Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors reader Michael Rou has managed to get his hands on both a pre-production iPhone 5 case and a pre-production iPad mini case and posted comparison photos on Flickr. The cases were created by case manufacturers in anticipation of the upcoming models. Designs are based on leaked specs coming out of Foxconn factories.

The photo does a great job showing the relative sizes of the various devices. The largest case in the back shows the size of the current 3rd Generation iPad. That iPad houses a 9.7" diagonal display. The next smaller size case is for the rumored "iPad mini". The smaller iPad is believed to have a 7.85" screen with a smaller surrounding bezel while retaining the same aspect ratio and resolution (1024x768) of the iPad 2. Rou notes that the iPad mini headphone jack is positioned at the top of the case.

Finally, there is the rumored iPhone 5 case. The iPhone 5 is believed to have 4" diagonal screen. The iPhone 5 is expected to be taller but not wider than the current iPhone 4S which is also pictured above.

Apple is expected to launch the new iPhone on September 12th at a media event. The iPad mini is rumored to come at a later date, possibly in October.

Article Link: iPad, iPad Mini, and iPhone 5 Cases Compared to an iPhone 4S

zinman

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2012
Indy
It looks like the headphone jack is at the top of the mini case. I think it was at the bottom on some mock-ups?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It looks like the headphone jack is at the top of the mini case. I think it was at the bottom on some mock-ups?

Ya. I think it's probably going to be on the top. There was some inconsistencies, but it looks like top is more likely now.

arn

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
With the new Kindles, I question the wisdom of a non-Retina iPad mini. The larger version is Retina quality, and the smaller phone is Retina quality. Why not adopt it across your entire portable line. It would seem to make more sense.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

"on some mockups" is the key phrase here. I remain unconvinced that Apple will try to cram the 3.5mm on the bottom, right next to the speaker grilles. Ironically, I was initially put off by original iPad's 3.5mm headphone jack on top, being used to iPod Touch's on the bottom. IDK, we'll see. Sooner or later, anyways :D

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'm planning to sell my iPad 3 for the iPad Mini. Its the perfect size.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Just for the hell of it, he should put cases for the 13" and 15" MacBooks in back, and for the nano and shuffle in front.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm going out on a limb here, but I think we can expect this trio of Apple products to include backs!

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Yeah, this. If it's launching in October, what are the odds that they are going to announce it Wednesday and just not ship it until October?

this would make sense instead of having 2 fall events.

the iPhone came out 6 months after it was announced. pretty sure the iPad was 2/3 months after announcement. iPad mini 1 month after announcement?

but that might hurt current iPad sales...

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Headphone jacks on the iPads makes sense since they're lap electronics. The iPhone is a pocket and hand electronic hence the jack is on the bottom, where is should have been all along.

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Yeah, this. If it's launching in October, what are the odds that they are going to announce it Wednesday and just not ship it until October?

That would be far too many products in one keynote, that would take way too long, they wouldn't do that. iPhone 5, new iPods, iOS 6, will take at least 2 hours alone.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Seems like Apple only increased the size of the iPhone 4S to make the battery longer. They obviously could've fitted a larger (longer) screen in the same physical dimensions of the 4S, meaning reduce the sizes of the top and bottom bezels.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
"on some mockups" is the key phrase here. I remain unconvinced that Apple will try to cram the 3.5mm on the bottom, right next to the speaker grilles. Ironically, I was initially put off by original iPad's 3.5mm headphone jack on top, being used to iPod Touch's on the bottom. IDK, we'll see. Sooner or later, anyways :D

For a tablet, even a mini one, a bottom jack would be a mistake. Your lap or table goes there!

Now, for a pocket device (iPhone, iPod) a bottom jack is ideal! People who don’t see why just need to hold their device in their hand: which end is closer to your arm? The bottom end of course. Now put the phone in your pocket, and unless you awkwardly re-juggle your grip in the process, the bottom end is still the end closest to your arm—which means it’s facing up, towards the pocket opening. That’s where the ‘phones should plug in if you don’t want strain on the cable.

Plus when holding a pocket-sized device up, who wants extra cable dangling up and out and away from you? Wasted cable length, just to catch on stuff. The cable should come out of the device pointed where it’s going: toward you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.