Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
You would hope your getting blu ray digital download if you buy blu ray but it's 720P. Better of not buying the full pack and ripping it yourself. Just downloaded battleship (pretty good movie) and its 720P. Don't think any digital download I have done came in at 1080P.

Yes, everyone here is just fabricating stories. Why can't you read what people are explaining to you?

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Again, this is because you need to manually set it to tell iTunes you want 1080p content instead of 720p.

iTunes > Preferences > Store*(for PC, choose*Edit > Preferences > Store).
Next to "When downloading High Definition videos, prefer:" set your preference to 1080p.

You can then delete any content you have in 720p, then, assuming it's still in the iTunes store, go the Purchased tab in the iTunes store, and re-download the content in 1080p.

Thanks for the tip. Just found it and re-downloading.

----------

Yes, everyone here is just fabricating stories. Why can't you read what people are explaining to you?

What the **** are you yapping about!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks for the tip. Just found it and re-downloading.

----------

What the **** are you yapping about!

It's been explained many times in this thread that they come in 1080p downloads and how to make sure you get them. Please pay attention before confusing other people.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Sorry if it's been mentioned but I grabbed the Jaws Blu-ray and was able to register and download the iTunes HD version as well as the Ultraviolet HD.

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
What is the preferred video version in your preferences?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-06 at 2.13.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-06 at 2.13.54 AM.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 115

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
It really makes no sense to me why they would force the SD version with Blu-ray purchases though, but most do.
It makes perfect sense... the digital copies are for ipad, ipods, iphones or other portable stuff. You'd don't really need that type of huge file for a portable device.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
It makes perfect sense... the digital copies are for ipad, ipods, iphones or other portable stuff. You'd don't really need that type of huge file for a portable device.

They are also played on Apple TV and Mac so no, I don't follow.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Only The Hunger Games streams at HD for me. All of the other digital copies I have stream at somewhere in the 480p range.

interesting...mine streams the digital copies from Apple. any ripped/imported/home movies all pull from my iMac and are however they are input there.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
interesting...mine streams the digital copies from Apple. any ripped/imported/home movies all pull from my iMac and are however they are input there.

That's what I am referring to. Take a look at the screenshot at http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/03/your-digital-movies-can-now-be-served-up-by-icloud/.

If you notice just above the movie's star rating it says "Widescreen." That means it's streaming at SD, not HD. If it says "1080p" or "720p," it will stream in HD.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
interesting...it looked very clear and almost like BluRay on my TV.

I have the AppleTV 3 and i even downloaded the Star Trek DC. it looked crappy on iMac but excellent on the TV.

now it makes me want to see again.
hmmm.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
I'm thinking it streams at a decent bitrate in SD, but it's most definitely not HD on my Apple TV 3. I noticed it when I was closer to the TV watching Beauty and the Beast then looking at how pixelated the title logo was for The Lion King (both of which are SD digital copies).

The worst part was that I can't unsee the SD quality now that I spotted it.

doctorcrentist

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
Can anyone confirm whether the digital copy code that comes with the purchase of a DVD/digital copy edition of The Hunger Games (or other DVD - not BluRay - titles) is downloadable via the iTunes Store in HD? Or since the digital code came in a DVD/digital file combo pack is the downloaded file only in SD?

In other words, does the quality of the digital download for The Hunger Games and/or other titles depend on whether or not the BluRay combo set or DVD combo set was purchased?

Thanks.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I'm thinking it streams at a decent bitrate in SD, but it's most definitely not HD on my Apple TV 3. I noticed it when I was closer to the TV watching Beauty and the Beast then looking at how pixelated the title logo was for The Lion King (both of which are SD digital copies).

The worst part was that I can't unsee the SD quality now that I spotted it.

even blu-rays looks crappy to me up close.
I haven't had a chance to look yet but will another night...baseball on tonight.

doctorcrentist

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
Can anyone confirm whether the digital copy code that comes with the purchase of a DVD/digital copy edition of The Hunger Games (or other DVD - not BluRay - titles) is downloadable via the iTunes Store in HD? Or since the digital code came in a DVD/digital file combo pack is the downloaded file only in SD?

In other words, does the quality of the digital download for The Hunger Games and/or other titles depend on whether or not the BluRay combo set or DVD combo set was purchased?

Thanks.

Replying to myself here. The digital code that comes with The Hunger Games DVD is for a standard definition download. Apparently the BluRay combo pack is the only one giving the HD digital download (besides a straight iTunes store purchase, of course).

FYI....

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
The digital copy code in Statham's new blu "Safe" downloaded HD, SD and Extras on iTunes for me today.

Eric

awesome - thanks!

curious to see what happens this week with the new releases....

What to Expect When You're Expecting is from same studio as Hunger Games.......hmmmm.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.