Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I don't see them doing 2 press events. No point...

Why wait a whole month into Oct when a lot of people have already start XMAS/HOLIDAY shopping...let everyone know what is coming down the pipe the next months before the key selling months.

They will have a BLOWOUT event on Sept 12th with the new iPhone, iPad Mini and iMac...

I think not! Apple has held separate events for introductions of different product lines for a long time. Throw in too many colors and you wind up with gray. Also, production is focusing on getting enough iPhone 5's built to meet demand. Mini iPads don't have as large a pent up demand, so production of these can take 2nd priority.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
kindle fire 2, nexus 7, iconia a110, ainol fire... 1280*800 whereas the new iPad Mini 1024*768 :confused:

As long as it has the same hardware specification as iPad 2 in a smaller form factor, I'm a happy customer. Because then I know I can still run all my games, and apps it. I don't really need another Retina display, I already have it on my iPad 3 and MacBook Pro 15 with Retina ;)

Personally I always though the icons, controls, and buttons on an iPad 1, 2, and 3 were too big. I would like to have it about the same size as iPhone. But making them bigger makes it easier for children to use. Now that they are shrinking it down a little bit on the iPad mini as a result of screen size reduction, this is perfect!!!

----------

And they are unusable for normal adult hands.....

Not really, based on screen reduction and resolution it will be somewhere between iphone and ipad. So, it still will be usable.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
If the iPad-2 had three designators, 2,1 thru 2,3 then isn't it more likely that the die-reduced iPad-2 also has three designators, 2,4 thru 2,6 and that it's these that are finally being seen?

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I think we will see a lower price premium for cell add-on for iPad Mini, something closer to $99. We may see smaller percentage sponsorships by carriers for cell versions than phones ($400) and higher than iPads ($0). Maybe around $100. This could make a $250/$350 iPad Mini cost $149, less than competitive pad systems but with considerably higher capabilities and somewhat higher monthly cost, with the cell version only.

Apple seems to have pricing power due to buzz and the networking effect of the ecosystem. The way to exploit that is carrier subsidies and higher all cash pricing, and capturing a portion of premium customer revenue in terms of cell access and plans, and of course content usage.

People tend to have buying behavior based largely on up front cost. This would make the more capable cell version "cost less" and shift the remainder to the monthly service cost that consumers tend to take less notice of since they "want" that service anyway.

Rocketman

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
I think some of us are looking at this wrong. The iPad mini is targeted for consumers that are NOT like us. Meaning, not tech geeks on a rumor forum. They want an Apple product but at a cheaper price. They don't care about the retina display. They just want a less expensive version of the iPad.

Apple will own the 7 (ish) tablet market when this arrives, don't doubt that. And the retina display will come in the next release. This is an excellent way for Apple to own this market segment, hooking more people into the iOS ecosystem.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I think not! Apple has held separate events for introductions of different product lines for a long time. Throw in too many colors and you wind up with gray. Also, production is focusing on getting enough iPhone 5's built to meet demand. Mini iPads don't have as large a pent up demand, so production of these can take 2nd priority.

While the demand isn't pent up, I have a feeling it will explode after the announcement. At at $250 price point this will be a HUGE seller over the holidays. Personally I think it'll outsell the original iPad by a considerable margin.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
kindle fire 2, nexus 7, iconia a110, ainol fire... 1280*800 whereas the new iPad Mini 1024*768 :confused:

Do you really think the average consumer made their choice based on the screen resolution?

Nope.

They wanted a tablet and those you mentioned fit their needs and were in their budget. When the iPad mini arrives, those others you mentioned will be reduced to fighting for single digit market share. I'm an Apple fan but I'm also realistic.

Consider this iPad mini like a gateway drug. It'll hook a lot of new people into the Apple ecosystem. Example? I've already talked to my mom and mother in law about this, and they want one. They love my iPad but not the price.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Apple has become the walmart of smartphones, tablets, and now mini-tablets.

I do not understand the appeal of a 1024x768 resolution tablet. Even at 7.85", it's merely 1.85" smaller than the iPad and if you look at the nexus 7, it has higher resolution than this ipad.

The appeal will likely be the price. They aren't going to sell for $499. Probably not even $399.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I'm happy to see a lower priced screen being used. If this is $200 or less, it will be an instant buy for my daughter.

----------

I do not understand the appeal of a 1024x768 resolution tablet. Even at 7.85", it's merely 1.85" smaller than the iPad and if you look at the nexus 7, it has higher resolution than this ipad.
"Merely 1.85" smaller"?

Let's pull out the old image again…
xlarge.jpg

As you can see, the regular iPad has "merely" 15 square inches more area. This is half of the Mini's area total!

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Instead of qouting me, maybe you should quote the person who posted that they want LTE included for $199???? Go on run along and have another read.

Either you don't get sarcasm or you're just out to be the best on the internets :rolleyes:

I think he was trying to help your argument. That's the way I took it anyways. Don't assume the worst in people. :)

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
I have been reading posts and it seems no one is making mention of this.

The 7" Nexus aspect ratio is 16:10, where the iPad mini will be 4:3 at 7.85.

The mini will have a 40% bigger surface area than the Nexus.

So it is arguable that the 1024x768 screen will look crummy, because the pixel density will be lower than the Nexus (especially since the Nexus has a higher resolution too).

That's not to say I won't get one, I have always wanted something lighter and a bit smaller to read, since that is primarily what I use my iPad for, among other things. Also I would like a much lower price entry point, cause my 3 hurts my pocket.

I am just concerned since Apple is leading the way in advanced screen technology, retina in their 15" MB Pro, and soon to be 13".

It really helps the cause if they can make a mini retina.

