Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two weeks ago, BGR reported that AT&T was planning for a launch of the next-generation iPhone in late September, instituting an "all-hands-on-deck policy" for the last two weeks of the month and into October.

That news was followed last week with word that Verizon had instituted its own vacation blackout for September 21-30, bolstering claims that the new iPhone will launch in the United States on Friday, September 21.

attlogo375wide.jpg

TechCrunch now reports that AT&T's vacation blackout period has been pinned down to the same September 21-30 timeframe seen at Verizon. According to the report, AT&T staff will be training up for an "iconic release" scheduled for that time, with all indications pointing to the next-generation iPhone as the device in question.
According to an AT&T sales rep, AT&T staff has been given a vacation blackout from September 21 to September 30, just like Verizon employees. Our source also mentioned that blue carrier employees are undergoing training for an "iconic release."

Sounds like the next-gen iPhone to me.
Apple is expected to introduce the next iPhone with a media event on September 12, with availability in the United States apparently set for nine days later. Several other major countries are likely to see a launch on that same date, with other markets following quickly in subsequent weeks.

Apple is reportedly also preparing to launch its "iPad mini" in the coming months, but the company is said to be planning a separate media event for October to introduce that product.

Article Link: AT&T's Vacation Blackout Pinned Down to September 21-30 for iPhone Launch

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
MMWWUHAHAHAHAHA.......All the rumors are falling into place..........MY MASTER PLAN IS WORKING. :D

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
Let's hope a factory unlocked AT&T GSM phone is available for sale soon after launch

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Reading up on AT&T recently, why would anyone buy their iPhone from them?

You can buy one from the Apple store and have a nice friendly chat, or from an AT&T store with their apparently pushy store employees.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I wonder if there will be anything new that we haven't seen, or any surprises at all ? I would think Apple would leave something new for the last minute ...

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
That sounds like too many days to be only taking pre-orders.

So lets hope for preorders on the 12th and go an sale the 21st.

I just thought the rumors were saying an October timeframe for release.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007

You can buy one from the Apple store and have a nice friendly chat, or from an AT&T store with their apparently pushy store employees.

When I bought the Iphone 4 and iPhone 4s apple.com would not even load and when it did, the purchase would fail midway. I bought both through att.com and got the phone without the hassle of struggling with apple.com or waiting to go in store and get it.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
That sounds like too many days to be only taking pre-orders.

So lets hope for preorders on the 12th and go an sale the 21st.

I just thought the rumors were saying an October timeframe for release.

Preorders will most likely start on Friday, September 14th.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage

Depends on the lines.

In the past if you missed the pre-order and you knew of some out the way AT&T store was getting a couple non-reserved iPhones on release day you could get in line starting at 4 or 5AM rather then at the local Apple store at 9 or 10PM the night before.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC

Not everyone lives near an Apple store. While I have about 7 Apple Stores all that are about 10 - 45 minutes from my house, others may have to drive/fly hours away!

----------

Released when? 9/12 or 9/21? Or some other date?

I would say iOS 6 would be released a couple of days before. Maybe around 9/19

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
The sad part is we kind of know what to expect. I really hope Apple pulls something off that we aren't expecting.

Mc413

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
How long has the time been in the past between the initial launch and the availability of the system unlocked phones?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.