Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The company behind the popular LifeProof iPhone case today announced a new waterproof iPad case called the Nüüd. The case is an alternative to other high-protection iPad cases like the OtterBox Defender, with the addition of waterproof protection (to 6.6 feet).

The most interesting part of the Nüüd case -- and the origin of the odd name -- is that the case appears to have no protection over the iPad's screen. The screen is left exposed, delivering what LifeProof claims is a better experience. The company says other cases leave an air gap between the iPad and a built-in screen protector, making viewing the screen less clear as well as making touch recognition less consistent.

NewImage45.png

LifeProof says the Nüüd case protects against drops from 4 feet, is totally sealed from dust and particles, and can handle being submerged to 6.6 feet for 30 minutes, as well as keeping out all melting snow and ice.
LifeProof, the award-winning maker of all-protective, everyday cases for smartphones and tablets, today announced the availability of the LifeProof nuud case for iPad. Unleashing new freedom for mobile computing, the LifeProof nuud case for iPad is water, dirt, snow and shock proof, and features a totally naked screen that provides a perfect tactile response and visual clarity. The new LifeProof iPad case protects both iPad 2 and iPad Gen 3 devices.
For second and third-generation iPad owners using their devices in harsh environments -- or in a swimming pool -- the $160 case may be a worthwhile investment.

Article Link: LifeProof Releases Nüüd Waterproof iPad Case

Last edited by a moderator:

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
I've been waiting on this, not sure I like the unprotected screen as I will be using this as navigation in the cockpit of the boat.

NinjaKid

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
Screen Protection

I've been waiting on this, not sure I like the unprotected screen as I will be using this as navigation in the cockpit of the boat.

There is screen protection, they moved to a glass screen rather then plastic on this case.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
My current case has no screen cover and I like that. As they say, better clarity and touch. The case around the edges and raised above the screen provides a lot of protection.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
There is screen protection, they moved to a glass screen rather then plastic on this case.

How'd you get that from this:

The most interesting part of the Nüüd case -- and the origin of the odd name -- is that the case appears to have no protection over the iPad's screen. The screen is left exposed, delivering what LifeProof claims is a better experience.

Clearly, he was talking about the screen of the iPad serving as a protector instead of a cumbersome plastic slate. Idiot.

Last edited:

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
You could click on the link and find out :)

Impossible!

Seriously though I hope they come out with one of these for the smaller iPad if they do end up releasing the mini. I'd love to have this kind of protection and mobility in a device.

johns4949

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Ipad Case

Bought one at BestBuy installed my ipad in it played and looked at it for an hour and packed it back up and returned it to BestBuy. Not worth the $149 price, more likely a $29.95 item and still a piece of junk.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I would get one if I had an iPad. There iPhone one works for me. I just wish it had a way to attach a clip to it.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
A $0.40 ziplock bag works wonders too. You're not protected from 4' drops tho.

Actually you are. It's $99.40, though. Buy Applecare+...

Seriously, why would I spend $160 for this thing when I can just have Applecare+, get two years of warranty, and just pay $49 for a new iPad if it gets wet? I can tell you that I wouldn't put my iPad under water with this thing on it, no matter what they say about it.

NinjaKid

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
screen protection

Clearly, he was talking about the screen of the iPad serving as a protector instead of a cumbersome plastic slate. Idiot.

Actually it was in a email I received for the pre order of the case, it said it had an optical glass screen protector built into the case. I did call them today to see what the real deal was since the website has no mention of it. They claim it was a error, the camera protection is a optical glass overlay and indeed the actual device screen has zero protection.

ipadguy007

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
San Fernando Valley
Finally here n looks good

So what I get from following this at lightproof.com the obvious is its waterproof!!! :D

But for everybody else here I notice people keep saying the same thing about the screen protection doesn't have any? :rolleyes: yeah of course

Here's what I got from the website it has a glass protector lens over the camera.

everything is protected and accessible as well as the screen, instead of having plastic that makes it hard to use it precisely... it has a glass protector. As for dropping it :eek:, it has the same level of protection as anything else without a plastic hard cover that obviously wouldn't let you use the device without taking it off first!

Oh and one more thing.....:apple:

when it first launched a couple days ago everybody got an email that had subscribed previously was given 48 hours to buy it for $149 US but you also get for free a hard plastic cover withstand $29 US value. ;)

So one more time if you want a good case I got this formy girl & it does exactly what it says for iPhone version so for iPad I will 100% get this! I do have Apple care for my iPad 3 but if I drop this pad with out a case then yeah it's gone mostly or I wet it underwater yeah it's gone so I'd rather have some peace of mind and protection so I can continue to hang out with friends and use my device without backing up going to Apple waiting for my new device paying $50:mad:

----------

Does this cover the cameras?

Yes

Update sorry no glass protection I'm sorry I guess they change things my email told me there was glass cover
----------

It has a glass cover but u can get a hard cover from them too it was given away free on launch day

Update sorry no glass protection I'm sorry I guess they change things my email told me there was glass cover

----------

Actually it was in a email I received for the pre order of the case, it said it had an optical glass screen protector built into the case. I did call them today to see what the real deal was since the website has no mention of it. They claim it was a error, the camera protection is a optical glass overlay and indeed the actual device screen has zero protection.

Wow really! Ok my bad I did see that two... Well I like no screen protection I always pull those things off but I would've liked to of had real glass protect

Last edited:

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
Would love to see pics of this setup. Was thinking of doing the same

I already bought the RAM mount to mount to my steering rail/guard. Here is the plan I have. I have two ipads on the boat and one macbook pro. I have a Dual bluetooth GPS receiver and am running mac enc on my macbook pro in the nav station (i haven't picked the charting program for the ipads yet). There are a couple of programs that interface with mac enc. Anyhow, my current plan is to run the ipad/macbook pro navigation setup next to my current 10" chartplotter on our next bahamas trip and see which I like better, I'm pretty sure I know the answer already LOL.

Once all that it done I plan to, tie it in so I can run my music from the cockpit and even stream a movie from my macbook pro to one of the iPads. We have an 26 hour run each way so it's nice to have various forms of entertainment.

:D

ipadguy007

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
San Fernando Valley
I already bought the RAM mount to mount to my steering rail/guard. Here is the plan I have. I have two ipads on the boat and one macbook pro. I have a Dual bluetooth GPS receiver and am running mac enc on my macbook pro in the nav station (i haven't picked the charting program for the ipads yet). There are a couple of programs that interface with mac enc. Anyhow, my current plan is to run the ipad/macbook pro navigation setup next to my current 10" chartplotter on our next bahamas trip and see which I like better, I'm pretty sure I know the answer already LOL.

Once all that it done I plan to, tie it in so I can run my music from the cockpit and even stream a movie from my macbook pro to one of the iPads. We have an 26 hour run each way so it's nice to have various forms of entertainment.

:D

Nice setup:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.