Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
now we all know that Apple has tried to monopolize IT industry which is totally illegal in the US. but they do now with stupid patent lawsuit. stop doing. it makes you being stuck into the hell, and will never get out of a hole. if you really concern about manufacture, why don't you make your own since apple has been the biggest valuable company in the world with so much cash? do it now. don't be depending on any company or subcontract anymore. well, you can't. you can't live along especially in business market. cooperation is only way to survive. don't you know?

if there was one thing that I know..it's that you need to go back to school. ;)

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
now we all know that Apple has tried to monopolize IT industry which is totally illegal in the US. but they do now with stupid patent lawsuit. stop doing. it makes you being stuck into the hell, and will never get out of a hole. if you really concern about manufacture, why don't you make your own since apple has been the biggest valuable company in the world with so much cash? do it now. don't be depending on any company or subcontract anymore. well, you can't. you can't live along especially in business market. cooperation is only way to survive. don't you know?

Thank you for this deliciously insightful post with excellent grammar and well-thought points. You should really consider starting your own blog, people would pay for that kind of analysis.

Glassman

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Globalfoundries would perhaps make more sense - they share technology with IBM and Samsung.

Intel won't fab anything to compete with their products such as Atom SoC, they will fab someone else's FPGA and such since they don't compete in that segment, but certainly not ARM SoC, even if it were for Apple. Their process is state of the art though, year ahead of competition, it's the only reason Intel can think of entering mobile SoC market - not through low power architecture, but advanced process.

TSMC seems awfully busy, also not that smooth with yields etc.

who else is left at the forefront of fabbing? UMC?

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany

huh? monopolize it industry...:confused:

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
"a market estimated by to be worth $219.1 billion"

Whoever did that "calculation" added .1 to make it look more accurate.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
who else is left at the forefront of fabbing? UMC?
It seems everybody other than Intel and TSMC are followers in the fab business. Having Apple account as its showcase third party fab customer may allow Samsung to push TSMC for the leadership role though.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
if there was one thing that I know..it's that you need to go back to school. ;)

Thank you for this deliciously insightful post with excellent grammar and well-thought points. You should really consider starting your own blog, people would pay for that kind of analysis.

Not everyone's first language is English. Don't be so sarcastic to posters, it doesn't make you clever, witty, superior or intelligent; indeed it just makes you look like a douche.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Or that English is not everybody's first language ;)

Excuse me, but it's quite easy to distinguish between those where English is not the first language, and those that are not capable or cannot be bothered to write correctly in their first language. The poster we are talking about most definitely has English as his first language.

But if you worry about readers whose first language is not English, consider that for them it is much much harder to read incorrect English. For example, if you are English and you see "there", it means "in that other place, or a misspelling of "they're" = they are, or a misspelling of "their" = owned by them", and your brain substitutes the correct one automatically without any thought. If you have a few years of learning English at school and nothing more, "there" means "in that other place" and nothing else, and when it is used incorrectly, it is very hard to figure out.

M

Mr.damien

If I understand correctly, Apple and others are trying to pay to have their competitors not have access to these chips. That sounds awfully anti-competitive.

If you read the article completly, you should know that Qualcomm and Apple are trying to buy the chip to SECURE delivery and not lose any sales because of composents shortage....

lukarak

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
Excuse me, but it's quite easy to distinguish between those where English is not the first language, and those that are not capable or cannot be bothered to write correctly in their first language. The poster we are talking about most definitely has English as his first language.

But if you worry about readers whose first language is not English, consider that for them it is much much harder to read incorrect English. For example, if you are English and you see "there", it means "in that other place, or a misspelling of "they're" = they are, or a misspelling of "their" = owned by them", and your brain substitutes the correct one automatically without any thought. If you have a few years of learning English at school and nothing more, "there" means "in that other place" and nothing else, and when it is used incorrectly, it is very hard to figure out.

So you are saying that non native speakers can't figure out context?

Perhaps I'm not the best example as I come from a small country (Croatia, 4 million) and we have to use english materials all the time, as they are not readily translated to our own language simply because there are too few of us. Germans, French, Italians, they all have most of the television shows translated (the audio, not subtitles), have their own websites, and so on. Kids in my country learn english through TV, Internet, and until recently, applications, games, manuals and so on. For us, it's pretty simple to understand the context, because, even with english classes we have in schools, most of the everyday stuff comes from the content that we absorb.

Maybe it's different for people from bigger countries that don't 'meet' so much english material, especially in childhood, and their english skills are more formally attained.

GripperDon

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008

You are really the fanboy, APPLE is dead wrong, They are the way to becoming hated, losing the rest of the fading aura of being a good company. These patent lawsuits are not only stupid in the long run but really anti American spirit, Rounded corners make me laugh. :mad:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I can see the new Apple chip.

It may not actually run as fast as other chips, but it's 50% thinner than a standard chip and it's got a brushed aluminum surface :D

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Globalfoundries would perhaps make more sense - they share technology with IBM and Samsung.

I like that. Globalfoundries recently consolidated their operations and became a humongous operations from Germany to New York. They also acquired a pretty hi-tech Fab in South East Asia recently.

Or go with Intel in some kind of exclusive deal...? A subsidiary? Intel infrastructure, Apple in-house design.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Well, if your main business is chip fabrication, putting all your eggs in one basket is a VERY bad idea, well its a bad idea in any business.

If they sign this contract with Apple, they could miss out on other customers coming offering to pay more for the same capacity, and not be able to take that because of the Apple contract.

for 10bn USD do you think they would have refused, eggs in one basket or not?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

ummmm how exactly do you distinguish between "those that are not capable" and those that "cannot be bothered" to write correctly in their first language?

I'd be ***** off if I had a learning disability and someone told be I cannot be bothered. You see where I am coming from right?

And lets forget not everyone is fortunate to have the same level of eduction. Sadly literacy is a big issue even in first world countries. When it comes to reading and writing, people who learned English as a second language tend to have better grammar.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa

Perhaps you do but we-all don't.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Any company that manufacture exclusively for another company opens its self up for a "Price review"

A very famous company in the UK used to buy a certain item from another company, it kept ramping up its requirements, the manufacturing company had to loose all its other customers to keep up with that requirement. Once it was manufacturing exclusively for that company and lost all of its other contacts they were hit with a price review (We don't want to pay you that much for that item as before, we want to pay you less) That company and many others went out of business, the large company then went to other companies who, initially thought that they had hit the jackpot, then they were hit with "price reviews" until they could no longer carry on.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple would be stupid to split from samsung. There have been almost no issues with fabrication or production and they put out some beastly chips with high yields.

Doesn't mean there won't be a problem down the road, especially if Samsung does decide to cut apple off one fine day. It's exactly now when things are still okay that it is the best time to start searching for an alternative. :)

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
You are really the fanboy, APPLE is dead wrong, They are the way to becoming hated, losing the rest of the fading aura of being a good company. These patent lawsuits are not only stupid in the long run but really anti American spirit, Rounded corners make me laugh. :mad:

Only hated by crooks who steal music and movies and love companies that steal IP like you. You should get a clue and listen to the jury foreman's interview about the how they came up their verdict. The concept of Rounded corners you are talking about had nothing to do with the infringement. It was the complete combination of all of the design elements that was the problem. Samsung used 90% of These design elements to copy the look and feel of Apple products. You should dump your infringing products like others are doing while you still can, the value is dropping fast. It was already low.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.