Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late last month, Japanese blog Mac Otakara sparked particular interest in a set of photos of an assembled front panel from the iPhone 5 by claiming that a square feature near the top of the part was likely to be related to near field communications (NFC) capabilities. That interest was quickly tamped down when The Loop reported later in the week that there would be no NFC in the iPhone 5.

Despite the fact that the square feature is slightly off-center with respect to the device, we've assumed that it must be the earpiece speaker, and consultations with experts at RepairLabs have suggested the same.

iphone_5_earpiece_speaker.jpg
Assembled front panel with earpiece bracket removed - bracket and speaker at right
Sonny Dickson has now posted a new set of photos of the assembled front panel that shed some additional light on the situation. A couple of the photos show the square bracket having been removed, and one photo in particular contains a partial view of what does indeed appear to be an earpiece speaker.

iphone_5_earpiece_speaker_removed.jpg
Closeup of front panel with bracket and speaker removed and front camera folded back
Apple is expected to introduce the iPhone 5 at next Wednesday's media event.

Article Link: New Photos Indicate Previously-Thought NFC Chip in iPhone 5 is Earpiece Speaker

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
We will see soon enough.......woohoo

After the events yesterday,I don't see any to pull me away from iPhone. (although the new lumina 920 looked pretty good).

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
With NO NFC Chip, Apple is D O O M E D. !!! :p:p:p

They will sell like 75 units total.

/s

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
Shame they don't have it. It won't deter my decision to buy the iPhone though. I'm not buying it for that functionality. When the tech is matured enough. Well see it happen. Can't wait for Wednesday. Wooooo.

Man4allsea

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
Someone's gonna get in trouble

There's enough in that photo to figure out who took it.
First, there's the serial number, second there's her finger (at least I hope it's a she with nails like those.)

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
They are disguising their finger identity with those long nails. After the pictures are taken, they will clip the nails and no one will ever know. :D

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
A few more than 75, but yes.. Apple is getting left in the dust. The phones have been progressively getting more and more underwhelming.

you make it sound like any other phone is really pushing NFC into the mainstream as of now.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
The Galaxy S3 has NFC... but it's most useful feature... Google Wallet is blocked by most carriers in the US. You have to run a hack to get it working.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Not a make or break feature for me at this time.

I've had 2 phones with NFC and there was no real benefit.

I can see the potential for easy pairing and sharing though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.