My guess is the 2,5 is a non-retina and the 2,6 is a retina. $249 and $299 respectively

Seems like a clean holiday lineup to me: ipod touch 199, mini 249, mini retina 299, ipad 2 399, new ipad 499

Personally, I think they will only come out with wifi minis in October, 3g+ the following March.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
One of Apple's main business drivers is to get consumers into their ecosystem and having a lower cost entry point makes sense. People who buy an iPad Mini might very well buy a larger one next, and an iPhone and maybe even a Mac and Apple TV. Plus all the apps and media sales (which helps to sustain the whole "system").

Apple isn't entering the "low end" market, so much as the small tablet market which is one reason I think the product will have a starting price (at the smallest memory config) of $299.

The hardware makes a ton of sense (if it actually turns out to be the internals of an iPad2: A5, 512MB, etc.), it'll be a nice little bump in PPI vs. the iPad1/2 (~164 vs. ~132).

I hope they actually do trim down the side bezels, it really streamlines it, and especially for a product that would be positioned as extremely portable.

Also think it's pretty possible if this product does get released, the iPad2 will get dropped. Then it's a clear line between iPad and iPad Mini, the Mini is the entry/consumer and the regular (Pro?) is the high-end/pro/business.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It will be an iPad Mini with Wi-Fi. No different models, nothing - just a single product. Why? Because to make it affordable (and still retain :apple: tax) they have to get rid of as many features/components and focus on the destined user experience.

Remind me again what an Apple tax is?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
If the iPad-2 had three designators, 2,1 thru 2,3 then isn't it more likely that the die-reduced iPad-2 also has three designators, 2,4 thru 2,6 and that it's these that are finally being seen?
That's the point.

2,4 was already used for the spring'12 cost reduced iPad 2.

So there should be a 2,5-2,7 for the 'mini', so that is where some confusion lies.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If it doesn't have a retina display then what's the feature that would allow Apple to charge $50-$100 more than Nexus 7?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I have been reading posts and it seems no one is making mention of this.

The 7" Nexus aspect ratio is 16:10, where the iPad mini will be 4:3 at 7.85.

The mini will have a 40% bigger surface area than the Nexus.

So it is arguable that the 1024x768 screen will look crummy, because the pixel density will be lower than the Nexus (especially since the Nexus has a higher resolution too).

That's not to say I won't get one, I have always wanted something lighter and a bit smaller to read, since that is primarily what I use my iPad for, among other things. Also I would like a much lower price entry point, cause my 3 hurts my pocket.

I am just concerned since Apple is leading the way in advanced screen technology, retina in their 15" MB Pro, and soon to be 13".

It really helps the cause if they can make a mini retina.

My guess is the 2,5 is a non-retina and the 2,6 is a retina. $249 and $299 respectively

Seems like a clean holiday lineup to me: ipod touch 199, mini 249, mini retina 299, ipad 2 399, new ipad 499

Personally, I think they will only come out with wifi minis in October, 3g+ the following March.
It'll have a 163ish PPI just like the original iPhone through 3GS.

And higher than the iPad 2, since it would use the iPad 2's resolution, but scaled to a smaller display. iPad 2 is still selling well and highly desired.

Yes, it will have a lower PPI than Nexus 7, I don't think that will matter to the target audience.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Well as an Apple customer, I suppose you are used to paying a premium for inferior hardware.

That's a matter of perspective, I guess. I don't disagree, I just feel that Apple's emphasis is usually on a superior "total user experience", if I may use a cliche buzzword. And if they can get away with that without using bleeding-edge hardware, then they do so.

I've also learned that it's difficult to compare apples (!) and oranges. For example everyone likes to compare the amount of RAM in the iPhone compared to other smartphones (Android, WM, etc.) By a strict technical comparison, the iPhone at the time was inferior. But most people didn't even know or care how much RAM was actually in the device, all they knew was that the system was smooth and responsive.

Granted, now with apps and iOS becoming more and more complex, we're starting to push the limits of the "good enough" hardware, and things aren't running so smoothly anymore. Maybe the criticism of Apple should be that it tends to pick hardware that's "good enough" for the day the product is released without thinking very far ahead about how well the hardware will fare a year, two years down the road. Planned obsolescence, perhaps?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
That's the point.

2,4 was already used for the spring'12 cost reduced iPad 2.

So there should be a 2,5-2,7 for the 'mini', so that is where some confusion lies.

2,4 was used for one of the cost reduced iPad 2s but as there are three different versions of the iPad 2 there should have been three designators: 2,4 2,5 2,6.
Or was only one model of iPad 2 updated in spring'12?
The mini should be 2,7 2,8 and 2,9 or else something totally different.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

BugBytes

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
Nice catch. Extra model numbers would probably be hard to explain with any other theory that's been suggested already by rumors.

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
It is not about belief. It is about reserving the enthusiasm until it is formally announced. Rumors are fun. But, there are people who see a rumor like this and call it Gospel and then they're heads implode on the pre perceived announcement day when nothing happens or it does not meet their exaggerated expectations.

Life is full of disappointment. There's no point in creating our own.

There are too many rumours and confirmation from people like Dalrymple/Mossberg for it not to be true. It's not like the Apple TV rumours which are mainly pushed by the analyst Peter Misek at Jefferies Investment Bank. These are rumours from people whom Apple leaks info to.

Would happily put money on it coming well before Christmas.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
I'm happy to see a lower priced screen being used. If this is $200 or less, it will be an instant buy for my daughter.

----------

"Merely 1.85" smaller"?

Let's pull out the old image again…
As you can see, the regular iPad has "merely" 15 square inches more area. This is half of the Mini's area total!
This is awesome. I always thought that the 7 inch tablets were kind of too small. When I went to the store to check it out the first thing I said to myself was that its kind of small for what I was looking for in a portable tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.