Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to his disclosure that the updated iPhone and iPod touch are likely to support a panorama photo mode, developer Will Strafach has also posted several Tweets sharing hardware details on the updated iPod touch.

According to Strafach, the updated iPod touch will carry a taller 1136x640 display, the same dimensions said to be coming to the iPhone 5 and in line with leaked photos from May said to show the iPod touch's taller front panel. Strafach also says that the new iPod touch carries an internal code name of N78AP.

tall_ipod_touch_front_panel_front-500x429.jpg

Leaked photo of claimed taller iPod touch front panel
In a separate Tweet, Strafach says that the new iPod touch will use the S5L8942X application processor, which corresponds to the die-shrunk 32-nanometer A5 system-on-a-chip introduced in the revised iPad 2 and third-generation Apple TV earlier this year. The iPhone 5 is expected to carry a more powerful chip.

dual_a9_cores_a5.jpg

Comparison of A5 from iPhone 4S (left) and 41% smaller A5 from Apple TV and revised iPad 2 (right)
Apple has been rumored to be splitting its iPod touch line, perhaps keeping a current A4-based model with 960x640 display at the low end in order to achieve the lowest entry-level pricing possible while bringing the upgraded hardware to higher-end models.

9to5Mac has also posted a few additional details on Apple's iPod plans, noting that the new iPod nano carries a code name of N31 while the updated iPod shuffle appears to be a very minor revision with tweaked code name of N12B.

Article Link: Updated iPod Touch to Carry 1136x640 Display, 32-Nanometer A5 Chip?

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
These rumors are getting good.:D

I need to upgrade the a new 64GB touch. My 4th gen is getting a bit long in the tooth. I want a larger display. I want Siri, and more storage. Yes there is iCloud, but I don't always have WiFi.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The CPU thing doesn't surprise, seeing as how the touch got snubbed for the A5 when the 4S hit.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Day before keynote event = throw **** against the wall and see what sticks.

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Hmm! Could be a slightly cheaper option for testing app development for the new resolution...

Not entirely sure I need to displace my iPhone 4S just for testing!

Will have to see how many other (or not) new goodies the phone gets tomorrow I guess!

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
OMG, here we all thought they were coming out with the iPhone 5, but its really going to be an iPod Touch 5!! :eek:

:D

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The A5X is the same as the A5. Only difference is the A5X has a better GPU to drive the more pixels on the iPad screen.

That's not the only difference. The A5X has a different interconnect scheme to give enough bandwidth to feed the GPU and the massive display on the retina iPad.

ysQcg.jpg

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
curiously why wouldnt the ipod touch users just buy an iphone? apart from kids with ipod touches, i get that. its a bit 2004 to carry a seperate ipod around no?

----------

If this thing has LTE (or even 3G) data, I'll be all over it.

why dont you just get the new iphone?

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
These rumors are getting good.:D

I need to upgrade the a new 64GB touch. My 4th gen is getting a bit long in the tooth. I want a larger display. I want Siri, and more storage. Yes there is iCloud, but I don't always have WiFi.

Is Siri coming to iPod touches??

jacksnowden1993

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
Lancaster, UK
I worry a little about the amount of different models of products Apple is going to have on the market after this most recent lineup update. Apple grew as a company focused on simplifying its lineup, and knowing what the user wants better than the user themselves.

Now the customer has to choose between an iPhone 4, 4s or 5. iPad 2, 3 or mini. iPod touch old or new. Macbook Pro 13''/13''r/15''/15''r.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
If the iPod gets a dual core A5 I am really wondering what the iPhone will get.
I thought the iPhone will get an 32nm A5 clocked at 1Ghz

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I really thought that if they brought out an iPad mini that the touch would serve no purpose and be discontinued. Seems like an awful lot of overlap. It will be interesting to see if they release a new iPad mini and/or iPod touch.

:confused:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I worry a little about the amount of different models of products Apple is going to have on the market after this most recent lineup update. Apple grew as a company focused on simplifying its lineup, and knowing what the user wants better than the user themselves.

Now the customer has to choose between an iPhone 4, 4s or 5. iPad 2, 3 or mini. iPod touch old or new. Macbook Pro 13''/13''r/15''/15''r.

I have a feeling this is all being done to CONSOLIDATE the lineup.

There will be no iPad 2 after the mini comes out. Your iPad line is:

iPad mini (with fewer options)
iPad retina (with it's options)

There will be no regular MBPs after the release of the 13" retina. Your MB line is:

MBA 11" and 13"
MBP Retina 13" and 15"

There will continue to be 3 iPhones on the market at once. You iPhone lineup is:

iPhone 4 (free)
iPhone 4S ($99)
iPhone 5 ($199)

*all beginning pricing*

The iPods are the tricky part. I'd say they go nano and touch. The shuffle will probably be phased out or (my hope/wish) they replace it with the iWatch.

Just my thoughts.

toshmac

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Philadelphia metro
I really thought that if they brought out an iPad mini that the touch would serve no purpose and be discontinued. Seems like an awful lot of overlap. It will be interesting to see if they release a new iPad mini and/or iPod touch.

:confused:

agree with the overlap, but they're still selling like hotcakes

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
curiously why wouldnt the ipod touch users just buy an iphone? apart from kids with ipod touches, i get that. its a bit 2004 to carry a seperate ipod around no?

Oh, I don't know. Maybe the $2000 2-year contract? Maybe?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.