Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I'm curious on how many new customers have the 4S compared to the 3GS and 4 as this may impact this years sales due to 2-year contracts in North America and any other nation which has contracts. It seemed the 4S had the most sales of any iPhone launch to date (especially given new launches in countries that didn't have iPhone's).

I'm curious as this may [negatively] impact sales as customers will either wait for next years model or [some may] pay the full price for an off contract device. Either way, I can't imagine the "5" surpassing the 4S in global sales. Any one have exact figures? Thanks!

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Having the speaker grills machined out of the aluminum rather than having the mesh is so much better, both in looks and in design.

I know the asymmetry will bother some, but I like the move to this unibody chasis. As much as people are whining about how it doesn't look all that different, the processes involved to manufacture this device are obviously much improved/advanced than before.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
With all these leaks, they should have just had the event this week.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
I can reduce the thickness of my iPhone 4 to that of the iPhone 5 by simply removing the back panel :/
There's barely any structure added by the back panel in the first place. I'm sure the iPhone 5 has Something Neat about its new construction, but the difference in thickness doesn't really seem all that impressive.

GoH5K.jpg

Last edited:

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Having the speaker grills machined out of the aluminum rather than having the mesh is so much better, both in looks and in design.

I know the asymmetry will bother some, but I like the move to this unibody chasis. As much as people are whining about how it doesn't look all that different, the processes involved to manufacture this device are obviously much improved/advanced than before.

Dirt and grime will get into the phone a little easier. I hope there's still a grille mesh behind the holes.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Forget the haters, I think this is one sexy looking device.

This new chassis is greatly improved from the last generation. The way its manufactured, unibody, thickness, and form is all on a positive note.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
4/4S...same body.

I am fairly certain they are different. The cases don't work, but if you are comparing for thickness they are the same. But then if someone says "This is the iPhone 5 next to the 4S!" when it is the 5 next to a 4, either they are losing credit or made a typo. Hard to determine with rumors.

Nintendolinky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2008
Is it just me or does the speaker grill seem a bit out of place for Apple. Ten holes on one side and sixteen on the other, it would look much cleaner if they just did five on each.

Last edited:

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Is it just me or does the speaker grill seem a bit out of place for Apple. Five holes on one side and eight on the other, it would look much cleaner if they just did five on each.

My guess is 8 holes is for the speaker. If so, you'd be glad there were that many holes. Then there isn't enough room for 8 on the other side for the mic.

EDIT: 16...didn't x2 rows

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Why do they always compare to the 4S? The 4 has the same dimensions, but it always gets left out in comparisons...:D

Why does it matter, if they have identical dimensions? The comparisons are to the latest model.

dlastmango

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
West Coast - FLORIDA
...reports have pegged the iPhone 5 thickness at 7.6 mm, 18% thinner than the iPhone 4S at 9.3 mm.

But iPhone users will across the globe will bury this slim device in a otterbox case and make it thicker than a 3G!
:D

Dobiewonkanobie

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
I can reduce the thickness of my iPhone 4 to that of the iPhone 5 by simply removing the back panel :/
There's barely any structure added by the back panel in the first place. I'm sure the iPhone 5 has Something Neat about its new construction, but the difference in thickness doesn't really seem all that impressive.

The difference is the back and sides are one piece. It should inherently be stronger this way.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
By what measure? And if so, it will surely disappoint.

Disappoint who? You and the other tech nerds who are looking for some unnecessary redesign? You must be extremely unhappy with Apple selling the same notebook designs for 4-5 years at a time...:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.