Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
The video does a good job showing off the size and heft of the device as compared to the current iPhone 4S. As noted in the video, this is a non-functional mockup. It's only used as dummy shell for case manufacturers.

So exactly how does a "mockup" "dummy shell" do a "good job showing off" the heft of the new iPhone?

As usual for MR, makes no sense at all.

----------

I said it before and I'll say it again, I want a bigger screen not a taller screen. But I am very invested in the iOS ecosystem. I'm not sure it is enough to keep me though.

Agree 100%. Big mis-step by Apple. I don't need to see an extra line of text in the contacts list, I need a wider screen to have a better media experience. Tall & skinny = lame.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Stupid display sticking out passed the side. Looks like another round of broken front glass again. When is apple gonna realize leaving the glass exposed like that is why the iphone is so prone to broken displays. Most phones have the side casing extend slightly passed the glass to protect it.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Can someone PLEASE explain the purpose of that ugly two tone?

It is the result of a unibody design that increases structural rigidity and allows the phone to be thinner.

Also to everyone saying this is just a stretched 4s, you are incredibly ignorant. The fact is, if many of the rumors are true, this could potentially be the biggest upgrade to the iPhone ever and some of you seem to be cherry picking these leaks for things to criticize. We are potentially looking at a fully upgraded external design with a larger screen, an incredibly thin design, unibody integration, and that's not even scratching the surface. On the inside I think we'll see an all new A6 chip with dramatic enhancements, 1gb of faster ram, a larger battery, 4g LTE, a new faster dock connector, and possibly a better FaceTime camera and NFC. HOW ARE SOME OF YOU STILL SAYING THIS ISN'T A BIG UPGRADE. IT'S CHANGING SOME OF THE MOST FUNDAMENTAL ELEMENTS OF THE IPHONE FOR THE BETTER. WHAT ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT?!?!!

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
They should just make the whole back aluminum like they did with the 1st. iPhone.

I'm really hoping that Apple pulls some stunt to wow me, other than trying to go after the Galaxy S III and the Note.

If the screen was as big as the Galaxy S III, I think that Apple would murder Samsung in sales besides there recent win of over $1 Billion, which Apple is not content cause there going after the S III and Note now.

BGR article on Apple adding to the injunction hitlist.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
I like it but my 4S is perfect for me right now so I'll wait till next years iPhone. In the meantime ill let you guys who plan on buying be the guinea pig ala iPhone 4 ;)

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
So what would you have them do? They tried all glass on the back. People complain that it's scratch prone and easy to crack. They tried an all plastic back and it felt cheap by comparison and had cracking issues. They can't yet mass produce radio-transparent metals, but that's obviously why they bought the rights to LiquidMetal's tech. An all-metal back would be a great design, but it just wouldn't work.

Design includes how it works.
What would I do? I'm no artist, but I'd start by matching the color of those bands to blend in and fade away with the rest of the back so they're not even noticeable.

Yes, the backs of phones are an engineering challenge. So get an engineer to fix it. That's their job. I'm an engineer, but even if I wasn't I don't need to be one to know when someone sucks at their job.

Aesthetics uncompromised by engineering flaws is what separates Apple from the rest of the tech industry. I expect better.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
What case manufacturer is "confident" enough to start making cases in volume when they haven't even seen the REAL device yet?

That would be like making an aftermarket bumper for a car using only the spy photos of the car in testing.

Let's hope at least one case manufacturer waits to see if it even fits...

NotABlindiSheep

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
Metal back is good for strength and structure, but antennas can't transmit and receive through metal very well. Therefore you need to have the non-metal windows to allow radio signals through.

I thought they made the silver band on the outside the antenna? Unless they've put actual antennas inside the phone and kept the silver band because they don't want to look like they made the wrong choice designing the 4/4S antenna.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
They should just make the whole back aluminum like they did with the 1st. iPhone.

iphone1stgen.jpg

1st iPhone looks 2-tone to me! (And IMO, the new iPhone design looks awesome!)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think the design of the next iPhone is fine and makes sense.

