Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 6, 2012, 07:26 PM   #26
upthetoffees
macrumors member

All of these services discussed are incredibly poor for the musician.

The musician is faced with 'ok people are grabbing your records for free, let's make them pay 0.0000005 cents per play, it's better than nothing. That is.. if they can be bothered to sign up. Oh and it might actually not be quite 0.000005'
upthetoffees is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 07:29 PM   #27
NorEaster
macrumors regular

Copy cat Apple?

Flame me all you want... but where are all of the Apple fanatics who always claim that Apple innovates and everyone else copies? Sounds like Apple is thinking about copying a music delivery model that someone else pioneered.
NorEaster is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 07:33 PM   #28
Mykbibby
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Mykbibby
Apple is so behind the times on digital music. I migrated to Spotify after being a loyal iTunes user for years and haven't looked back. I'm disappointed to hear the service will be ad-supported and radio based for the sake of my love for the company... but personally, this will be a great complement to my pre-existing Spotify collection.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 07:38 PM   #29
Rot'nApple
macrumors 65816

If it is ad supported and free, fine. Not gonna pay for a radio service though.
/
/

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorEaster View Post
Flame me all you want... but where are all of the Apple fanatics who always claim that Apple innovates and everyone else copies? Sounds like Apple is thinking about copying a music delivery model that someone else pioneered.
Name one product that Apple created? Computer, digital music player, cell phone, tablet? Nope, none of those. Now name one product that Apple through their innovation, reinvented the wheel and made it to where the 'me too' crowd scrambled to get theirs out the door! Computer, digital music player, cell phone, tablet! Yep! Now, you're catching on. Smart boy!
/
/
Rot'nApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 07:39 PM   #30
gotluck
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBreatheApple View Post
Interesting... I'd be willing to give it a try. I'm really liking Songza lately, I can't believe it's been out for as long as it has but is just now gaining recognition.
wow, i had never heard of songza

nice!!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 07:43 PM   #31
taxiapple
macrumors regular

Didn't Apple buy a music streaming company a couple years ago?
Then they shut it down and as far I know didn't do anything with it.
taxiapple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 07:48 PM   #32
rickdollar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiapple View Post
Didn't Apple buy a music streaming company a couple years ago?
Then they shut it down and as far I know didn't do anything with it.
Yes, LaLa. I was expecting great things from that, too. What the hell happened??
rickdollar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 07:50 PM   #33
filmantopia
macrumors regular

Don't know... This sort of sounds like a Ping-y idea to me.

Could be good though, but there needs to be a darn compelling reason to switch from Pandora, which is already a pretty excellent free service. Usually Apple succeeds where others have failed, and I don't exactly see where Pandora is lagging here.

I may of course be wrong and would be happy to learn more about their concept.
filmantopia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 07:55 PM   #34
NorEaster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post
Name one product that Apple created? Computer, digital music player, cell phone, tablet? Nope, none of those. Now name one product that Apple through their innovation, reinvented the wheel and made it to where the 'me too' crowd scrambled to get theirs out the door! Computer, digital music player, cell phone, tablet! Yep! Now, you're catching on. Smart boy!
/
/
Umm..what about Ping and iOS Notifications? Oh wait... you didn't think of those because you constantly live in the reality-distortion field of Apple fanaticism.

Trying living without Apple blinders (and try being better at sarcasm while you're at it).
NorEaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 07:55 PM   #35
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fins831 View Post
If they took on Spotify i'd be impressed, Pandora sucks by comparison.
I like pandora because it makes it easy to introduce myself to new music with extremely little effort on my part. If I find a song I like, I can make a station that will likely introduce me to even more music. It's quite nice.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 08:01 PM   #36
samcraig
macrumors G5

Love pandora and I know people rave about Spotify - but just haven't gotten into it.

That being said - this isn't all that exciting. How many streaming music apps/services do you really need?

If they go forward - it's most likely to push iAds. What I mean is - the iAd platform on iOS has been a hard/slow/expensive sell. It's not the moneymaker I believe Apple wanted it to be. The more places they can distribute iAds - the more impressions they can make and justify costs to the advertiser.

