Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
"iPad Air" was another name floating around.

This makes more sense to me considering the fact that the iPod mini name is long gone and the Air is alive on the MacBook line. However, mini would obviously not be a shock considering the ol' iPod mini.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
How did it go from "iPad mini" to "iPad mini will be 7.85 inches" to "7.85 inch iPad to be called iPad Mini"???

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Many of us would like to have our cake and eat it - specs that most people will find amazing and probably much more than most of them will ever need combined with great portability (light). That seems to be Apple's objective. Apple is a consumer-driven company now and rightfully so. I have a feeling Apple will drop four things next year: the Mac Pro, the iMac, hard drives and internal optical drives.

Why would they drop the iMac?!

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Flip-flopping on a grand scale!

Apple: Oh we're not going to move from our 10" screen, we tested it for years, what's the point? Look at our competitors screens? Aren't they small and pathetic? Our are a much better size...

Hold on! Gee, that Amazon really was popular! What's that, totally global sell-out or the nexus 7, which has a 7" screen and has a full operating system that the phones have and not a 'cut down version' like the iPad has, along the Siri equivalent that works with almost any accent, unlike Siri and can actually give you valuable info outside the U.S.? (that blows away Siri in all the independent tests and works worldwide), An OS that is also unlocked so you can jump and share between any app in the operating system, not just thew ones we 'approve' of, which isn't locked down by the way...

Hmmmm let's flip-flop and back pedal! ... Pffft the fan-boys will except anything we go back on

Boghog

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
Hopefully the iPad Mini will be stylus based to help target a slightly different market as well.

Amen. My major gripe with the iPad in a school context is: no usable stylus - at least none good enough for proper handwriting input. They had this cracked with the Newton.

malcolmffc

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Apple just make the iPodTouch bigger, with the iPhone everywhere there is NO need for it anymore.

Not true - not everyone wants, needs or is eligible for an expensive month-to-month contract that comes with an iPhone. For example, an iPod touch is an ideal present for a kid who keeps wanting to play Angry Birds on their parents' iPhone!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I hope you're right because anyone who owns a device with a retina display (a lot of people) would hate to look at a downgraded display. That's how I feel when I look at my 3rd gen iPod Touch right after I look at my 4S. I only use my Touch now to listen to music when I don't want to run down the battery on my 4S.

Having a 4S and 3ed gen iPad no way would I go back to a non-retina screen. I have no need for a smaller iPad but I think the screen will be a major selling point and a reason people would be willing to spend more than $199.

----------

Apple: Oh we're not going to move from our 10" screen, we tested it for years, what's the point? Look at our competitors screens? Aren't they small and pathetic? Our are a much better size...

Hold on! Gee, that Amazon really was popular! What's that, totally global sell-out or the nexus 7, which has a 7" screen and has a full operating system that the phones have and not a 'cut down version' like the iPad has, along the Siri equivalent that works with almost any accent, unlike Siri and can actually give you valuable info outside the U.S.? (that blows away Siri in all the independent tests and works worldwide), An OS that is also unlocked so you can jump and share between any app in the operating system, not just thew ones we 'approve' of, which isn't locked down by the way...

Hmmmm let's flip-flop and back pedal! ... Pffft the fan-boys will except anything we go back on
This is where we need downvoting back. :mad:

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
Can't imagine they'd keep the Classic or the Shuffle.

All the new design changes the past few years have been centered on the Nano and the Touch.

I think they will keep the Shuffle, if people are still buying it. It's probably just about free for Apple to produce, and it's a "gateway drug" into the Apple ecosystem. I bought the 1st Gen one, and fell off a cliff shortly thereafter. In fact, I was contemplating replacing my 1st Gen with a new one for workouts since it's smaller with a clip and holds more music (yes I still use my Shuffle from 2005, it's basically the oldest piece of electronics that I still use).

----------

No. I have an iPod Classic but would dive on an iPod Touch straight away that had a big enough capacity.

I want iPod Classic look and size with flash memory (128GB or more), but without the iPod touch interface. I already have an iPhone in my pocket, I don't want a duplicate for my music. I'd never put any apps on it. A thin iPod Classic with flash memory would be awesome! Keep it simple.

cdarlington1

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2006
St. John's, Newfoundland
Me

Ipad mini to be called Ipad mini?

Since when is this news? Might solve the confusion between big Ipod and Ipod mini but it's still the same thing.

