is a market for it. Really.
What would you actually do with it apart from fabricate a few so-and-so reasons to generally browse the web? If you were trying to read your iPad more than sight-see, and go round Comic-con, then you're using it for all the wrong reasons. For the hotel, airport, friends house; perfect.

iPhone/iPod Touch yes... iPad no in your circumstances. Fine if you want to use a tablet for that use, but 7" devices should be eBook's/Video consumption only.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
It's quite interesting that Apple (if the product is even released) has allowed the bezel to be that slim, because when you imagine holding it, your thumb would likely cover the edge of the screen.

i think thats why its more rounded along the sides, like the original iphone -- to give your hand more to grip on the sides.

i dont think we'll see that on the full size ipads for the inverse reason -- it has sufficient bezel and size/weight is a premium.

----------

A 7" device is not held like an iPhone though. Not even close!

...and if it's as light as they predict (see Gruber), nor will it be held like an ipad. it will be held like the unique object it is. thats why im guessing it will have thin bezels and rounded sides for gripping.

----------

i just dont get this...
Its still too big to fit in a pocket, or too big to be a phone+, so whats the point in it exactly?

...the point is to block competitors from diverting marketshare based on price umbrellas. thats the entire point.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/07/21/umbrella

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I have to concur with Apple on this (assuming they are actually going to release an iPad Mini).

I find my Nexus 7 very appealing for playing games, reading even browsing the web. I still much prefer the screen of my iPad (yes I can tell the difference) and I'd rather type and check email (productivity things) on the larger screen but as a media toy/secondary device the Nexus 7 form factor is perfect.

As for the Android widgets and customization, it's not a big enough deal for me to leave the Apple ecosystem (my iMac, iPad and iPhone all constantly updated and able to push to my apple TVs), but the 7"-8" form factor is very nice. TBH it makes an "iPad Mini - Surface Pro" combo of devices sound pretty desirable!

TechyRod

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
South FL
I do believe this is coming to reality! more affordable and still a great product. I already have family members requesting one for holidays so I believe this is what apple is looking forward to in hopes on making an impact on the smaller tablet market. pretty smart! Going to be intresting none the less

zackboll

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
We've seen these before and the product never got released (the supposedly anticipated iP5 when the iP4S appeared).

All honesty though, an iPad mini wouldnt be significantly cheaper in proportion to its size. Really, it'll be more expensive as the same parts have to be smaller (generally more expensive to buy) and production costs would go up as it could be more fussy to put together not being human-sized for human-hands.

I personally hope it doesn't get released, but if it does; it'll either seriously sink (if too expensive) or swim if extremely competitive to kill off the newest 7" products to hit the shelves (Nexus 7 etc). I'd never want one or buy one just because my hands are too big for that sized device. Especially if the iPad/iPad 2 res is shrunk and the interface is not adjusted accordingly (pretty unlikely as it would cause too many developer headaches). Also, this would kill the prev-gen 8GB device that appears after every new iPad release.

I'll finish off with; if you want a book reader, get an e-reader. If you want a media/business device, get a 10" tablet. Don't buy a 7" tablet at all. :D

I don't really think this post has any merit. I seriously doubt that the 'parts' are going to be any smaller. I do think it is probably safe to say that the hypothetical iPad mini will probably use the new 32nm A5 presently used in later iPad2 and ATV3. Going to a smaller process usually decreases manufacturing costs and increases yield (smaller average feature distance means less surface area means more chips per silicon wafer. Also in more complex designs, the defect rate often goes down as a function of chip surface area).

Also, if we took your incorrect assumption as true, the components would not be harder to assemble. Foxcon like every other large scale PCB manufacturer is machine assembled.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

burchb

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
There's a difference between a RENDER and a PHYSICAL PART. Those colored cases are actual parts and they line up with all the reports about the smaller iPad.

Or maybe it's case manufacturers jumping the gun, guessing at specs based on on the rumors and trying to be the first to market.

I'm still not believing it. Apple promotes the Ipad as the iEverything and the innovator. To copy the form factor of others and to be a single use ereader doesn't jive for me.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Or maybe it's case manufacturers jumping the gun, guessing at specs based on on the rumors and trying to be the first to market.

I'm still not believing it. Apple promotes the Ipad as the iEverything and the innovator. To copy the form factor of others and to be a single use ereader doesn't jive for me.

Rear shells of a smaller iPad have been leaked. Also, those larger flex cables.

