Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Millions of people will upgrade as soon as it comes out, can i install the update as soon as it comes out over iCloud or should i wait a couple of days? Everyone had problems with their iPhone and iTunes crashing while updating and loosing everything last year so yeah.

What should I do and will you install it as fast as possible?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I've never had an issue updating on the day an iOS has hit the shelves. Stop worrying so much!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Millions of people will upgrade as soon as it comes out, can i install the update as soon as it comes out over iCloud or should i wait a couple of days? Everyone had problems with their iPhone and iTunes crashing while updating and loosing everything last year so yeah.

iOS 6 beta 4 has been running pretty well on my iPhone 4. As always, you should always do a full backup in iTunes prior to major version update. That way, you can always revert if things go wrong.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
iOS 6 beta 4 has been running pretty well on my iPhone 4. As always, you should always do a full backup in iTunes prior to major version update. That way, you can always revert if things go wrong.

Ummmm You can't revert 2 days after the official update goes out. This is what the OP was referring to.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
It's not about running fine, it's APPLE we're talking about. Apple gets overloads on their servers when millions try to install a new OS from them and many iPhones tend to crash and go badabingbong. That's what i'm afraid of. :/

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
It's not about running fine, it's APPLE we're talking about. Apple gets overloads on their servers when millions try to install a new OS from them and many iPhones tend to crash and go badabingbong. That's what i'm afraid of. :/

Activation servers go cablooey with the influx of new iPhone purchases. Hs nothing to do with the OS update.

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
This will be the first major OS update since the introduction of iCloud. The beauty of iCloud is that it backs up most of your critical data like your contacts, SMS, notes, etc. What you might loose is app data so yes there is a possibility you may loose your progress in Temple Run. But my experience usually saves even app data.

Since iCloud is also Apple server side I recommend running an iCloud back-up a day or two before you update. And as nutmac said, back-up to your computer as well before you update.

The big problem with people losing stuff on their phone when iOS5 came out was the phone would get hung up during the update process, due to the large surge on the servers from users trying to update, and have to be put into DFU mode, I myself had to do this. And then it would need to be restored from a previous back-up, I had to do this as well. Since a large majority of iPhone users have never even connected their device to their computer or sadly aren't even aware of doing that, they lost their data. So, to insure you get all your critical data from your phone back if this scenario happens, make sure your device is set to back up things like notes, contacts, apps, etc. on your computer through iTunes when the device is connected.

If you follow these steps and take the proper proactive steps to save your data then you will be ok in an instance where the phone gets hung up and must be restored during the update process.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Make a backup and do the update.

It sounds like you're worried about getting an incomplete download and having your phone screwed, correct? If so, you have nothing to worry about - the phone verifies the update before it installs (I assume it uses MD5 hashes). So if the download is even a single byte different to what it should be, the phone won't install it.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I would just put it on charge, click update, and go to sleep at night. When you wake up, there is a pretty good chance it will be done.

I say pretty good because ultimately it is software and there is always something buggy with software - hence new versions.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL

Never seen someone AFRAID to install an update, odd.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I have never seen Apple release an iOS update to the public that has a "fatal" aspect to it. Sure, maybe a slight decrease in battery life from 4.3.3 to 5.0.0, but nothing that would ruin your experience or render your device useless.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009

Plug your iphone/ipad into your computer and make a backup with itunes prior to upgrading; everything should go smoothly (this isn't iOS 2 ..), but if it doesn't just restore from the backup. nothing to be afraid of

Cowhoon

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
Last year when I was downloading ios 5 I had no problems. But make sure you back up your device before you update because you never know what could happen!
-Cowhoon

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Please, wait at least a month.....

...that way the rest of us can use your bandwidth...

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
This will be the first major OS update since the introduction of iCloud. The beauty of iCloud is that it backs up most of your critical data like your contacts, SMS, notes, etc. What you might loose is app data so yes there is a possibility you may loose your progress in Temple Run. But my experience usually saves even app data.

Since iCloud is also Apple server side I recommend running an iCloud back-up a day or two before you update. And as nutmac said, back-up to your computer as well before you update.

The big problem with people losing stuff on their phone when iOS5 came out was the phone would get hung up during the update process, due to the large surge on the servers from users trying to update, and have to be put into DFU mode, I myself had to do this. And then it would need to be restored from a previous back-up, I had to do this as well. Since a large majority of iPhone users have never even connected their device to their computer or sadly aren't even aware of doing that, they lost their data. So, to insure you get all your critical data from your phone back if this scenario happens, make sure your device is set to back up things like notes, contacts, apps, etc. on your computer through iTunes when the device is connected.

If you follow these steps and take the proper proactive steps to save your data then you will be ok in an instance where the phone gets hung up and must be restored during the update process.

This is EXACTLY what i mean! Thank you! <3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.