Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
May I ask, what temperature according to the Promise utility you see for controller and backplane for a given room temperature for both your 2TB and 4TB model?

The Room has 26C and right now all of the 2TB disks have 38C (power cycle max is 39C; and lifetime max is 45C); controller is 51C, backplane is 48C; 1400rpm. The 4TB disk #1 has 43C (power cycle max is 45C and lifetime max is 49C); controller is 58C, backplane is 49C; 2200rpm.

I think the backplane max of 50 means it will spin the fan as fast as needed to keep backplane temp below 50C; so you should actually never reach backplane temp above 50C.

hope this helps

Last edited:

ix400

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
I have a quick question regarding the Promise Pegasus drives: Is it possible to use the Apple thunderbolt to ethernet adapter on the second TB port of the Pegasus? Can I Daisy Chain the network to my Macbook like this? If so, will this slow down the transfer rates from the pegasus to my MacBook?

Cheers, Chris

sfxguy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Los Angeles
Yes.
I went through a call with Promise engineers and they tested it for me on a conference call with a Dual Link Aggregation setup and it works just fine.
(I ended up going to a Drobo 5D instead, but yes it works great)

ix400

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Yes.
I went through a call with Promise engineers and they tested it for me on a conference call with a Dual Link Aggregation setup and it works just fine.
(I ended up going to a Drobo 5D instead, but yes it works great)

Thanks, Greetings to California,
Chris

Cecco

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Can confirm what sfxguy said. I have it running with Dual Link Aggregation on a Mac mini since July and it works without problems so far.

Didn't do any benchmarks though, but there should be plenty of headroom for the Thunderbold connection to use both the RAID and the Ethernet-Adapter to its limits.

Pete

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
really boaring - it just works

all is going well with the 4tb drives?
any hicckups???

The first R6(6x2TB=8/2011) and also the second R6(6x4TB=8/2012) are both completely stable.

I have them daisy chained; connected to a MacMini (LCD via HDMI). Even a iPhone 4S/GSM in 10in (20cm) distance causes no issues. I power it on and off; we use it every single day for about 6hrs.

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Bump.

Got a late-2012 bought Promise Pegasus R6 6x1TByte unit.
Is it definitely possible to put 6x4TB Hitachi 4TByte drives in it, or not?
— these Hitachi/HGST drives are the best priced 4TB's affordable at the moment (4TB's are finally getting affordable).

(However, I have read some things about MTBF [mean time between failure] issues if one uses enclosures with 20+ TBytes in them, but not sure if the info is relevant for SOHO [small office, home office] users?? So still rather confused as a layman, and with Promise's lacking info on 4Tbyte controller/software/firmware support?)

One idea is to use an additional backup (like my idea: the LaCie 20TByte 5big Thunderbolt unit, in R0?) — using Time Machine (or perhaps clone backup?) — would this would be OK?

(BTW, I want to stick with Thunderbolt for next 2-3 years future DAS storage [connected to a Mac Mini as media server], as this makes sense for great speeds now and going forward into the future, me thinks.)

Any setup thoughts/ideas really gratefully received for a a semi-expert home user storage user, folks.

("semi-expert" meaning: I've read a fair amount of stuff, without being anywhere near an expert in the storage field.)

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
If they use 4K sectors, then yes.

4K sectors? Thanks for answering, but can you expand a little for me, what exactly does this mean with regard to the R6?
Don't all 4TByte HDD's (and 3TB HDD's, for that matter) come using 4K sectors automatically anyway? Does one have to change something on the R6's set-up in the Promise Utility software accordingly, or is this all automatic on this enclosure?

EDIT: I've probably answered my own question, for reasons explained further above, after re-reading this thread. ...I know, rather silly of me, lol!
Though is this the same issue as MTBF (mean time between failures), I mentioned earlier? Can get e little confusing reading 'heavy' storage tech sites about this stuff.

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
OK, having researched this further I have decided to go for...

- 2x R6's.
- 1 (main storage), 1 (backup copy of main storage) — as all raids can fail!
- replacing the drives in them for fast 7200rpm 4TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000.
- both in RAID 5 level: 6x4TB = 20TB available on each.

One question I am still wondering about though:

If I use Time Machine to backup the main storage R6 to the backup R6, if the main storage R6 fails completely and one fixed it (eg. if 3 drives failed and I replaced them), can one rebuild the main storage R6 using Time Machine from the backup R6?

NB: the Mac Mini connected to the R6's is effectively just an SSD boot drive (with just apps on it, hence all data stored on the main storage R6) and has it's own 1TB HDD inside in the second drive bay with backups using Time Machine, so nothing on the Mini's SSD backs-up to the backup R6's Time Machine backups.

Anyone know if Time Machine would be able to do this? Or instead is there a better way to do backups from one external drive to another external drive?

Any advice gratefully received from the smart tech peeps I know hang around here on MacRumors! :)

randm

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
I got a 1 x 6TB R6 and I'm replacing the drives with 6 x 4TB Seagate ST4000dm000 drives, which are in Promise's latest hardware compatibility list. In fact, the June 2013 firmware update had some kind of fix for the Mac that's associated with using 4KB sectors. I'm wondering what sector size I should use for the logical disk (I'm using 6 drives in a RAID 5 configuration). The Seagate drives support 4K sectors but hard to tell if it has some sort of 512 byte support for compatibility, and how that would factor into what sector size to use when creating a logical disk in the R6. I'm also not sure if the Mac supports only 512 byte

sectors. Anyway, does anyone have advice on whether I should use 512 bytes or 4 KB for my R6 sector size? I created a logical disk with 4KB sector size just fine but I haven't used the. R6 much to know if I used right sector size.

Promise sells 24 TB R6's with the Seagate ST4000dm000. Does anyone know what sector size was used on them?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.