Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pamhutc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Do I have the NVIDIA/logic board problem? Nov 2007 MacBook Pro 2.4?

I am new to this forum so looking for some guidence. We bought a MacBook Pro in November 2007 and incidentally bought apple car plan which has now expired. A couple of weeks ago the Macbook Pro just switched off - it was quite hot. We let it cool down and tried to reboot but the sinning gear just froze. We assumed it was a problem with a fan and took it to an apple registered repair centre, who were unable to boot it saying that the diagnosis was that the logic board had failed.

I was not aware until some recent web searches that there had been a problem with the Macbook Pro's from this period and so we had not had anything on this machine replaced. The reapir centre estimated cost of replacing the logic board was approaching £1000 so we decided it was not worth the cost for this machine and bought a new one.

Having read some recent discussions I am not sure whether we would qualify for any replacement or reduced costs to get the 2007 MacBook Pro back in service given that our plan protection plan has expired. I assume but am not sure if this MacBook Pro had the NVIDIA/logic board in question as it does't detail in our order spec but I do have its serial number so is there any way I could check. Any advice on any of this would be gratefully received :confused:

Pamhutc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues
And to check your specs, go to http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com.

You can check your remaining warranty via the following site and your serial number, though it will probably not offer any conclusive info about your MBP model and the extended warranty with 8600M GT models:

That link was really useful as I entered the serial number and found it definately had the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT Graphics Card. Also under the Apple programs area I clicked and read the 'Distorted vdieo or no video issue' but it was a bit vague and it says nothing about leading to logic board failure which other posts have suggested might happen so not sure how much of a case I have?

Pamhutc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
That link was really useful as I entered the serial number and found it definately had the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT Graphics Card. Also under the Apple programs area I clicked and read the 'Distorted vdieo or no video issue' but it was a bit vague and it says nothing about leading to logic board failure which other posts have suggested might happen so not sure how much of a case I have?

I just tried the apple support for this using the serial number and it says I have no free support left since applecare has expired. Can I phone anywhere to speak to someone to discuss this issue without being charged for a support session?

szarkupacka

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
hi. i live in HUngary and i had the same problem. i take the mbp last week to apple service and they replace the logic board.
i think you need to take the laptop to apple genius bar. and they run a test on computer and if its fails they replace the logicboard.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I just tried the apple support for this using the serial number and it says I have no free support left since applecare has expired. Can I phone anywhere to speak to someone to discuss this issue without being charged for a support session?

Not...really. If you get lucky someone will let you chat about a "hypothetical" situation with your hardware, but I've also been told I'd be charged for the call support. If possible, I'd take it into an Apple store, it sounds likely that it's the same thing as my GF's computer (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377) Couple of caveats, specifically this section:

If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty.

Since you purchased in Nov. 2007 you'd be outside the window, but could get a sympathetic genius...which brings me to point number two, though that was almost certainly the cause of her MBP dying, the logic board was too damaged for them to determine if it was the NVIDIA issue and offered a $400 diagnostic fee. It can't hurt to try though.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
You're outside of the 4 years extended support for the Nvidia issue. Even if the logic board failure is due to the GPU, there is no coverage.

Your only hope to get a repair is to bring it to an Apple store and hope for a friendly and understanding genius. More realistic is that they offer you a flat rate repair, which might or might not be worth it for a 5 years old machine.

Pamhutc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Thanks for suggestions

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions on this. I will go to an Apple Genius Bar and see what they say but realise this is a long shot. Always bought Apple Care on all products so hopefully they maybe sympathetic!

Will post outcome on this soon

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions on this. I will go to an Apple Genius Bar and see what they say but realise this is a long shot. Always bought Apple Care on all products so hopefully they maybe sympathetic!