BUT…

We're kind of entering some weird territory here. Apple has ridiculous amounts of money. They have enough money that they could, in theory, order a bunch of fake parts and spew them all over the place. How much would that really take, a few tens of millions? Psshhhh, that's nothing!

Is it likely that they're doing that? Haha probably not. But how hilarious would it be if they did! Fake out everyone. Nearly impossible to do with such a huge product launch, but crazy to think about them pulling something like that off.

This launch just feels weird to me. I mean, the blogs have built the damn phone for crying out loud! Launch dates are nailed down. What could they possibly do to make it interesting at this point? Pull out something crazy?

Like I said, I'm not a hater. I like the new metal design. Hearkens back to the original. But something feels strange to me. It seems too easy this time. Hmmm…

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

Yea, but I'm not sure why they just didn't use the same two tone design as the first generation iPhone, with the black portion at the bottom (or top?). It would have been a nice tribute to the first design too.

The second tone in the middle does look tacky to me and I agree with the other poster that it makes the camera look very oddly placed.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
It's the same phone but longer. These guys are geniuses...

well why change an industry leading design? If it aint broke, don't fix it. They are modifying what is deemed to be the best there is. Geniuses? Yes they are. That is why they are so wealthy.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
I think the design of the next iPhone is fine and makes sense.

BUT…

We're kind of entering some weird territory here. Apple has ridiculous amounts of money. They have enough money that they could, in theory, order a bunch of fake parts and spew them all over the place. How much would that really take, a few tens of millions? Psshhhh, that's nothing!

Is it likely that they're doing that? Haha probably not. But how hilarious would it be if they did! Fake out everyone. Nearly impossible to do with such a huge product launch, but crazy to think about them pulling something like that off.

This launch just feels weird to me. I mean, the blogs have built the damn phone for crying out loud! Launch dates are nailed down. What could they possibly do to make it interesting at this point? Pull out something crazy?

Like I said, I'm not a hater. I like the new metal design. Hearkens back to the original. But something feels strange to me. It seems too easy this time. Hmmm…

This will be the biggest phone launch ever, with that requires MASSIVE MASSIVE production quantities, and with more being made, more leak out. Its not fake. It may seem too easy, but its not. No company would waste so much just to fool a few nerds who look for leaks (like me :eek:) when the average consumer won't see the leaks, and just see a new phone at a store or on TV.

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012

I knew someone was gonna say something on that. I know it's two toned, but the new iPhone would look better than having that damn other color on the top part where the camera is. I'll have to skin the phone if this is what we'll get.

Which do you like:

tumblr_m9rf1s9qrm1r0aasqo1_500.jpg

Or

tumblr_m9rf1s9qrm1r0aasqo2_500.jpg

Last edited:

sfrancis928

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Agree 100%. Big mis-step by Apple. I don't need to see an extra line of text in the contacts list, I need a wider screen to have a better media experience. Tall & skinny = lame.

You mean gaming experience? Not so sure, I think we'll see games and other apps take great advantage of the extra height. And I'm sure Apple will give us some good reasons to be excited about it on the 12th.

And there's no question the height is better for the video experience (a big part of the media experience).

By the way, it's not tall and skinny, just tall. It's no skinnier than it's ever been.

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
I said it once I'll say it again . . .

Give me great software. Everything else is extremely trivial!
You guys have to remember these are just leaks. Apple will find a way to make anything look beautiful. I just want cool new software to go with it.

I still feel like something big is going to happen, we STILL haven't heard about a killer feature(s) yet. And we all know there is one.

snowleopard48

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I prefer a nice, sleek all glass back to one with two seperate bits, however if they need it to be Aluminium then just make it all aluminium. The two tone is ugly as hell.

And also, if they call it "The New iPhone" ...I don't know what I'll think.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Now lets get a battery and boot her up!

No hole for the SIM slot? How the hell are you supposed to get it out?

It's a dummy with no working innards. Do people not read?

----------

So exactly how does a "mockup" "dummy shell" do a "good job showing off" the heft of the new iPhone?

As usual for MR, makes no sense at all.

Perhaps "heft" is the wrong word to use, but it does a good job of showing how it fits in the hand and how proportional it is. It doesn't look awkward and strangely elongated like in some of the renders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.