Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The flood of part leaks claimed to be for the next-generation iPhone continues with a new report from Nowhereelse.fr [Google translation] pointing to a fresh set of high-quality photos and a video of an assembled front panel similar to the one that appeared earlier this week. The new photos and video come from Chinese parts distributor SINOCET.

iphone_2012_4s_side_by_side_front_panels-500x535.jpg

While the part isn't a new leak, the photos are of good quality and one shot in particular shows a front-on view of the assembled front panel next to the same part from an iPhone 4S, making clear how Apple has been able to minimize the overall increase in device height by shrinking the top and bottom margins somewhat to compensate for the impact of the taller screen. The height comparisons have been seen in previous leaks, but this new photo seems to shows the most straightforward comparison yet.

The video in the report also focuses on comparing the next-generation iPhone front panel assembly to the corresponding part from the iPhone 4S.

Article Link: New Photos and Video of 'iPhone 5' Front Panel Show Minimal Height Increase Over iPhone 4S

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Strange how it looks the same width here, but other earlier photos of the bottom make it look a bit wider. Maybe this is just the front panel and the sides come out further?

EDIT: On closer inspection, the iPhone 5 here looks like a render in this pic. The home button is smaller than the one on the iPhone 4 to the left. So, unless they re-designed the home button to be smaller this generation, the 5 will be both taller and wider than it appears here.

Last edited:

norrismantooth

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Dallas, TX
I welcome this change. When I put my iphone into my back pocket, I have to dig fairly deeply to get it out. A bit longer phone should solve this problem. Also, appreciating that the headphone jack is now on bottom, for this reason as well. Puts thumb at home button without stretching the cord too badly. Awkward.

iSengKin

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2012
Enough with the rumors already!! Bring the god damn phone to us! We are just holding ourselves back for too long already!

Apple, you better be announce it on September 12, 2012! :D

mgs4

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
Even though there's bound to be quite a lot of people who dislike the height, i think it looks pretty cool. Excited!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Strange how it looks the same width here, but other earlier photos of the bottom make it look a bit wider. Maybe this is just the front panel and the sides come out further?

The other photo was just a perspective issue. The bottom of one was closer to the camera than the other.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Meh, it's hardly even a change in screen size, especially since it's not wider. It just looks like an awkwardly tall iPhone 4S.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
But the question everyone is asking:

Why anyone would want a light green iPhone 4S?

noles1983

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
San Antonio, TX
And...it still looks like a stretched iphone 4. Barf. It seems obvious if you like the 4/4s you will like this. Same phone basically, just a little more awkward looking.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Just me, or is that home button smaller?

ED: It's just me.

Yes, it is. It's been pointed out in quite a few articles about all the part leaks. There was a home button comparison somewhere too.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
"So much for doubling-down on secrecy"

"Steve would've never allowed this!"

"Safari seems snappier!"

"It won't be called 'iPhone 5'!!!!11111SHIFT+1"

That pretty much covers the usual, right? Carry on with real discussion.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Where are the dudes who keep insisting these are "strategic leaks" and the real thing will look nothing like this?

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
I quite like it. Wider AND taller would have been better but this tall 4S isn't the end of the world. If the quality feel of the 4/4S is anything to go by, IMO this will still be a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

Here's hoping that Apple implement some killer new features :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.