Will post outcome on this soon

I suspect that repair this will be declined as you are outside the 4 year repair window.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
Does it really depend on the genius bar guy's mood???. I took mine to genius a month ago, and the guy said they had a free repair program/campaign but he could not find it anymore in their internal website. He told me that paying 430€ for replacing the logicboard was not worth... He advised me to call Apple support and try my luck... Although I live in europe, I bought my mbp with 3 years AC on january 2008 in San Antonio/Texas. Does Apple US still offer a free repair?

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I just had my early 2008 15" MBP logic board repaired under the 4-year extension. Admittedly, I did buy mine after the new unibodies were introduced, because I wanted what might have been the last matte screen Apple would ever have--plus I thought I was buying it late enough in the production run that the problem had been dealt with (silly me...)

Here's where to go to find more info:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/MacBookPro_video_failure.html#storytop

The heat-and-cool method that is mentioned does work quite well for many people, if you can't get the MBP to start up. See details thru website above.

As long as you consulted with Apple within the 4 years from your date of purchase, you have grounds to have it fixed.

Having some goofy Apple expert declare they don't know about the program is unacceptable--go somewhere else, or ask to talk to their supervisor.

If you're outside the 4 years, nothing will happen.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
Unfortunately the 4 years ended on january 2012, and my mbp stopped working on april 2012. So I guess I am out... I am pissed off because I never used my AC and the maxed 17" Santa Rosa MBP costed me $3000... I don't understand why should I pay the 430€ knowing NVidia is the culprit!. Shame on you Apple...

pitt1717

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
mine is dying too. i did the bake trick twice and got about 7 or 8 months out of it so far, but lately its getting really bad. i already spoke to the wife about getting the rmbp and shes ok with it.....

now its up to me to pull the trigger

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Sorry to hear that people are outside the extension...I get a whole bunch of Schadenfreude from hearing that Apple has to honor the extension.

In any case, there are stories of the replacement logic board failing as well, something new for me to be nervous about.

Seoulman

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2011
2007 MBP Crud

mine is dying too. i did the bake trick twice and got about 7 or 8 months out of it so far, but lately its getting really bad. i already spoke to the wife about getting the rmbp and shes ok with it.....

now its up to me to pull the trigger

The model that we all have here is "notorious" :mad: for DYING. Apple knew about the faulty Nvidia :D chip and knowingly sold it with our model. Apple failed to recall all those models for obvious reasons and was detailed in a huge class action law suit and one single law suit opened by one brave individual and he won. If you Google Nvidia chip lawsuit against Apple you might find it. Apple did try to make good by offering those repairs and those that fell outside that time frame..well, scram! :rolleyes:

I managed to get a slight discount on my logic board replacement because I came with document on the law suit. I too bought my MBP in 2007 and missed the replacement/repair period by 1.5 weeks. :confused: Then the screen went crazy making snow and sketchy streaks. Then that was replaced and was only charged labor. Now a year later, the logic board is being replaced yet again at the premium price.:eek: WHY!

My question is this, if Apple knows that this model will not take another model of NVIDIA chip/logic board why are they selling the replacement at a premium price + labor? Allegedly, these board are defective to begin with. So in essence you are chucking a defective non-functioning part with another poorly manufactured defective part that will give out.

In those documents, I read that soon Apple will refuse to repair this model in the future for what ever reason. So, then you will be out of luck anyway if you choose to hold on to it and keep repairing it.

I posted something else here regarding the new MBP cons from reviews that I have read on the net and was met with some crasp attitude :eek: by one responder due to some type-O's from typing from my phone and not being able to make accurate corrections to post. But, from what I see as a consumer, it doesn't look pretty from an economical stand point. These new MBP are said to not be upgradable by the consumer as far as RAM replacement, battery replacement, and other parts that are soldered to the system.

I don't plan on pouring more money into my 2007 MBP after this last repair. I'm not into expensive disposable laptops that are not up gradable as I feel the need. I'll just have to work differently this time around and look at other options for the near future. You can spend all night researching this topic, so I wont prolong this. But, you will know sooner or later when to let go of this model and move forward. Good Luck and let me know what options you have stumbled upon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.