Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage43-150x41.png

NYTimes reports on the responses from Apple and Samsung about today's patent verdict which found largely in favor of Apple and resulted in an over $1 billion verdict against Samsung.

Apple's spokesperson Katie Cotton:
We are grateful to the jury for their service and for investing the time to listen to our story and we were thrilled to be able to finally tell it. The mountain of evidence presented during the trail showed that Samsung's copying went far deeper than even we knew. The lawsuits between Apple and Samsung were about much more than patents or money. They were about values. At Apple, we value originality and innovation and pour our lives into making the best products on earth. We make these products to delight our customers, not for our competitors to flagrantly copy. We applaud the court for finding Samsung's behavior willful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn't right.
Samsung issued this statement:
Today's verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple's claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer.
The jury found that Samsung owes Apple $1.05 billion in damages for willfully infringing on Apple's intellectual property.

Article Link: Apple and Samsung Respond to the $1 Billion Patent Verdict

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Team Samsung for the sake of consumers. I could care less who copied who. I don't want these lawsuits to go out of control!

Apple Wins - Apple's Lawyers Win, More Lawsuits, Consumers will eventually lose with less smartphone choices in the market.
Samsung Wins - Apple's Lawyers Lose, Consumers can continue to have the status quo, Apple still is wining regardless.

Everyone copies each other. There patents for some things are unwarranted. This case should have been dismissed entirely.

Last edited:

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
Glad to see Samsung will really be innovating now. I'd like to see an entire package of innovation, not certain leaps made possible by the copying of other components they saw as unimportant.

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
Team Samsung for the sake of consumers. I could care less who copied who. I don't want these lawsuits to go out of control!

I love Apple

but as a self-interested consumer

I think we benefit from this stealing, copying etc.
Instead, the lawyers are the big winners.

Apple could still dominate and crush samsung without winning the court battle
Put those time, dollars, and values into defeating everyone even further

^Spoken as a selfish new iphone buyer Sept 21 (expected)

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
"We've filed for over 200 new patents for the iPhone and we intend to protect them." -Steve Jobs, 2007

Sounds like Steve would've let this happen.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Although I do believe a few of Apple's patent claims were valid, the rest were just BS and completely unwarranted Seriously, a patent on a rectangle? Come on.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Cant wait to see what Microsoft will come up with...what? wait? their not in this fight?

sjestus

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2001
Florida
This further solidifies why I'll be purchasing a Samsung Galaxy Nexus as my next mobile device of choice.

Copyright law needs to be radically changed to favor the consumer, otherwise we'll be subject to a complete lack of innovation and a technological regression for all society.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Although I do believe a few of Apple's patent claims were valid, the rest were just BS and completely unwarranted Seriously, a patent on a rectangle? Come on.

Just proves you didn't actually even read the patent claims.

This is completely expected, but I expect this decision will stand, at least in part.

jW

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
This further solidifies why I'll be purchasing a Samsung Galaxy Nexus as my next mobile device of choice.

Copyright law needs to be radically changed to favor the consumer, otherwise we'll be subject to a complete lack of innovation and a technological regression for all society.

so you are going to go for a lesser phone just to spite a company that doesn't affect your life?

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I'm all for competition, but what did Samsung innovate? Obviously they get a lot of their ideas from Apple. It's just so obvious. They're not discrete at all.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
Samsung said:
Today's verdict… will lead to fewer choices [and] less innovation….
This doesn't make sense to me. Because companies like Samsung and Google cannot use these patents, will it not lead to more innovation, and more choices?

Will this not force these companies to find different ways of implementing the general concepts that Apple's specific patents cover?

These people say it well:
[Samsung is] probably going "Oh no! Now we have to innovate by thinking of our OWN ideas?"
They were accused of copying, which is by definition the complete lack of innovation.
How could copying lead to more choices and further innovation?

Last edited:

FrogsterDude

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
More Inovation

If anything this is going to create more innovation and is a win for consumers. Just goes to show Samsung doesn't know what it means to innovate. They are probably going "Oh no! Now we have to innovate by thinking of our OWN ideas??? What has the world come to??"

What put me on Apple's side was the Samsung document which outlined all the features that are "better" on iPhone and then described how they must try to implement those features into the Galaxy S.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan

They were accused of copying, which is by definition the complete lack of innovation.

You can still buy wicked cool smart phones, just not Samsungs copy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.