That will also factor into their Apple TV one day as well.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 08:04 PM   #37
Nicolas4ever
macrumors 6502a

I hope it's true.. I like pandora but its not available in france so i have to use vpn to use it.
Amazing news
Nicolas4ever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 08:17 PM   #38
faroZ06
Banned

Whatever it is, I'm not listening to it if it has the quality of Pandora. It sounds worse than AM radio.

----------

Quote:
Umm..what about Ping and iOS Notifications? Oh wait... you didn't think of those because you constantly live in the reality-distortion field of Apple fanaticism.

Trying living without Apple blinders (and try being better at sarcasm while you're at it).
He never said that everything Apple made is great and/or innovative. The Apple fanatics living in the "reality-distortion field" (love the Star Trek reference) think that pretty much everything Apple makes is good. Well, here's a short list of a few recent and terrible products:

Apple TV gen 1 (basically a Tiger computer that can only run iTunes)
iPod shuffle without buttons (WTF)
Ping (oh please no, KILL IT WITH FIRE)
iMac G5 (failure-prone, but at least it was user-serviceable)
original MacBook Air (slow and lame)
iMovie '08 (destroyed the amazing iMovie HD line)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post
If it is ad supported and free, fine. Not gonna pay for a radio service though.
/
/

----------

/
/
What's up with the slashes after everything you say? It's just annoying.
faroZ06 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 08:40 PM   #39
ant.t
macrumors newbie

I've been waiting for this news!

I've been paying for Spotify premium silence it came to US shores and it's perfect for 95% of my music needs. Light years better than Pandora. I just have to pay close attention to my "unlimited" at&t data. I'll gladly switch to a more integrated apple experience.
ant.t is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 08:42 PM   #40
rickdollar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
With a name like MacRumors, this site is naturally going to have a few loonies who think Apple can do no wrong. It's no different than what you'll find on a Microsoft, Canon, BMW, or any other brand enthusiast site. Don't let it bug you.
rickdollar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 08:50 PM   #41
Xenc
macrumors 6502a

It'd be interesting to see Apple's take on Spotify.
Xenc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 08:51 PM   #42
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

AYCE/discoverable music service through Apple? Yes please, I'll be first in line!
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:06 PM   #43
myers024
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fins831 View Post
If they took on Spotify i'd be impressed, Pandora sucks by comparison.
agreed

----------

Apple vs Spotify
myers024 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:58 PM   #44
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwyattjr View Post
With the Genius feature, they should definitely give services like Pandora a run for their money. It would be great if they integrated a complete Pandora-like service into iTunes.
Thank you! I always get annoyed when pandora streams songs I already own in my iTunes collection.

Would be great if the service is smart enough to play those songs locally (and not have them count as a skip credit), and mix it with streamed content
Tiger8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:23 PM   #45
Rumple
macrumors member

The only catch is you will probably need to buy the current generation mac to stream it. I kid well wirelessly maybe.
Rumple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:36 PM   #46
econgeek
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sounds like Apple is thinking about copying a music delivery model that someone else pioneered.
You're right. Apple should just buy Pandora. Much faster.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:40 PM   #47
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Well for Pandora I use PandaBar. To me it actually worth the price since there is no need for the Pandora One cost because it streams it after paying the one time buying cost. It really takes up no processor power on my 2008 Mac Pro.

Last edited by satcomer; Sep 8, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:01 PM   #48
Rumple
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
Well for Pandora i use the extellate PandaBar. To me it actually worth the price since there is no need for the Pandora One cost because it streams it after paying the one time buying cost. It really takes up no processor power on my 2008 Mac Pro.
That looks pretty cool. I would like to be able to do that then pipe it to my airport express and here it on my stereo.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:18 PM   #49
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumple View Post
That looks pretty cool. I would like to be able to do that then pipe it to my airport express and here it on my stereo.
Maybe something like getting and AppleTV, Airport Express and getting Airfoil?
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:25 PM   #50
Rumple
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
Maybe something like getting and AppleTV, Airport Express and getting Airfoil?
Thanks for the tip I've considered that a couple years ago then forgot about it. If only my mac mini had airplay support. It would be smooth sailing.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion