Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
However, while it would be good for a holiday season, would it be better for year-round profits? Apple tends to use yearly update cycles for their iPad/iPhone line, and if they move the iPad update to the fall time-frame, they would likely continue to keep it there - just like they did for the iPhone. That would put their largest profit devices debuting during the fall, rather than being about 1/2 year apart. (Don't forget we might also see an iPad mini) I think having them in different quarters would yield higher profits for Apple during the year and make profits more stable throughout the year, which is good for investors.

The trend fits.

iPod - introduced in 2001, goes through some rapid iterations in various months, becomes cash cow with incremental updates every holiday season starting in 2005.
iPhone - introduced in 2007, goes through some rapid iterations in various months, becomes cash cow with incremental updates every holiday season starting in 2011.
iPad - introduced in 2010, goes through some rapid iterations in march's/april's, becomes cash cow with incremental updates every holiday season starting in 2012?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Ah yes after each product release, MacRumors will most definitely be heating up with the worry warts, wondering where there order is...

There's going to be some fun posts to read coming to a display near you, in the not too distant future. :D

----------

Did this guy not work for Digitimes? That would make anything he comes up with utter bull
Another "Bash The Reporter" post, apparently it never gets old to point the finger away from Apple.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hopefully with a matte display option. Or else it is a deal-braker, since it is a serious health and productivity issue.*MacMatte.

For you, but some of us don't need the color killing of a matte display and know how to calibrate and position our displays to avoid glare

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
The timing is off on the 13" retina and the 21.5" imac unless they release today.

The dots on the line are the mid-month mark. Yeah: it's ridiculous, but that's the deal with this fluff-n-puff predict-graphic. So the prediction is that on Sept. 12th they will release two non-iPhone devices...

Could happen.

On the OTHER HAND, I saw these similar graphics floating around for other predictions (supposedly by the same guy) and they were wrong. Flat wrong.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
so what will the next iPad if they are already releasing an updated version:confused:

Dont Make Sense:confused:

iPod and iTouch released together - that makes sense;)

iMac this year sounds very obvious!

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
something doesnt add up ... apple is gonna release an 21.5 inch imac but no 27inch?? but rumors point out that were actually seeing shortages in the 27 inch.. ??? doesnt add up... somethings wrong here i also dont believe that apple will release just one version of the imac and leave the other one for later its jut not the way it works out people dont buy the 27 inch as much as 21.5 inch anyways so apple might just go ahead and release them both at the same time.. but one thing is for sure im gonna be really REALLY pissed if apple only updates the 21.5 inch... because ive been waiting for long and im not gonna get that 21 inch im in need of the 27 inch version... lets hope for the best.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
something doesnt add up ... apple is gonna release an 21.5 inch imac but no 27inch?? but rumors point out that were actually seeing shortages in the 27 inch.. ??? doesnt add up... somethings wrong here i also dont believe that apple will release just one version of the imac and leave the other one for later its jut not the way it works out people dont buy the 27 inch as much as 21.5 inch anyways so apple might just go ahead and release them both at the same time.. but one thing is for sure im gonna be really REALLY pissed if apple only updates the 21.5 inch... because ive been waiting for long and im not gonna get that 21 inch im in need of the 27 inch version... lets hope for the best.

are you serious?
if the timetable is true, the 27" is rumored to be out for october, you're asked to wait just ONE month!

every year people are getting more and more eager to buy new stuff, so much for the global crisis of economy.

IT:
i look forward to see what they're able to cram in the 13" rMBP, looks like a bigger challenge than the 15".
and i also wonder if the newt redesign of the mba will be significantly smaller/lighter, so that the two 13" won't look/feel too similar.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
I was in for an iMac would it have been released in the usual time frame. Now I would just wait for Haswell. I hope Apple will also wait. They could make 2013 the year of the Mac...

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I was in for an iMac would it have been released in the usual time frame. Now I would just wait for Haswell. I hope Apple will also wait. They could make 2013 the year of the Mac...

With Haswell not realistically expected until 2H13, you'd think they'd do something in between.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Why on earth would anyone expect separate release dates for the (theoretical) updated 3rd gen iPad and the Mac Mini, given that the 3rd gen iPad's (theoretical) only change is to the dock connector?

That 3rd gen iPad event is going to be rather short...

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
are you serious?
every year people are getting more and more eager to buy new stuff, so much for the global crisis of economy.

Some of our jobs depend on these machines...so that's why we're eager on the new iMacs..it's been almost 500 days now which is just unacceptable in terms of the pro market.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Another "Bash The Reporter" post, apparently it never gets old to point the finger away from Apple.

Why should the finger be pointed at Apple? The report is not from them but some "analyst". They traditionally never reveal anything about upcoming products, so what is the source of this information if not his imagination?

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
IMO if they stagger the release of the iMac and depending on how far appart I can see them announcing both models but releasing the 21.5" first, followed by the 27" in late October.

Which means we'll be lucky to see the 27" later in Nov... we'll it will make a nice Christmas gift to myself and I was hoping for a Birthday gift back in July :lol:

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Some of our jobs depend on these machines...so that's why we're eager on the new iMacs..it's been almost 500 days now which is just unacceptable in terms of the pro market.
The Mac Pro hasn't been updated in almost 800 days ;o

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Don't you think Apple would introduce the iPad Mini FIRST, since those who are still stuck (including myself) between the form factor of the iPhone/Touch and the iPad will want to wait to see how this new 7" size tablet will feel in our hands and decide if it's too big/small/just right?

I can't imagine Apple introducing an updated iPod Touch until after we've all had a chance to "yay" or "nay" the iPad Mini
The touch is an incremental update to a declining product line using the same screen as the iPhone5.

The iPad Mini may be released. It is a smaller size than the iPad 1 and 2 so has thermal budget issues. So until the die shrink happened it was a difficult niche. That also made a smaller battery practical for a 6+ hour uptime. I think the technical challenges to achieve "same or better" end user experience than iPad1 had to be resolved before it could be released. Also I think they expect to sell a bunch more 7's than 11's so needed to get the production lines and suppliers up and trained.

They are maxing out every "qualified" display maker in the world for goodness sake. :D

It is always the marginal case that provides the best insight. Look at all the articles about Sharp not being able to keep up with orders from Apple.

Rocketman

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
I think the release sequence will be like this:

Sept 12: iPhone/iPodTouch5 iPod Nano iMac Retina 21"

October : iPad Mini, MacBookPro retina 13, Mac mini

Next year: new Mac Pro "cube", cinema 4k display, maybe iMac 27r, and revised rMBP15 (June)

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I think the release sequence will be like this:

Sept 12: iPhone/iPodTouch5 iPod Nano iMac Retina 21"

October : iPad Mini, MacBookPro retina 13, Mac mini

Next year: new Mac Pro "cube", cinema 4k display, maybe iMac 27r, and revised rMBP15 (June)
Hm, there's always something better/faster/newer/cooler around the corner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.