Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bitsoda

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
iPad mini was the obvious naming choice.

"iPad Air" would have been a really dumb name. Apple wouldn't make that mistake.

There are two reasons for this:
  • The MacBook was originally 13.3" inches, the MacBook Air was also 13.3" inches. So the screen size remained the same, but the thickness and weight dropped. Unless this iPad "Air" was also 9.7" and significantly thinner and lighter, the "Air" moniker would be inappropriate. Obviously if the display is only 7.85" it is going to be thinner and lighter.
  • Apple will eventually phase out the "Air" suffix. In two years or so, the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lines will merge into one. Every MacBook notebook will be as thin and light as a MacBook Air, with the power of a MacBook Pro. Why introduce another "Air" product when it isn't going to be around in a couple of years.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Ipad mini to be called Ipad mini?

Since when is this news? Might solve the confusion between big Ipod and Ipod mini but it's still the same thing.

Also I struggle to see who would want to buy the Ipad mini over a reduced in price Ipad 2.

I think it's safe to say the 9.7" Ipad will continue to lead flagship sales for years to come. Ipad mini will only be a fashion product people looking at price will go for a more advanced old generation Ipad.

Fashion product?!?
News flash: there are certain advantages to a physically smaller and lighter product that have nothing to do with fashion (or price).
No, that is definitely not safe to say.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Please Apple, just release an iPod touch with updated internals and a decent camera. That’s all I’m asking for!!!

Friend! I am in agreement. The iPod Touch was/is a perfect not-phone PDA. Too many people put on Dataplan blinders and don't seem to grasp that there is still a market for pocket sized non-celluar devices. An iPad Mini at 7-8 inch is not a good replacment for that.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Please Apple, just release an iPod touch with updated internals and a decent camera. That’s all I’m asking for!!!
How about some GPS too while we are at it?

Friend! I am in agreement. The iPod Touch was/is a perfect not-phone PDA. Too many people put on Dataplan blinders and don't seem to grasp that there is still a market for pocket sized non-celluar devices. An iPad Mini at 7-8 inch is not a good replacment for that.
I manage on my pre-paid Android phone.

mlg1998

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
Yes people who don't already own an Ipad maybe.

But when did Apple start targeting the low price tablet market?

Anybody buying a 7" one will use it, put it down get bored of it, try an Ipad and instantly prefer it.

It appears they will be soon. Why wouldn't they? 7" tablets in general are selling very well, are they not? My wife, for example, chose a Nook tablet for its size alone, and I bought an iPad. Now if there had been an iPad Mini at the time, she would have definitely gone with the mini as she has no interest in a 10" tablet.

At this point we can only assume the mini would be close to identical to the iPad, so how would someone get bored with a smaller version of the same thing when they have no desire to own the larger one?

Believe it or not, some people think the iPad is just too big, but the mini would be perfect. Do you honestly think Apple would make one if there wasn't a demand for it?

iluomo

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009

Anybody buying a 7" one will use it, put it down get bored of it, try an Ipad and instantly prefer it.

Um, since when did you become the authority on what others will or will not like?

I bought an iPad 2 for my wife and daughter. Every time I use it I think it's too heavy and too big. Although it will be nice not to have to spend the absurd amount the regular iPad costs, price isn't the prime motivator for me.

I REALLY want this product and I'm SURE I will like it. So speak for yourself next time.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

And I can tell you 100% you are wrong. Cause you are not just speaking for yourself, not even for many people, but for everyone (by saying anyone). And I can prove you wrong right here. I have an iPad. I use it and it's nice but I've started using it less now that the newness wore out. If I had the money, I'd pick up the 7" iPad (I was given the iPad by my mom) cause it is definitely more what I want (a glorified ebook reader). Hell, I really like that Nexus 7". The only thing if I were looking to buy a tablet that would have me reserved is 1. what the game selection on it is and 2. The rumors of the 7" ipad. I'd rather have the 7" ipad since I already have an iphone and macbook pro. It's not that important to me but would be nice if it played nicely with the eco system I already am in.

Or, in short, speak for yourself. Don't speak for the rest of us. Cause what you want is not necessarily what some one else wants.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I still think these iPad mini rumors are a complete crock.

:p

Why? Apple offers laptops at different display sizes, why not the iPad?:rolleyes:

What's wrong with Apple offering a smaller, lighter, more portable iPad which can be held longer without discomfort? When it comes to the current iPad, you have a tablet that's too heavy to be held comfortably for an extended period of time and too big for a woman's purse or guy's cargo pants pocket which means most iPads spend most of the time at home and on a lap/table. By giving up just under two inches, you get an iPad which can be taken with you without any second thoughts (like your iPhone which it will complement). You have an iPad which you can hold comfortably in bed or on the couch. Let's face it, a 9.7" display still falls way short of the web-viewing experience you get on a 13"+ display. Now if Apple gets the weight of the 9.7" iPad down to a pound or just under, that would be great.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
  • Apple will eventually phase out the "Air" suffix. In two years or so, the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lines will merge into one. Every MacBook notebook will be as thin and light as a MacBook Air, with the power of a MacBook Pro. Why introduce another "Air" product when it isn't going to be around in a couple of years.

Really? Doesn't it come down to specs v weight. If you can make a laptop that is Pro by today's standards in an Air form factor, why not make a not-too-fat laptop that has amazing specs?

The new iPhone could be thinner... or they could keep it the same thickness and make the battery amazing. Won't there always be a divide between people who want notebooks for portability vs people who want power?

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Really? Doesn't it come down to specs v weight. If you can make a laptop that is Pro by today's standards in an Air form factor, why not make a not-too-fat laptop that has amazing specs?

The new iPhone could be thinner... or they could keep it the same thickness and make the battery amazing. Won't there always be a divide between people who want notebooks for portability vs people who want power?

Many of us would like to have our cake and eat it - specs that most people will find amazing and probably much more than most of them will ever need combined with great portability (light). That seems to be Apple's objective. Apple is a consumer-driven company now and rightfully so. I have a feeling Apple will drop four things next year: the Mac Pro, the iMac, hard drives and internal optical drives.

appleormac

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
Austin, TX
No mini iPad!

There won't be any iPad mini because they would have to create a whole new section on the app store for the new screen size! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.