Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple having announced its new Passbook digital wallet for iOS 6, speculation regarding the potential for the incorporation of near field communications (NFC) in the next-generation iPhone has ramped up. The technology would allow for contactless payments that could be closely incorporated into the Passbook functionality. Rumors of NFC capabilities for the next-generation iPhone received another boost of speculation after photos of an assembled front panel surfaced showing an unknown square feature that Japanese blog Mac Otakara said was part of the NFC system for the device.

As part of an extensive analysis of likely features for the next iPhone, AnandTech laid out the case for why NFC is unlikely to appear in the device.
Given the primarily metal backside of the new iPhone, it's highly unlikely that NFC is in the cards for this generation. In fact, given the very little space at top and bottom dedicated to those glass RF windows, you can almost entirely rule it out.
iphone_2012_not_nfc.jpg
Next-generation iPhone front panel with feature incorrectly claimed to be for NFC (boxed in red)
The well-connected Jim Dalrymple has now added his perspective on the matter, sharing a simple "Yep" confirming that AnandTech was correct in its conclusion: There will be no NFC capabilities in the forthcoming iPhone.

Article Link: No NFC in Next-Generation iPhone

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
NFC would be a waste of space. Why would you need NFC on a smartphone that is also equipped with Bluetooth and wifi, especially in iOS, a mobile OS that lacks direct device-to-device sharing capability in general and instead focuses on syncing to iCloud or a PC.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The is a huge disappointment for two people.

1) Apple consumers
2) NFC

NFC will be much slower to get off the ground without the iPhone.

Edit: Why is Apple insider reporting that an NFC chip has been "spotted" on the new iPhone?

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
I think Apple can be the only ones to properly confirm this but if true this will upset a lot of people waiting for the new iPhone.

Personally I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 with NFC and have never even bothered to use it.

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Its a neat feature, but as others say it hasn't really taken off. Maybe it will soon?

Tinyluph

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
As someone who really doesn't care about a larger screen size this was one of the few features I was looking forward to.

Sucks.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
whats funny is the fanboys say its overated and not taking off if its not in the next iphone, but if it is they will be going on and on about it how its the best thing since sliced bread

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I am currently using an Galaxy S3... on my 30 day trial... waiting to see what Apple brings to the table...

Google Wallet only works out of the box on Sprint. To use it on other carriers, you need to be rooted and install some hacks to get Google Wallet to run.

But... once you have it, it is pretty cool to pay for my 44 oz soda at Circle K using my phone. :D

FNi

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
This is seriously going to effect NFC's momentum.

While the iPhone makes up only a small minority of phones sold worldwide, it's actually a very, very important demographic as they're usually high consumers - the exact type of person NFC appeals to.

This is a shame, 2013 was supposed to be NFC's year.

Edit: And just to add - I suspected this might be the case when Apple bought AuthenTec last month. I think the real reason Apple isn't adopting NFC is that they don't want it until the iPhone is capable of quickly scanning your fingerprint on every purchase.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Thought this was obvious actually. Intro passbook in iOS 6 and hold NFC til next year for iOS 7. They always need a feature for that 'S' model. (tock model...whatever)

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
As someone who really doesn't care about a larger screen size this was one of the few features I was looking forward to.

Sucks.

Same. My eyes are fine; i don't need a bigger screen. I was looking forward to the possibility of using the NFC with a better Passbook experience and data sharing.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
and right on cue, 99% of people here go from "I can't wait for NFC" to "NFC is overrated".

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
I've never used the nfc on my nexus but i thought it would be a cool feature on the iPhone (because it would obviously lead to mass adoption of the tech in the us).

Ah well, maybe next time ;)

huffboy

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2010
i'd rather take a free $20 itunes gift card than a NFC that I'd rarely use and that would save me 2 seconds over a swipe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.