Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluewooster

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
Fantastic - thanks! I agree that it would be fabulous if everyone followed suit but it could be bad for itunes - I just found Boardwalk Empire in Bluray with the digital copies for about the same price as itunes!

joshforman

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012
I was able to download a HD copy of The Dark Knigh, while before it had only given me the SD copy. I used the redemption code from the Blu-ray

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Fantastic - thanks! I agree that it would be fabulous if everyone followed suit but it could be bad for itunes - I just found Boardwalk Empire in Bluray with the digital copies for about the same price as itunes!

I'm sure the companies still give Apple a cut for being allowed to use their service for people to download the digital copies.
And you're right. Boardwalk Empire Season 2 will be $34.99 at Best Buy this week. You get the BD, DVD, and HD Digital Copies. Or you could spend $46.99 and JUST get the Digital Version via iTunes. These studios really baffle me sometimes.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville

The best part about doing it this way instead of buying directly from iTunes is that you have an instant backup. No matter what, if the network is down, or your system fails you can still pop in the BluRay and watch it. I love the iTunes model, but pricing isn't it's forte . . . but I think that's more the studios than Apple.

Los

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
I was able to download a HD copy of The Dark Knigh, while before it had only given me the SD copy. I used the redemption code from the Blu-ray

Which version of The Dark Knight digital code did you use? The recent ones that came out with UV Digital Copy or the old ones that had the iTunes Digital Copy when it first came out?

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
If True Blood and Game of Thrones are HD, anyone know about Boardwalk Empire? (i.e is this something HBO is doing with all their TV shows?)

All of the True Blood seasons out currently have the HD downloads. Boardwalk Empire will not have them till 8/28. All the current Boardwalk season 1's do not have the codes in the box. HBO is re-releasing Boardwalk Empire season 1 on Tuesday with the digital copies.

bluewooster

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
Dobbs2, the set I saw was advertising a digital copy as well (it looked like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/21098890) - do you mean this would be an older SD digital copy or did I see one of the newer releases earlier than scheduled?

(I was going to buy tomorrow but thinking maybe I should wait)

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Dobbs2, the set I saw was advertising a digital copy as well (it looked like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/21098890) - do you mean this would be an older SD digital copy or did I see one of the newer releases earlier than scheduled?

(I was going to buy tomorrow but thinking maybe I should wait)

That is the correct one. As long as the packaging says Digital Copy on it you're ok; you'll get the HD downloads. The previous version didn't have DVD or DC with the BD. However, if you notice on the link, it's a pre-order. Season 2 comes out Tuesday, at which time they will be re-releasing Season 1 in the new format (BD, DVD, DC). So you'll be able to get both Season 1 & 2 with the DCs this Tuesday.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012

Didn't work for me. I entered the code in iTunes and it told me that it was for an offer not yet redeemable. Also, the movie is still showing up in purchased as an SD download.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
About The Game of Thrones? Yesterday I went to Best Buy to give that a look, and I didn't see anything on the packaging that said "Digital Copy" on it. It just said Dolby Digital True HD or something like that. I even checked the back and it didn't say anything either.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008

I tried this when I read your note but it didn't work. My download is definitely higher bitrate than the SD copy I had before, plus it downloaded the iTunes extras that I didn't have before. However, the movie is still SD. And yes, I definitely have HD downloads turned on.

Mine was from the iTunes digital copy that came with the original release.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
I tried this when I read your note but it didn't work. My download is definitely higher bitrate than the SD copy I had before, plus it downloaded the iTunes extras that I didn't have before. However, the movie is still SD. And yes, I definitely have HD downloads turned on.

Mine was from the iTunes digital copy that came with the original release.

Same here.

bluewooster

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
Yeah - so I should have heeded your advice - I went to Future Shop where I saw the combo Boardwalk Empire for so cheap. They had several - it's not like I picked the only one out of a barrel - but they wouldn't let me buy it! Turns out someone put them out by mistake so I guess I have to wait until Tuesday like you told me.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
About The Game of Thrones? Yesterday I went to Best Buy to give that a look, and I didn't see anything on the packaging that said "Digital Copy" on it. It just said Dolby Digital True HD or something like that. I even checked the back and it didn't say anything either.

Not all previous HBO Releases had digital copies. I believe HBO Select (BD, DVD, DC) started with the True Blood Season 4 release, at which point Seasons 1-3 were re-released in the HBO Select format. Therefore, there are two different versions of TB Seasons 1-3. Likewise, with Boardwalk Empire, Season 2 will be released tomorrow, at which point Season 1 will be re-released in the HBO Select format. My guess is, when it comes to Game of Thrones, Season 1 will be re-released in HBO Select formatting when Season 2 is released. Just make sure the packaging says HBO Select on it. As long as it does, you will get the digital copies, and they WILL be in HD.
Hope this clears up some confusion.

TrackZ

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Can someone confirm the bit rate of the 1080p HD downloads from iTunes for these movies/shows? I'm really curious to know if it is 640k like AC3 on a BD or if it is lower. Thanks!

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Can someone confirm the bit rate of the 1080p HD downloads from iTunes for these movies/shows? I'm really curious to know if it is 640k like AC3 on a BD or if it is lower. Thanks!

See attached for the iTunes description of the downloaded file. Looks like the download is 720p, but you can stream at 1080p via the Apple TV.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-29 at 8.02.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-29 at 8.02.38 AM.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 311

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I really hope Apple allow some kind of upgrades to HD from pervious SD versions. Did anyone buy The Dark Knight on iTunes in the UK when it first came out?? I did, it was SD only, but now the HD version has vanished from the iTunes store. Its says "also available in HD on iPad and Apple TV" but it is not there. It only appears as a wishlist item. Therefore the version streamed through Apple TV is only SD. Even hiding the purchase and searching for the film just brings up the SD version. Strange...

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
See attached for the iTunes description of the downloaded file. Looks like the download is 720p, but you can stream at 1080p via the Apple TV.

There is a setting in your iTunes to "prefer" 1080p if it's available. You probably have your downloads set to 720p.

There are good reasons to do this too, for sync with legacy devices that don't support 1080p.

bluewooster

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
I bought Season 1 and 2 of Boardwalk Empire today (in Canada) and used the Digital Copy redemption code and......they are streaming glorious 1080p HD to my ATV3! Just thought I'd let any other Canadians know that the HBO triple packs (BR, DVD, DC) are working north of the border as well!

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
You would hope your getting blu ray digital download if you buy blu ray but it's 720P. Better of not buying the full pack and ripping it yourself. Just downloaded battleship (pretty good movie) and its 720P. Don't think any digital download I have done came in at 1080P.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
You would hope your getting blu ray digital download if you buy blu ray but it's 720P. Better of not buying the full pack and ripping it yourself. Just downloaded battleship (pretty good movie) and its 720P. Don't think any digital download I have done came in at 1080P.

Again, this is because you need to manually set it to tell iTunes you want 1080p content instead of 720p.

iTunes > Preferences > Store*(for PC, choose*Edit > Preferences > Store).
Next to "When downloading High Definition videos, prefer:" set your preference to 1080p.

You can then delete any content you have in 720p, then, assuming it's still in the iTunes store, go the Purchased tab in the iTunes store, and re-download the content in 1080p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.