Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TmoNews reports (via Engadget) that it has received a pair of photos from T-Mobile USA's internal news system announcing that the carrier will be rolling out new training programs focused on "selling against the iPhone". The new training modules are being deployed on September 21, the rumored launch day for the next-generation iPhone in the United States.
Perhaps it's coincidental that the information for employees to utilize against the iPhone will drop on September 21st, a date being tossed around as a possible release date for the next-generation iPhone. Perhaps it's just coincidence but we can't envision a scenario in which T-Mobile would prepare their employees to sell against a product they are about to receive.
tmobile_selling_against_iphone.jpg

T-Mobile is the only one of the four major U.S. carriers to not officially offer the iPhone, hampered by its use of 3G spectrum bands that are not supported by iPhone models released to date. That has not stopped customers from bringing their GSM iPhones to the carrier for use on its 2G network, and T-Mobile has been working to increase support for the over one million iPhones in use on its network even as it seeks to downplay the impact of its official absence to potential customers.

Following its failed merger with AT&T, T-Mobile USA announced earlier this year that its work on refarming spectrum would make the carrier's 4G HSPA+ network compatible with a broader range of devices, including the iPhone, by the end of 2012. Today's report from TmoNews reveals that T-Mobile is also rolling out new Monthly4G SIM kits that are compatible with the iPhone 4S and 4 later this month, perhaps signaling an increased effort to attract iPhone customers as its iPhone-compatible HSPA+ network reaches critical mass.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA Focused on 'Selling Against the iPhone' Starting September 21

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This is disappointing. Now that they are refarming their 3G spectrum, why can't Deutsche Telekom strike a deal for T-Mobile to carry the iPhone? "Selling against the iPhone" is a poor substitute for "selling the iPhone."

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Is this meant to be a surprise? I'm sure we could have guessed this would be going on behind the scenes?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Is this story on here meant to indicate that T-Mobile isn't getting the iPhone or validation of the release date? Or that somehow - they are "evil" for training their sales staff for how to remain competitive against the iPhone?

Not much news here.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Who says Apple isn't unwilling to let them have the iPhone? But if it a TMO decision then they're missing out.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
This is disappointing. Now that they are refarming their 3G spectrum, why can't Deutsche Telekom strike a deal for T-Mobile to carry the iPhone? "Selling against the iPhone" is a poor substitute for "selling the iPhone."

its only a few markets so far
and T-Mo will have to write apple a huge check for a minimum purchase of millions of iphones

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Is this story on here meant to indicate that T-Mobile isn't getting the iPhone or validation of the release date? Or that somehow - they are "evil" for training their sales staff for how to remain competitive against the iPhone?

Not much news here.

Why are you trying to imply editorial commentary where there isn't any currently? This was a reporting of pertinent Apple related news as it relates to a major US telephone carrier. The implications of this information are that TMO doesn't look to be getting the iPhone anytime soon, and they potentially have inside information as to the launch date, since their purported push on selling against the iPhone corresponds with the rumored date of release of the new model. The story in no way implies that TMO is evil for doing this.

And as someone who waited for years to get an iPhone on TMO before throwing in the towel and moving to VZ, I find this one of the more interesting rumor stories published on this site in days, if not weeks.

I also find it kind of sad. TMO continues to stand on the outside, looking in...

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Nothing new here. If you go into a verzion or AT&T store they will try to sell u ever phone but the iPhone. This internal memo is proof that tmobile will get the iPhone.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
I think it will just cost a bit more to join T-Mobile with an unlocked iPhone, though it might not be compatible with T-Mobile's 4G network. As long as you live in, or travel to, cities with free wi-fi hotspots readily available...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Why are you trying to imply editorial commentary where there isn't any currently? This was a reporting of pertinent Apple related news as it relates to a major US telephone carrier. The implications of this information are that TMO doesn't look to be getting the iPhone anytime soon, and they potentially have inside information as to the launch date, since their purported push on selling against the iPhone corresponds with the rumored date of release of the new model. The story in no way implies that TMO is evil for doing this.

And as someone who waited for years to get an iPhone on TMO before throwing in the towel and moving to VZ, I find this one of the more interesting rumor stories published on this site in days, if not weeks.

I also find it kind of sad. TMO continues to stand on the outside, looking in...

I think the headline is editorialized, don't you. It doesn't say "Internal Memo Implies No iPhone for T-Mobile" or "T-Mobile Internal Memo Confirms Possible iPhone Launch Date"

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I think the headline is editorialized, don't you. It doesn't say "Internal Memo Implies No iPhone for T-Mobile" or "T-Mobile Internal Memo Confirms Possible iPhone Launch Date"

No, I don't agree it is somehow editorialized to imply some evil intent. The headline relates a fact - T-Mobile USA Focused on Selling Against the iphone. That's what competitors do... they sell against their competition.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Depends. Look at the hole Sprint got themselves into for making their deal with Apple...

It has stopped their customer drain, though. Sprint knew the iPhone was expensive. However, they needed it to be seen as serious in the US market.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
No, I don't agree it is somehow editorialized to imply some evil intent. The headline relates a fact - T-Mobile USA Focused on Selling Against the iphone. That's what competitors do... they sell against their competition.

"evil" was perhaps harsh. But I disagree with you in that the headline is editorialized. Intentional or not - it appears, to me, to be written in a way to get clicks.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
too bad for t-mobile users

Looks like there is not any hope for iPhone on t-mobile in the near future.

Some of the t-mobile users I know were holding out thinking that the new iPhone would be available. Guess not.....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.