Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCPL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I want to get an ipod touch.
my choice are between either the 3rd gen or the 4th gen, however, currently the 4th gen is around 80 pounds more expensive than the 3rd gen, which is around 140 dollars, ish.
What are the benefits of getting the 4G, baring in mind that all i want to do is play games, play music, not that interested in taking photos or watching hd videos? As I am a student I can only save up from my allowances, and an extra 80 pounds is kind of hard for me to save up for....

also, shall I get a 8gb one or 32gb? I want around 100 apps, a few books and 500 songs... I think an 8gb might be stretching it...?:(

I appreciate your advice :) Thanks

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
For me personally, I would wait for the new one -- but if after that, I'd definitely get the 3rd gen before the 4th. Since they both have the same amount of RAM, the 3rd gen runs so much faster and without as much lag as the 4th.

Just remember, if you get the 3rd gen, only get the 32gb or 64gb, as the 3rd gen 8gb is really only a 2nd gen.

jertronic

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2011
Can the latest iPod touch run iOS 8? Thinking of buying my son an iPad mini instead. My wife says I'm being silly.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Can the latest iPod touch run iOS 8? Thinking of buying my son an iPad mini instead. My wife says I'm being silly.

Yes it can, however it's running an A5 chip from 2011, and it's almost 2015 and likely on it's last legs.

I would go for the iPad mini (retina models, 2 or 3) that has the A7, it is significantly faster, and will last much longer. Refurbished and new-on-sale iPad mini 2's aren't too expensive either. Only difference the iPad mini 3 has is a gold color option and touch id. Not worth it to most. Use the savings on the mini 2.

For example:
iphone-6-a8-soc-performance-cpu-gpu1.jpg

The iPod touch 5th generation is based off of iPhone 4s hardware, and the iPad mini (retina) ranks very close to the iPhone 5s here. Big difference and it can be felt.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Does the iPad Mini support the "folding device" technology that the iPhone 6+ has so that I can fold it in three to put it into the pocket that the iPod fits into? :confused:

;)

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Save and get a 5th Gen one.

The iPod touch 3rd/4th gen weren't that great at the time. Now they will feel even slower than before.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Nah the 3rd gen was pretty good. it's basically the last iPod that had similar internals as the phone counterpart (3gs hardware was nice) it Never had the issues that the 4th had pretty much on launch and every subsequent ios update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.