Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agustinbg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
Hi!

I've this problem that I can't figure out since a long time ago: my iPod Classic Battery is completely dead... really dead. When I connect my iPod to a Wall Charger, it does not even passes the Apple Screen but there I can use it in Disk mode by pressing Select and Play at the same time.

However, when I try to do the same thing with my iPod connected to the mac, it only displays a message "Please Wait, very low battery" and gets stuck there. No way to use it in disk mode.

I know my iPod is dead and I'll probably get rid of it but I want to recover some information I stored there. So the only thing I want to do is to be able to open iPod in disk mode (whereas in the mac or in a PC, does not matter) so I can recover the info.

Thanks in advance. ;)

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
Hi!

I've this problem that I can't figure out since a long time ago: my iPod Classic Battery is completely dead... really dead. When I connect my iPod to a Wall Charger, it does not even passes the Apple Screen but there I can use it in Disk mode by pressing Select and Play at the same time.

However, when I try to do the same thing with my iPod connected to the mac, it only displays a message "Please Wait, very low battery" and gets stuck there. No way to use it in disk mode.

I know my iPod is dead and I'll probably get rid of it but I want to recover some information I stored there. So the only thing I want to do is to be able to open iPod in disk mode (whereas in the mac or in a PC, does not matter) so I can recover the info.

Thanks in advance. ;)

Does it die instantly when not connected to power?

If not, then boot into disk mode and then plug into the mac.

EvilTrovis

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
The iPod battery has to have a slight charge prior to mounting to a computer (but doesn't need to for an external charger). That's the "Please Wait - Very Low Battery" screen. It's sort of a "pre-charge" before you can connect it.

If it never advances past this screen, you need a new battery.

agustinbg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
Unfortunately the iPod dies immediately after it's unplugged from the Wall Charger. :S

Well, I think the only way to solve this will be to replace the battery.

Thanks everyone.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
Unfortunately the iPod dies immediately after it's unplugged from the Wall Charger. :S

Thanks everyone.

Gahh! That's a shame. Anyhow, the iPod classic is really easy to pop open. Just take your time and be careful.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010

Thanks everyone.

Gahh! That's a shame. Anyhow, the iPod classic is really easy to pop open. Just take your time and be careful.

The true classic 6th gen (160gb, 80gb, 120gb and 2009 160gb) are really hard to open. Apple changed the casing so that it was harder to open. Anything older is a breeze to open and can be done with anything flat. I only say this because anything older then the 6th gen is not technically an iPod classic. Something to keep in mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.