Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I'm wondering... maybe somebody should sell a third-party upgrade for the legacy MBP's to upgrade them to Retina. I personally don't care about Retina displays much, but that would be nice.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

What is unclear to me is whether the article is suggesting that Retina displays will become standard, i.e. the only screens available or whether they will simply be "available" in all models.

I certainly would be very interested in a quad-core/discreet graphics 13" MBP.:)

It would be good it they were, as they all "shared memory" at the moment.

My gut feeling tells me Apple would probably stick with HD4000. they would need the power for the display. Then again, anything 'new' is always good, it would be the only Mac on the market,....it it were.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I imagine it'll be like the 15" retina, as a more expensive model rather than one replacing the current price points.

This is an interesting question: how long will Apple continue to sell non-retina versions of Macs that have a retina option?

It seems that Apple itself hasn't beed sure... they seem to be testing the waters:
* iPad 2 is sold along side the retina iPad
* Macbook Pro 15" is sold along side the retina 15" MBP

If retina sales have been "winning" in sales, we might not see a non-retina 13" MBA at all.

Long-term, I think non-"retina" displays will definitely disappear. But it's interesting to know how close we really are to this. Apple is generally aggressive about moving along to the next level of standard.

kegler

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
Leo Laporte just mentioned on TWiT that the 15" Retina MBP is the best laptop he has ever owned. No surprise there. :apple:

15 is lovely....but would prefer something smaller as easier to use while travelling...and it would be powerful enough to drive my 30" back at home...having a laptop and desktop would b troublesome to share data and apps

h110283

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2007
San Jose, CA
reminds me of summer 2007

I'm very desperate for a new laptop (running a once-beautiful, now-salvaged 15'' santa rosa) and I've been waiting so patiently to pull the trigger on a 13'' retina of any kind.

Would it be foolish of me to go with Ivy Bridge?

The more I read, the more I feel I NEED to wait for Haswell.

But then again, when Haswell arrives, I'm sure I'll convince myself I need to wait for what's next.

As for most Apple users, this is quite an investment for me, and I def plan on keeping my next laptop for a minimum of 2 years.

So is it really worth waiting for Haswell? Would I be making a big mistake by going with Ivy B?

Is there anyone who can explain the real difference to me "for dummies"? What noticeable differences will I encounter?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Please stick in a discrete graphics card and allow scaling to 1680x1050...please...

Then it will literally be the laptop I have been waiting for apple to make since forever. Super portable (13"), excellent screen, super powerful (i5, 8GB RAM, SSD, discrete graphics.)

-AG-

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Austalia
So you know pages easy opens and exports word documents. So if y

The main problem with iWork is the excel compatibility with numbers. Mainly thanks to Offices use of macros.

If they can make numbers work with macro files then yes iWork would be viable for 90% of office environments.

pearvsapple

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2012
GT 650m is possible with the removal of optical drive. Still kinda silly how Apple isn't pushing for Thunderbolt graphics given they are the first to use it.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
This is an interesting question: how long will Apple continue to sell non-retina versions of Macs that have a retina option?

It seems that Apple itself hasn't beed sure... they seem to be testing the waters:

If retina sales have been "winning" in sales, we might not see a non-retina 13" MBA at all.

Long-term, I think non-"retina" displays will definitely disappear. But it's interesting to know how close we really are to this. Apple is generally aggressive about moving along to the next level of standard.

I think battery has more to do with non retina Air than anything else.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Nice. I always found it weird that there is a 15" MBPR but not a 13". Also, when are they going to fix the pricing? Comparing a MBP to a MBPR with the same specs and screen size, it costs a lot more to have it NOT be retina. WTF? Maybe if you really, really want wired ethernet built-in and an optical drive...

Last edited:

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

Considering the price of displays, they may be interested in selling off as much of the older stock as possible.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
There's a good chance that one of these will be my next computer, but I probably won't get to upgrade for 2-3 years (my current computer is less than a year old), so we'll see what happens with them during that timeframe. I expect these to be big sellers: great portability but still decent viewing area (I've certainly wished for more real estate on my 13" screen).

jW

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Now cut those wafers for 13" as 4 times bigger and you get 5120x2880 27" panel.

Sell it as new Thunderbolt Retina Display and I'm gonna get one as soon. Gonna pair it to my next Thunderbolt gaming box + MBA and I'd drool over it anyday. :D

koppie644

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
you simply cannot compute like that

Trying to understand pricing here. On the 15" MBA...

- Replacing the HD with an SSD add $500.
- Adding 4GB of memory adds $100

But the rMBA is only $400 more than than the legacy MBA, meaning upgrading the screen to retina costs -$200.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Tim Cook said it was going to be an eventful second half of the year. And it only gets better

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
I hope it has a dedicated graphics..

I tested the 15 inch retina for a week. The integrated graphics would give u headache while scrolling as it is so slow and sluggish, everything drags especially on Facebook. When integrated was off for better performance, using the dedicated graphics was much better but not as fast as my last yr 13 inch mbp... so unfortunate.

Does anybody know if the current Graphics card in the retina MBP the most powerful one?

In the Nvidia GT Series it is the most powerful one, but in the whole Nvidia series it is surely far from GTX680M.

I play Need for Speed: The Run on the non-Retina version MBP (the one I mentioned in the signature) with the same display card, at 1440x900 and medium to high graphic setting, I saw 60 - 70 FPS, when I was playing on mountain roads I once saw 80 FPS.

I also play the new GTA Sleeping Dog, which have scene of dense Hong Kong City (my hometown, I love this game), the graphic card could generate in average 55 FPS in high setting.

The MacBook Pro could run on GTX680M, as long as the user can accepting a 3" thick machine, super heat chassis during game play and of course, 5kg of weight. You know which machine I am talking about.

koppie644

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
iMac refresh is not important if you just look at the hardware

Ivy Bridge is just slightly faster than Sandy Bridge in CPU performance (100MHz increase). It does save some power, which is not critical for a desktop. The integrated graphics is much faster, but all iMac's have dedicated graphic cards.

Either they are going to update it quietly, change the cpu because the old ones are not supplied and change the graphic cards to Radeon 7000 series or Geforce 600 Series. Just minor changes

or they'r going to wait for a new design with retina display. What about
a 24 inch 3840*2400, and a 30in 5120*3200? That would be super exciting!

A lot of people are sure hoping for an iMac refresh so I hope that figure is true. :D

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
I'm very desperate for a new laptop (running a once-beautiful, now-salvaged 15'' santa rosa) and I've been waiting so patiently to pull the trigger on a 13'' retina of any kind.

Would it be foolish of me to go with Ivy Bridge?

The more I read, the more I feel I NEED to wait for Haswell.

But then again, when Haswell arrives, I'm sure I'll convince myself I need to wait for what's next.

As for most Apple users, this is quite an investment for me, and I def plan on keeping my next laptop for a minimum of 2 years.

So is it really worth waiting for Haswell? Would I be making a big mistake by going with Ivy B?

Is there anyone who can explain the real difference to me "for dummies"? What noticeable differences will I encounter?

What are the significant difference between Sandy, Ivy and Haswell?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.