Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mac-App-Store-Twitter.png

According to a tweet from the well-connected MG Siegler, Twitter is discontinuing development of Twitter for Mac, though it will still remain available.
Word is that Twitter made the call today: Twitter for Mac is done. They won't kill it outright, but no further updates. Goodbye, old friend.
The decision is a curious one, considering the recent changes Twitter made to its API agreements that make it more difficult for third parties to create Twitter apps.

Tweetbot recently discontinued its public Alpha program for Tweetbot for Mac because of the changes, and it remains to be seen what will happen to OS X Twitter clients going forward. Twitter for Mac originally launched on the Mac App Store in 2011, after Twitter purchased Tweetie and turned its Mac client into the official Twitter client.

One of the biggest complaints made about Twitter for Mac recently is its lack of support for the MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

Article Link: Twitter Reportedly Discontinuing Development of Official Twitter for Mac Client

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I don't understand, is twitter trying to shut itself down? All I here is bad news lately. Are they running out of their funding or something?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I thought that had happened a while ago. The last update was June 2011.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I don't understand, is twitter trying to shut itself down? All I here is bad news lately. Are they running out of their funding or something?

No they are tightening down their ecosystem much like Facebook has always done. Money is not an issue with their investors.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I guess Twitter is trying to be a web-only service... I wonder when they'll discontinue their iOS apps

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
People are wise not to speculate. Just the job listings alone should be a clue they are growing.

More than likely Apple is working with Twitter on advanced functionality via Services that allows more app collaboration with Twitter so continuing to extend functionality to a client app seems redundant.

Get it?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
No they are tightening down their ecosystem much like Facebook has always done. Money is not an issue with their investors.

Yes but there's tightening your ecosystem and then there's what Twitter is doing... Facebook still allows for 3rd party apps to access it as a direct means of reaching the site, look at all the FaceTab apps that do well on the App Store.

The Twitter app is a way for twitter to still push adverts to it's users, OSX integration is not, at all. They're cutting off a revenue stream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.