Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

callorchat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
UK
Hi,

I have 2010 iMac base model (ie., i3 with 500gb hard disk). I have lot of media content (images and videos) on the internal hard disk and take a back up to external western digital passport (500gb) drive using usb connection and time machine, which is quite fast for my needs. The internal hard disk is almost full and i am expecting that, due to my future work, i will need to store lot more media (expecting it to be well over 1TB).

So i am looking into different options and have done some research. I am planning to buy a wd external harddrive to connect to my iMac using Firewire 800 (using RAID 1) and buy wd nas drive to store the time machine backups (I have MacbookAir and will use WD nas to back up MBA as well). Is that a good idea. I am worried that the time machine backups to the nas drive would be very slow over wifi from my iMac as i will be storing huge media files on the connected firewire drive.

So i am looking into different options:

1) Connect iMac to router using LAN rather than wifi
2) Buy a nas drive which has got both firewire and ethernet port, so that i can daisy chain the nas drive to external WD drives, so that time machine can backup the files using firewire and MBA will back up the files using wifi. I don't know whether it is possible i.e., connecting nas to both ports (firewire and ethernet) and different system's time machines' use different ports to store backups.

Has anyone have experience with this kind of setup or am i over camplicating things. My budget is around £400 (and can stretch to £500 max, if required). Any advise is greatly appreciated.

callorchat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
UK
Wired GigE if possible is best.

Get a Synology NAS.

You can't use a NAS's USB/FW/eSATA ports on your Mac or PC.

Thanks blueroom for the suggestions. Synology are looking like bit expensive, but definitely will consider them.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.