Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I have Aplus.net and after few years I am growing tired of them and looking for an alternative to host my site.
I am a graphic artist and I am looking for a web hosting that can offer several FTP accounts, at least 50gb storage and reliable email.
I really like Media Temple but $20 a month seems a bit too much for my needs and I am wondering what else is out there that you guys would recommend.

Thanks

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I'm using HostGator myself. Worked well for me, should meet those requirements.

jW

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
The yahoo! small businesses have decent offers and the 10x the storage space and 1k ftp accounts. I'm assuming (as it's yahoo!) that their webmail should be quite reliable.

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/compare-plans

I've been use BlueHost for the last 5 years personally and their prices are comparable to gatorhost. It seems that around $5/month is norm these days. Also, many hosting services offer discounts if you buy a year or two at a time as opposed to month to month.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Don't bother with MediaTemple. At $20/m (about 4x as much as their competitors) you'll get good support and their fancy 'cpanel' thing. But that's about it. The reason they have and need such good support is because you'll be needing to talk to them about downtime or various other problems.

I was with them for half a year and experienced several long periods of downtime, and at one point they leaked all the mysql passwords. You don't get what you pay for with MT.

There are some people that have good experience with MT, but there are also some people who have good experience with Hostgator for 1/4th the cost :)

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Google best hosts for 2012, pick one of the top 5 that pops up in the review.

I've used Yahoo, HostGator, JustHost, hosted my own servers ( still do ).

I currently use JustHost for clients, the daily backup thing they just added for free has already saved two clients from destroying their own websites. Sad for me, I get paid to fix their stuff, but good for them.

just me

PS i loved hostgator as well, yahoo wasn't bad at all either, self hosting is fairly painless as well ( I've run solaris, unix, linux, and tried to run a windows server for about 2 minutes; currently running ubuntu servers from the office ).

MtMatt

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2012
@Gugy

Sorry to hear that the price pushed you away. Feel free to PM me, and I'll definitely try and help you out with that monthly fee.

@nathanCH

We've definitely had our share of issues in the past, but we have seen a major change in uptime and positive sentiment from the majority of our customers. Things on the (gs) are running a lot more smoothly these days, and we're looking to bring in some big changes before the end of the year. I'm really sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience, but we'd love to get you back one of these days to test things out.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Thanks for the info.
My gripe with Aplus is more about their customer service when it comes to help solve problems. they do not seem very helpful, especially when it comes to the Mac.
I'll check the other options.
MT was one option but $20/m is pretty steep for my needs.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I've been hosting with Server Logistics for a while now, small company doing Mac hosting that I've been very happy with. I'm actually in the process of moving my other domains over from MediaTemple to this account.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
@nathanCH

We've definitely had our share of issues in the past, but we have seen a major change in uptime and positive sentiment from the majority of our customers. Things on the (gs) are running a lot more smoothly these days, and we're looking to bring in some big changes before the end of the year. I'm really sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience, but we'd love to get you back one of these days to test things out.

Thanks for you reply. I've noticed anytime someone mentions something negative about MT one of you is always there to respond which is pretty cool.

Support is very good at MT, but you'll be needing to talk to them more than you want to. :)

MtMatt

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2012
Thanks for you reply. I've noticed anytime someone mentions something negative about MT one of you is always there to respond which is pretty cool.

Support is very good at MT, but you'll be needing to talk to them more than you want to. :)

You bet. We try to stay up on the problems customers are having. It was definitely a problem in the past, but we've noticed a considerable drop in the need for support these past 8 months. That statistic should keep improving with all the new additions we're making. In any case, I wish you guys the best of luck with your hosting in the future. You know where to find us if you have any questions.

bronxred

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Bronx
Thanks for the info.
My gripe with Aplus is more about their customer service when it comes to help solve problems. they do not seem very helpful, especially when it comes to the Mac.
I'll check the other options.
MT was one option but $20/m is pretty steep for my needs.

I didn't like Aplus either, and GoDaddy was a nightmare. Did you find a service you like? If not, check out Dreamhost. I've been with them for nine years and they have always been quick, courteous and helpful whenever I've had an issue or question of any kind. They're pretty cheap, have all the usual "unlimited" stuff, a great control panel, and one-click installs of WordPress and other CMS systems.

Jake :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.