Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage4.png

Apple has released an update to Java, bringing the standard OS X Java installation to parity with Oracle's latest release of Java SE 6.
About Java for OS X 2012-005

Java for OS X 2012-005 delivers improved security, reliability, and compatibility by updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_35.
Java for OS X 2012-005 is available for OS X Lion and Mountain Lion.

Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 10 is available for OS X Snow Leopard.

Article Link: Apple Releases Updates Java for OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
Safer to not have Java installed in the first place.

Apple needs to release a simple to use UN-installer to protect it's customers.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
There are, unfortunately, many useful products that require java. unfortunate only because it is an awkward dependency.

This is great to see such a far reaching patch from Apple.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Yes but this fixes a security issue, so ofcourse Apple will update! As far as SE 7, apple will no longer update to the new version of Java.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Java is wonderful server-based technology, less wonderful on the client side on the desktop.

That said, one needs Java for OpenOffice on Macs.

It's useful as an embedded operating system for a wide range of devices like phones, etc.

AndyUnderscoreR

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Hasn't Apple stated that they would NO LONGER supply Java updates? What the heck is this now?

They stated they would not be porting any *new* versions of Java. The old versions of java they ported are still being updated and patched.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Java is useless

The Minecraft players alone will destroy you!

Many of my tools are Java-only. Apple's Xraid management program? Java. Cisco's Network Assistant (switch config)? Java. Cisco's ASDM (ASA / firewall / router config)? Java.

I need Java. I do not need the security issues.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Java is useless

So useless that many of us use it daily and ... *gasp*.. don't hate it.
Java like Flash or any other development technology has it's proper places and uses. They all have their pros/cons. Do I want all apps I run to be Java? Absolutly not. But are there scenarios where it is the appropriate choice? Absolutly. Many System Admins, remote workers, etc... depend on Java and do so without issue. We don't want Jave used for everything, just like we don't want Objective C used for everything, or Flash, or AppleScript, or .Net, or any other technology. You use the best tool for the job and Java quite often does in fact fit that.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Notwithstanding Java's absolute irrelevance, I have a different question:

Hasn't Apple stated that they would NO LONGER supply Java updates? What the heck is this now?

Apple said they would not be providing or supporting Java 7. That is up to Oracle / Java community to provide.

Apple will continue to support Apple's own Java 6 release that is currently available for 10.8 and earlier. It is likely starting with 10.9 Apple's Java 6 will be removed and hence no longer supported.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
First I'm pleasantly surprised Apple is still updating Java SE 6 since AppleInsider reported that the previous Java update would be Apple's last. (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/05/apple_readies_final_in_house_java_updates_ahead_of_oracle_handoff.html) Then I'm also pleasantly surprised Snow Leopard received the update since I thought Apple would leave Snow Leopard to the wolves now that Mountain Lion is released. All-in-all a pretty pleasant day.

Interestingly, Oracle recognizes the large installed base and development momentum of Java SE 6 and has extended it's EOL twice already from July 2012 to November 2012, then from November 2012 to February 2013. I wonder how long Apple will continue to release Java SE 6 updates? Given February 2013 isn't that far away, I hope Apple just sticks with it and continues offering Java SE 6 updates to the end, especially since Java SE 7 won't be coming to Snow Leopard.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Notwithstanding Java's absolute irrelevance <snip>

Java is unfortunately far from irrelevant.

Some applications (Adobe CS, Minecraft, Family Tree Maker) use it.

I personally would like to see them abandon it and use purely Objective C, but I suspect Java is used because it is a genuine cross platform language.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011

... what? You need to get out more if you think Java is irrelevant.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Java is useless

For you, but java is still used by many companies in-house and it works well and secure. Also used for education, now go play and let the big boys discuss real issues. :rolleyes:

----------

Can you elaborate on this?

No he can't its just emotional outburst. :rolleyes:

----------

They may not have had a choice, I am just glad they are. This is only my take but Apple is another company now and we may see more support for older system in the coming years as it transitions from Steve's company to a company that should push into the server and Corp side. Corporation expect more than just 2 or 3 years support.

Either way this Java issue is way over blow for people that have been online for years. Its reality no system is completely secure and no system is ever up to date when it comes to security. Plus don't we already know not to open mail we don't know or not to go to sites we know better not to.

Just uncheck the Java on Safari and move on, such little scared children. Its the internet not the boogyman. :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.