Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
The nano sim spec has the card at 0.67mm thick, the existing micro sim is 0.76mm thick. it might be possible a cut down micro sim will work although it could also be too tight due to its thickness.

It may bepossible to sand the back down by this 0.1mm as the current sim has approximately 0.3mm of plastic behind the chip.

Interesting as my carrier has only recently launched the micro sim, If I upgrade I would prefer not to switch carriers!

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I hope we can cut the nano sim like we did in micro sim fromthe standard sim, else its a bit of problem !!

someone earlier said (edit: user MyRomeo) that the new sim is slimmer too, so unless you have a super precise meat slicer, don't hold your breath.

Last edited:

diegaulle

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
T-Mobile USA doenst carry the iPhone.
But here in Germany T-Mobile Germany is carrying the iPhone since day 1 ^^.

1st Gen iPhone wasnt sold in Germany. So maybe since day 358?

Sorry for being the Klugscheißer.

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
someone earlier said that the new sim is slimmer too, so unless you have a super precise meat slicer, don't hold your breath.

Some super fine grit sandpaper, 300 grit or better, should be able to take off the extra plastic. The trick will be is making a jig to hold the cutdown sim so sanding is possible.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Next up, Pico-SIM. Coming to iPhone 7 next year. Then Femto-SIM in iPhone 8 2014.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Some super fine grit sandpaper, 300 grit or better, should be able to take off the extra plastic. The trick will be is making a jig to hold the cutdown sim so sanding is possible.

Surely you would sand before cutting down?

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London

You could just hold it and sand down your fingertips at the same time - just like Steve Jobs once said :D

RTP.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
It will take time for carriers to feel ok with complete loss of control over their clients with physical objects such as sim cards, but yes, heading there

You must work for Verizon who completely controls user hardware on their network.

A SIM card allows a user freedom to use any GSM phone they chose.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
You must work for Verizon who completely controls user hardware on their network.

A SIM card allows a user freedom to use any GSM phone they chose.

Now, I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason and all but I struggle with this.

The sim card is just something that stores certain settings that tell the network who you are and lets you connect to that specific network, right?

In this day and age, what's stopping us from having a virtual sim card, basically just a secure little bit of memory on your smartphone, that you can download as many different "sims" onto as you like and just choose which one you want to use from a little sub menu? Each one would be unique, generated at the point of download, and you could back them up to a secure, cloud based service so if the worst happened you could get a new handset and redownload your sim with all your settings, etc. Of course, if anyone accessed this that would be an issue I guess but there's always a loophole, right?

I mean, wouldn't this system be the most flexible? If I go to a foreign land there's Wifi at the airport, right? A little booth maybe that lets me connect and download the most competitive sim for my intended uses and top up and all that. When I arrive home GPS locates me and automatically pops me back over to my normal network.

Why is this not a good idea? If it is a good idea, who is it who wants it to not happen and why?

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Exactly. This is PR 101. Nokia/MS holds event tomorrow - Apple announces their own keynote and steals the thunder.

Nah, it actually has more to do with that is how Apple operates. They send out invites 1 week ahead of the event. And it's always at 10 PST.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Not looking forward to a repeat of the iPhone 4 launch and all the frantic searching trying to find an O2 shop that (a) had micro SIM cards and (b) was willing to give them out to be ready for when my phone was delivered.

I was told afterwards by an O2 shop person that they had been told to stockpile them for new iPhone customers, in the end on launch day they had 150 SIM cards but only got 10 iPhones to sell, but still their manager wouldn't let them give them to existing customers.

Yes I know you can cut them down yourself, but FFS, it shouldn't have to come to that!

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
He means no SIM at all.
A software based-SIM which is what Apple wanted from day one.

Isnt Software-Based SIM basically the same thing as CDMA-no Sim?
I would think physical SIMs are good because you can swap them out and such when you go to other countries (on unlocked iPhones)...Physical SIMS always meant more transferability to me...CDMA-Non-SIMs always seemed more untransferable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.