I mean, it's just like how there's an 11" Air and a 13" Air. Different sized iPods etc.

People who mostly will be reading/consuming and want something to fit in a purse or over the shoulder satchel will get the smaller iPad.

iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, iPad mini .... seems like a good iOS lineup

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
If I see an article with "iPad Mini" with a capital "M" one more time I'm going to jump in front of a bus.

It's iPod mini / iPod nano, Mac mini, so it'll also be iPad mini, not iPad Mini.

If you write Mini, you might as well spell iPad as Ipad.

:rolleyes:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
If I see an article with "iPad Mini" with a capital "M" one more time I'm going to jump in front of a bus.

It's iPod mini / iPod nano, Mac mini, so it'll also be iPad mini, not iPad Mini.

If that's all it takes for you to end things, I'd say there's more going on than simple "mis-capitalization".

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

I'm sure someone somewhere will miss you...and your hyper-critical capitalization ways. Maybe. :p

If that's all it takes for you to end things, I'd say there's more going on than simple "mis-capitalization".

Counseling needed perhaps?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The bezel size depends on the size/weight of the thing. the iPhone bezel is quite small. That's because you don't need your thumb to brace the device. So, a large bezel isn't automatically necessary -- it depends on the device heft.

Yeah. I posted this before - when the "thin bezel" rumor came out, I picked up my Kindle 3 to see how I hold that (because normally I don't think about how I hold it!). My thumb ended up just slightly rounding the side - so, for me in any case, a thin bezel would not be an issue for a significantly lighter device.

----------

i know what you were trying to do here, but you failed. iPad mini will be a step down from the new iPad, not a slight step up

Depends on your point of view. For me, it's a step up from the new iPad because size is the main reason I haven't yet purchased any iPad.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
After having recently picked up a Nexus 7 and actually playing with Android for the first time, there are a few nicer things about its home screen.
-Not all installed apps need to be on the home screen.
-You can place the icons in any of the available "spots" on the screen. They don't need to go left->right before dropping down to the next row
-The widgets really are a nice touch. It's nice to be able to go to the home screen and see the subject of my most recent emails.

Will I leave the iOS-sphere any time soon because of this? No. Would still be nice if Apple would do something to revamp the home screen though.

I agree though, things like animated backgrounds are novelty items that just waste resources. You are able to not use them on Android though, so if you really don't care about it you can always turn it off. I assume Apple would do something similar if it were to implement such feature.

Those are all functional examples, I wouldn't mind that. Just as far as it "looking stale" I don't really care very much.

----------

What would you actually do with it apart from fabricate a few so-and-so reasons to generally browse the web? If you were trying to read your iPad more than sight-see, and go round Comic-con, then you're using it for all the wrong reasons. For the hotel, airport, friends house; perfect.

iPhone/iPod Touch yes... iPad no in your circumstances. Fine if you want to use a tablet for that use, but 7" devices should be eBook's/Video consumption only.

Why wouldn't a 7" device work just as well for any purpose other than browsing the web? Garageband would work just as well, my fitness apps would all work just as well - while not wasting my iPhone's battery and generally doing everything better.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
I'm going to jump in front of a bus.

Average bus speed in London is 7mph, you may get some slight grazing.

When the iPad Mini (hay you! bus now!....wait a bit and you'll get 3 = major grazing) eventually goes on sale I'm still going to post...

"iPad mini?...pah! not going to happen!"

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
The smaller iPad is definitely coming and yet it never ceases to amaze just how many people have some sort of neurotic hysteria over a new product launch that doesn't appeal to THEM, personally.

These types in denial about the purported size, the target market, and what a dead man once said about smaller tablets, really need to get a grip, along with that other oxygen-wasting population, those denouncing the design and features of the forthcoming iPhone.

There are many people who are going to bite Apple's hand off for a 7.85" iPad and I'll be one of them.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
No disrespect intended, just flippant to make the point that the canonisation of Jobs has become a complete (and sad) joke here on MR, "wouldn't happen under Steve...." etc.

People still cling to his every word as concrete proof of Apple's vision and roadmap moving forward. It's delusional.

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
I tried to read through everyones posts... did we figure this was a flash? It would make sense. 10" is too big to use regularly as a camera, iPhone has a fine camera for a phone... 7" iPad with a great camera would differentiate the product.

A $199 iPad 7" without a camera for schools. Teachers don't like to see themselves picking their noses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.