Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teamscottsmith

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
MeerKat-OSX.png

The Meerkat seemed horribly overlooked.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
They will probably move on to small cats.

Mac OS X Serval (I like that one)
Mac OS X Lynx
Mac OS X Bobcat (lol)

Last edited:

froggreenfrog

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I bet it will be called OSX bobcat

I bet it will be called OSX bobcat :apple

Last edited by a moderator:

billyjp

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
San Jose area
Valley Cat

Valley Cat.

Hey, I was just thinking: Did Apple plan to let this "cat" have exactly 9 lives, and then kill it off by merging into iOS?

That would be what I call "foresight"!

lightless

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
lol

OS X 10.9 Mufasa, king of (lying) lion.

Apple be lying so much about dates, they gonna be the CEO of the jungle!

lmao

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
I could definitely see Apple taking up the name "OSX Lynx" for their next OS release - although, they're really running out of easily identifiable types of wildcats :D

If they did make a transition in the theme of their naming schemes, I definitely don't think they'd adopt anything space related - since Google seems to already have done that (Android, Nexus) and Samsung (Galaxy) etc. - following in the footsteps of two of their largest competitors doesn't seem very Apple-esque. I could be wrong, though.

zippity

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Mac OS X 10.9 Liger?

I like the idea ;)! Maybe not for 10.9, but for the merge between OS X and iOS, if it ever happens.

For the 10.9 name, my first choice, personally, would be the ocelot, and then the saber-toothed tiger.

For the next generation OS, whatever it will be (iOS I?), possibly naming their operating systems after land formations would sound cool (iOS I 1.0 Volcano, 1.1 Mountain, 1.2 Gorge, etc.). If they wanted to go into space, I would name them after constellations (iOS I 1.0 Andromeda, 1.1 Pegasus, 1.2 Taurus, etc.).

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Here is another one that votes for constellations, I have already named my hard drive partitions with the names of few planets of the solar system so a constellation name for the OS will be the perfect complement.

What I wondered is why so far, in the Cook era when we knew every detail of the Iphone 5 ages before the presentation, 1 month ahead of the rumored new OS presentation no one knows the name and features of the new OS?

Also if you google it you don't find a dime apart some speculation of late november 2013...

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
If Apple don't use constellation names than moons from our solar system and beyond would be nice.

OS X Luna
OS X Thebe
OS X Europa
OS X Typhon
OS X Hyrda
OS X Hyperion
OS X Titan

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
I took a look at the United States Patent and Trademark Office hoping to find any trademarked big cat names. What I discovered was that both Lynx and Cougar were trademarked by Apple in 2003. So that should put the mystery to rest until 10.11 ;)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I took a look at the United States Patent and Trademark Office hoping to find any trademarked big cat names. What I discovered was that both Lynx and Cougar were trademarked by Apple in 2003. So that should put the mystery to rest until 10.11 ;)
Both trademarks for Lynx and Cougar were abandoned around 5 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.