Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
The $50 annual data plan is the most intriguing part of the new Kindle Fire package, imo. What carrier is that through??

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I would like to get my hands on one and try it for size - 8.9" is a very interesting size for a tablet, I sometimes think the Ipad is too big and 7" tablets are too small.

Maybe Amazon have hit the sweet spot here?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
What happens after you eat 250MB? Pretty vague on the LTE details there, Jeff.

Not any less vague than Steve was with iTunes Match which led to flurries of posts on MR.

The problem is Amazon is just as closed that the Apple Market. I've know a couple people buy them thinking they were getting Android only to take them back when they realised that Amazon has to approve all Apps meaning that many of the popular ones are not supported

Yes. But to me - Amazon media can be played on many more devices - including Apple. Not the same in the other direction. At least books and movies.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
wow, just wow. 1920x1200; and apple is going to release the ipad mini with 1024x768???

LOL. Sad.:apple:

Yes because you guys know EXACTLY what resolution screen Apple is releasing with the iPad Mini.

Do you really think Apple is going to have an Retina iPhone and a Retina iPad and then release the mini with a sh-t display?

Really? Have you not seen what Apple has released the last year with the iPad and MBPro?

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Forget about the tablet itself, the $49 per YEAR data plan for 250mb monthly is amazing. Granted, its only 250mb but AT&T currently charges $15 a month for that pittance.

I hope these lower prices find their way to the iPad. I'm not going to be happy to pay a premium on the same LTE service just for the privilege of already paying more for an iPad.

I think Amazon is selling this directly and handling all the carrier relationships themselves (like the Kindle 3G).

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Crap? You obviously didn't watch the Keynote.

What did they put in the Flux Capacitor or something? Did I miss something Earth shattering?

What I saw was a lot of low priced shovel ware. Every Kindle Fire owner I know thinks it sucks. When it came out it had good specs as well.

Fool me once....

phape

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
4G Pricing

Interesting pricing on the 4G, it leaves a few questions (what other options are there, who's the service provider etc). The question I have for the iPad users though is, can you get by with 250 MB of data for a month if you just use it for web browsing most days of the month. That $50 seems like a steal and may be exactly what I need.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yes because you guys know EXACTLY what Apple is releasing with the iPad Mini.

Do you really ***** think Apple is going to have an Retina iPhone and a Retina iPad and then release the mini with a sh-t display?

Really?

First generation device - quite possibly.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Just a shame about the crappy OS Amazon have put over the top of it.

The iPad mini will look pitiful by comparison though if it only comes with a pathetic 1024x768 display.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Not any less vague than Steve was with iTunes Match which led to flurries of posts on MR.

Yes. But to me - Amazon media can be played on many more devices - including Apple. Not the same in the other direction. At least books and movies.

Amazon should have released their iPad Video player a long time ago. I would have bought all my movies there (like I do with books and magazines now).

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
Forget about the tablet itself, the $49 per YEAR data plan for 250mb monthly is amazing. Granted, its only 250mb but AT&T currently charges $15 a month for that pittance.

I hope these lower prices find their way to the iPad. I'm not going to be happy to pay a premium on the same LTE service just for the privilege of already paying more for an iPad.

I wonder what the overage cost is going to be on that $50 a yr. I curious to know if it's higher than overages for AT&Ts $15 a month plan. I would think AT&T isn't giving it away and they're planning on recouping it on the back end.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
or profits.

Why do you I care about their profits on this hardware? I just care about the end product, I will let the bean counters at Amazon figure out how to make money off this product.

If it is a loss-leader, they can make it work. Ask game console makers...

inspirations365

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
I'm going to play Hater On Amazon right now:

This thing is simply a bigger Fire. The most innovative thing (if you can call it that) about this thing is the cheap LTE plan! Amazon seemed to market the hell out the of the specs, which didn't really translate into noticeable benefits for the consumer. Who will actually notice that their new fire has two smart-switching antennas? Did the old Fire have an issue streaming stuff? I'm guessing no, so...as long as you can stream a video without noticeable buffering pauses, WHO WILL CARE?

This is the same Amazon front-end it has always been. Which is the point, I know, but still...I was hoping for a more ferocious competitior to the iPad.

/Hater

I can't wait to see this thing in action!

Also: for those wondering as to the carrier, that LTE logo that was used is same as AT&T, IIRC...which is to say that it exists in its current state for like 20 markets or some ****.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Interesting pricing on the 4G, it leaves a few questions (what other options are there, who's the service provider etc). The question I have for the iPad users though is, can you get by with 250 MB of data for a month if you just use it for web browsing most days of the month. That $50 seems like a steal and may be exactly what I need.

Web browsing when your not on Wifi yeah, probably. My iPad usage only goes over that when I am stuck in a hotel with terrible wifi.

Lynn Belvedere

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Near-retina quality 8.9" tablet for $299? Hot damn.

The 768p iPad mini will look like garbage compared to the Fire HD.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
RACE TO THE BOTTOM BABY!

Cool overall though. So cheap wow. Undercuts the Nexus 7 which under cut the Kindle Fire which undercut the Nook all of which desperately tried to undercut the iPad (different market I suppose). $50 a year for LTE data is crazy though, too bad Amazon is only a great company if you live in the US :(

It will be amusing when people complain that their 0.99$ apps are too much to pay on their $150 tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.