Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terpguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
All of the icons on my desktop disappeared today when I turned on my laptop. Things have been running fine since I upgraded to Mountain Lion a week ago, so this just happened out of the blue. All of the files that were on the desktop still appear in the desktop folder, but they just are not displaying on the desktop. Any ideas on how to fix this?

(Also - if I save a new file to the desktop, that icon will appear, but my previous files still appear to be missing their icon.)

oldheap

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
Same problem

I've been having the same problem when we switch users. Force quitting and relaunching the Finder returns all the folders to the desktop, but they are all in a pile in the center of the screen. View/Clean up by/.... works but not in the original order.

terpguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
I've been having the same problem when we switch users. Force quitting and relaunching the Finder returns all the folders to the desktop, but they are all in a pile in the center of the screen. View/Clean up by/.... works but not in the original order.

Thanks, the cleanup/view by brings back the icons, but they are still "disappearing" every so often and without explanation. Hopefully someone else has been experiencing this.

oldheap

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
Possible fix!

I tried a suggestion from another thread, and it seems to work. Go to System Preferences/Displays and switch the resolution to another setting(any), then switch back to your original resolution setting. Since doing this about a week ago, the Finder seems stable with the desktop icons and folder not "disappearing". Don't ask me why!?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.