Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cook_hero20110204-150x171.png
Apple CEO Tim Cook addressed corporate Apple employees tonight after the massive win from their patent litigation against Samsung. The email, republished by 9to5Mac, is quoted here:
Today was an important day for Apple and for innovators everywhere.

Many of you have been closely following the trial against Samsung in San Jose for the past few weeks. We chose legal action very reluctantly and only after repeatedly asking Samsung to stop copying our work. For us this lawsuit has always been about something much more important than patents or money. It's about values. We value originality and innovation and pour our lives into making the best products on earth. And we do this to delight our customers, not for competitors to flagrantly copy.

We owe a debt of gratitude to the jury who invested their time in listening to our story. We were thrilled to finally have the opportunity to tell it. The mountain of evidence presented during the trial showed that Samsung's copying went far deeper than we knew.

The jury has now spoken. We applaud them for finding Samsung's behavior willful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn't right.

I am very proud of the work that each of you do.

Today, values have won and I hope the whole world listens.

Tim
A jury found that Samsung had willfully infringed on both Apple's patents and trade dress for the iPhone and issued a verdict of over $1 billion in damages to be paid to Apple.

Article Link: Tim Cook Addresses Apple Employees After Lawsuit Victory

iSengKin

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2012
don't worry Tim Cook, you have all our ears. As majority here are Apple fans. :D

Party time Apple! ^_^

You deserve this glorious moment! Live it! ;D

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Steve wouldn't have done this. He probably would have written something like:

"We got 'em!

Sent from my iPad" and then go back to doing Steve-stuff.

Still, isn't a lot of this copy and paste from the press release?

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Steve would have been proud of Tim. Tried to work it out with Samsung but when they would not come to terms, he nailed them.

Last edited by a moderator:

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple CEO Tim Cook addressed corporate Apple employees tonight after the massive win from their patent litigation against Samsung. The email, republished by 9to5Mac, is quoted here:A jury found that Samsung had willfully infringed on both Apple's patents and trade dress for the iPhone and issued a verdict of over $1 billion in damages to be paid to Apple.

Article Link: Tim Cook Addresses Apple Employees After Lawsuit Victory

Nice! Can apple make an advertisement with this? :D

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
first Tim announced ... "drinks are on the house"

and then he broke out the "Kariem McFarlin" pinata for everyone to join in.

Last edited:

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
Well said Timmy. Well said.

For those who wish to read Samsung's statement.

"Today’s verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple’s claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer."

Taken from WSJ.
Posted for completeness purposes.

Last edited:

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Just goes to show if you do what Apple asks then they won't have to take you to court. A lesson Samsung found out the hard way.

davester

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2001
Perth, Australia
Tim, you were exceptional in upholding the value of innovation and bring this to the obvious conclusion that we all waited for. I only wish Steve had been around to see it. Or perhaps he watched the proceedings of it unfolding, somewhere over the rainbow...

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
Hope the lawyers vetted that speech. I'm sure there's a legal difference between patent infringement and stealing. It's the type of thing a an appeals lawyer would jump all over as contempt of court.

fm.illuminatus

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
That must be Tim's face right now...

I was thinking that.

But on a more serious note, this is pretty much a good call. Samsung's entire business model of late has been simply to knock off everything Apple makes, then insult Apple customers for not buying the knock offs.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
don't worry Tim Cook, you have all our ears. As majority here are Apple fans. :D

Party time Apple! ^_^

You deserve this glorious moment! Live it! ;D

Were Apple fans. I love all my Apple products, but I am now done with this company that is trying to sue there way into a monopoly. I will keep what I have, but will not be purchasing anything new from them. I know I will get negative comments since I didn't give Apple praise, and the faithful do not look past the :apple: symbol.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Well said Timmy. Well said.

For those who wish to read Samsung's statement.

"Today’s verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple’s claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer."

Taken from WSJ.
Posted for completeness purposes.

"Samsung will continue to copy and offer cheaper, knocked off copies to consumers" :cool::cool::cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.