Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
In smaller and less developed countries the nano has so much potential (if done properly). This is just an opinion, but WIFI and free itunes match for nano users, 16 gb memory, 2 or 3 mp video camera, remote for any Mac.. 80€. perfect.

Yeah, I don't really by that. I'd like to see the market share of ipods in these "smaller and less developed countries." There is a growing trend of smartphones worldwide, all of them with the capability to store and play music. If anything, these ipod are now catering only to the younger generation.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
iPod Nano is doubled in size? And no longer suitable as a wrist device (which Apple promoted at the last event)?

I call BS.

They promoted the iPhone 3G's round back and then released the iPhone 4 with a flat one.

The 5th nano was promoted for its camera and then removed it with the 6th gen.

ancns

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2012
May just be me, but the first and second case in that pic look, or reminded me of, the Nokia Lumia 900 phone? Especially in the second one. Obviously the nano won't be the size of the Nokia. Those rounded bottom corners are what caught my eye.

Before iPod mini:eek:

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
It's gonna be interesting to see what Apple decides to do with the iPod line. This might be one of the biggest shake-ups since the iPod touch.

newnomad

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2003
Rename iPod touch to iPod and iPod nano to iPod mini? With mini baked in apps for itunes, photo video FB and twitter, making use of the wifi (with relay posting, once wifi available)?

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
I wonder how much money case designers waste just to hope to be able to offer a case day 1?

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
They promoted the iPhone 3G's round back and then released the iPhone 4 with a flat one.

The 5th nano was promoted for its camera and then removed it with the 6th gen.

OK.. Not sure how any of this is analogous to going backwards in Nano's shape, size and wearability.

With every new generation, Apple has shrunk Nano in size and increased its portability / wearability. I don't see any chance of them going backwards, and turning Nano into another larger rectangular device. They already have an iPod Touch as a larger / full featured PMP.

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal
That's not the point

Yeah, I don't really by that. I'd like to see the market share of ipods in these "smaller and less developed countries." There is a growing trend of smartphones worldwide, all of them with the capability to store and play music. If anything, these ipod are now catering only to the younger generation.

In these "smaller and less developed countries" like Portugal, my home, only a few percentage of smartphone users go high-end or use contracts. Not only that, what a product can actually do is not as important as what it does great.

For those that only listen to pirated 64kbits/s "music" (justin bieber, pop stars, etc.,a 100 € cheap android phone is more than enough.. I agree with you.

However, there is a market for a device like this one, done right. Look at amazon. They are far from perfect, but they have done one thing right:services.

Free itunes match for ipod (expecially the nano) is a killer feature. With this, Apple can put regular shuffle, nano and even classic users as (almost) certain new nano buyers, especially if they do not cheap design-wise and stop producing those older devices. 80 dollars, nice market, simpler line-up and direct profit + Itunes gets even stronger.

Am i wrong?

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland
Will the iPod Classic just die already :D

Why are you saying that… when 1) It's not even featured here and 2) It's very useful for what it does, why would you want it to die? Do you hate it? Does it turn your life upside down seeing it still being sold? No, didn't think so...

----------

Maybe the iPod shuffle will be replaced with a cheaper nano along with a new iPod mini.

The Nano is the Mini, it got renamed in 2005.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I wish they would leave the iPod Nano's size and shape alone. IMO they hit the nail on the head with the 5th Gen. Really hated how small the 6th gen was though.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Ah ha! That would be perfect for the new nano.

My wife needs a new one (her's is completely full and the battery is dying) but she does NOT like that little square. She wants a device that is easier to hold and use.

wi-fi for could sync would be great, too -- or better yet, let us buy songs directly from the device.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
maybe shuffle goes to teh touch square size of the now Nano...

the New Nano is like the Mini or older Nanos...

cathom

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
I don't think we should worry too much about the ipod nano's size. it might just be the scale of the picture that is making it look big. what if it is just double the height of the current nano? or maybe you can wear this horizontally?

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Might be a little awkward as a wrist watch, but maybe good as an arm watch :) I don't think this qualifies as "nano" size anymore, I doubt this is true, but it used to be about that size before, so never know.

Maybe they will still offer the current nano and call it iPod Watch or something?

Actually, what would be cool is if they made the current nano a little bit smaller by using the new usb connector along with renaming it to iPod Watch.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
With all the leaks on just about every new Apple product... (and the supposed accuracy thereof)...

I kind of miss the days when things were truly "secret". :(

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland
Ah ha! That would be perfect for the new nano.

My wife needs a new one (her's is completely full and the battery is dying) but she does NOT like that little square. She wants a device that is easier to hold and use.

wi-fi for could sync would be great, too -- or better yet, let us buy songs directly from the device.

Ideally, she needs an inexpensive iPod Touch, I think the Nano is too simple for her!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.