Also I struggle to see who would want to buy the Ipad mini over a reduced in price Ipad 2.

I think it's safe to say the 9.7" Ipad will continue to lead flagship sales for years to come. Ipad mini will only be a fashion product people looking at price will go for a more advanced old generation Ipad.

I just sold my 9.7" iPad in anticipation of the ipad mini. It won't be a fashion accessory for me. I'll actually use it. An ipad mini will be great for all the things iPads are good for, web, email, movies, reading whilst being small enough to be truly portable. I bought a macbook pro retina so that I can actually do work while on the road.

imho...

Last edited:

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
The mini iPad is too late - already picked up a Nexus 7, which is sweet - but an iPod with access to iTunes Match?

Yeah, that would capture my attention.

----------

That is not logic, that is arbitrariness.

That's probably his point.

;)

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
The mini iPad is too late - already picked up a Nexus 7, which is sweet - but an iPod with access to iTunes Match?

I just saw an advert for the Nexus 7 for the first time on UK TV. £159 for the 8GB version or £199 for the 16GB version - wow that's cheap. I can't see the iPad Mini coming in anywhere near that. This thing is going to seriously eat into iPad sales at that price. I haven't seen one in the shops yet but it looks nice from the photos I've seen. I'm not desperate so I'll probably wait and see what the iPad Mini looks like before deciding. At last the tablet market seems to be hotting up with some genuine competition and choice.

Jasoco

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
The perfect iPod nano to me would be one with the same form factor as the current one, but with WiFi and an App Store. Of course the Apps would be limited, and the store itself probably wouldn't be on the iPod itself, but it could benefit from a few apps.

Aside from that it would make sense to make the nano a "Smart Watch" competitor that connects and links itself to your iPhone/Mac via Bluetooth and WiFi and acts as a sort of secondary display for notifications. So you can have a watch case or a wristband or just clip it on your shirt and know when something happens on your other device. It would also be able to stream music from itself to your other device or from the other device to it so you don't have to have your music on the same thing your headphones are connected to. And could save space on your Flash on your phone for more apps.

Though I guess it's a silly useless idea. And overkill. But it'd be cool. Especially if you could put a tiny WebKit browser on it and load up JavaScript/HTML5 apps for certain things. The geek community would have a lot of fun with a tiny iPod with WiFi and WebKit.

Don't really see a camera though. Especially since it'd be getting into spying territory. They're easy to conceal and would cause a lot of uproar the second someone is caught recording or taking photos in a locker room or something.

Movieman7990

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
iPad Mini has potential

I love the idea of a smaller iPad. Steve Jobs might have hated it publically but there is definitely a good idea here. The Kindle Fire and Google Nexus 7 have been great hits, not to mention the Samsung tablets before that. I would love an iPad mini with 4G/LTE for my commute to work at Dish. Right now I use my iPhone 4, it works, but the 3.5” screen really doesn’t cut it anymore. I use Dish Online to stream a ton of free movies and TV shows to my iPhone, it makes a boring commute fly by. Trying to watch a movie on a 3.5” screen is really uncomfortable; I know I could get an iPad and it would work but I can’t justify the cost considering I’d use it just for streaming media.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
The perfect iPod nano to me would be one with the same form factor as the current one, but with WiFi and an App Store. Of course the Apps would be limited, and the store itself probably wouldn't be on the iPod itself, but it could benefit from a few apps.

Oh, I'd totally be all over that myself. I love the current form factor honestly but it would be cool to be able to get apps to add functionality (and wi-fi would be cool).

Only problem is, with the current form factor, how do you put in a battery that will last any decent amount of time with all that (I can verify that if you connect it to even a weak speaker that alone will drain that battery quick. I have speakers built into my motorcycle helmet and they're not loud at all since they are designed to be right next to my ear, and the nano will only last a little more than 2 hours powering those).

Greysquirrel

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
I can hear it all now, if and when the specs for a Mac Mini are released there will be those complaining that it does not have all the features of the current i Pad, they will want two cameras wi fi 4g, lots of games, hundreds of apps right away and some will even want a built in GPS with roadmaps loaded for all of North America.
Personally if it is priced no more than $250 I will get one. My wife had a Kindle Fire and never goes online with it because she is so used to a Mac she thinks it is a pain in the butt to do so. She just uses it as a reader. If the Mini can get Amazon books I am sure she will dump the Fire and steal my Mini if it ever produced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.