Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Not sure how this is much of a rumor. If all the other iphone5 rumors are true, then of course the iTouch will have the same dimensions.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Maybe we've only been seeing the new iPod Touch in the leaks this whole time and Tim will unveil a completely different iPhone 5????????????

i-want-to-believe.jpg

*Probably not, but it is fun to dream. This is just a joke. Do not quote it to tell me how stupid that I am due to the leaks obviously showing what the iPhone 5 will be. I agree with you. We are friends. Godspeed.

Last edited:

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I'm betting the iPhone 5 gets the same type of CPU: a 32nm version of the A5 (which Apple may be able to run at the full 1GHz speed this time, as the power consumption should be lower). The raw components and core designs needed for a next-generation "A6" SoC are not widely available on the market yet, so Apple can't really make a move to totally new silicon yet. They would need ARM Cortex A15 CPUs and the PowerVR Series 6 GPU design, neither of which have been released.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Hmm...my iPhone 4S display seems better than my 4th Gen iPod touch display.

The current generation iPod touch has the same resolution and the same overall screen dimensions as the iPhone4 and iPhone 4S.

But the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S have displays with true 24-bit colour using superior IPS LCD technology; the current iPod touch has a display with 18-bit colour (using dithering to simulate 24-bits) and apparently uses inferior TN LCD technology.

TN vs IPS tech will result in a narrower viewing angle; 18-bit colour with dithering vs 24-bit colour will result in fewer perfectly reproducible colours.

CitizenKoehn

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
I worry a little about the amount of different models of products Apple is going to have on the market after this most recent lineup update. Apple grew as a company focused on simplifying its lineup, and knowing what the user wants better than the user themselves.

Now the customer has to choose between an iPhone 4, 4s or 5. iPad 2, 3 or mini. iPod touch old or new. Macbook Pro 13''/13''r/15''/15''r.

Seriously! I noticed the same thing this past summer with the new notebooks. You go the Apple Store website, and there are too many choices! Not that I know anything at all about Steve Jobs and his vision, but it does seem that things are changing around Apple.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
You're much worried about bragging that you own the latest gadget to others than using it?

Isn't that the reason why people are crying that the iPhone 5 is still square like the 4 and 4S?

----------

I'm betting the iPhone 5 gets the same type of CPU: a 32nm version of the A5 (which Apple may be able to run at the full 1GHz speed this time, as the power consumption should be lower). The raw components and core designs needed for a next-generation "A6" SoC are not widely available on the market yet, so Apple can't really make a move to totally new silicon yet. They would need ARM Cortex A15 CPUs and the PowerVR Series 6 GPU design, neither of which have been released.

They could have quad cortex A9 and powerVR 5 series and it's still an A6

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Maybe we've only been seeing the new iPod Touch in the leaks this whole time and Tim will unveil a completely different iPhone 5????????????

*Probably not, but it is fun to dream. This is just a joke. Do not quote it to tell me how stupid that I am due to the leaks obviously showing what the iPhone 5 will be. I agree with you. We are friends. Godspeed.

Perhaps this whole "splitting" of the iPod touch lines is really just a ruse. The larger "iPod touch" IS the iPhone 5 :eek:

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
curiously why wouldnt the ipod touch users just buy an iphone? apart from kids with ipod touches, i get that. its a bit 2004 to carry a seperate ipod around no?

iPod touch = $299
iPhone 3Gs = $375
iPhone 4 = $549
iPhone 4s = $649

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Don't care about 3G/LTE, to be honest. Don't much care about the screen or processor either, TBH.

Do care about upgrading the **** camera the thing comes with, and do care about adding GPS, and definitely do care about increasing capacity.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816

i-want-to-believe.jpg

I still don't think it's an impossibility. "Double down, I mean it". So it means he's taking action in some way. None of them were recalled, and they could be mockups. But either way, I'm still sure we'll see the same iPhone tomorrow that we saw those months ago.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
It seems I'm the only one, but I believe Apple will make use of the extra 176x640 pixels for a new system wide UI addition (live widgets in a banner at the top?).

That's why it makes sense that Apple would also upgrade the iPod touch screen so it can also have this new feature.

Apple had a problem with the existing iPhone screen size in that a lot of apps do not have a vertically flexible layout, so they couldn't add any system wide UI without risking breaking a lot of existing apps. The multitasking tray does cut the top of apps when it's open, but I guess it's ok since you're not supposed to use the app while the tray is open.

Because of that, Apple could not add a live info banner/widgets that stays at the top of the screen while the app is still fully visible and usable.

The new resolution totally fixes that problem, as Apple can easily assume that all apps will still be able to run without modification at 960x640 while the 176x640 UI banner is visible.

The system wide banner could also fix another problem, which is that ALL existing apps will be letter-boxed on the iPhone 5 / new iPod touch until they are updated and resubmitted as "iPhone 5 compatible" (Apple has no way of knowing which ones would work at 1136x640 until then).

Having the new widget banner visible by default would remove those silly black bars (unless you hide it).

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I think the net iPhone will have an A6 in it, we have had a leak or rumour suggesting this already.
The PowerVR has been released for licensing:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5364/powervr-series-6-rogue-gpus-released-to-licensing

And I think Arms A15 are ready now. With the next gen Snapdragon S4 already in use in all variants including it's Pro quad core version with next gen Mali GPU, it would be a great time for Apple to introduce an A6 SOC.
We will know tomorrow either way though.

mnemonix

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
$299 vs $649

If it comes with 3G/4G that price differential will disappear. I don't get why those wanting this don't understand that they're simply asking for an unlocked/no contract iPhone not an iPod!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I hope they release a new taller iPod at $199, that way I can test my apps without having to buy an off contract iPhone for $600...Although if I sell my 4S for around $400 it will be a wash anyways.

I just really don't want to extend my AT&T contract any further.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Well it's about time! The iPod touch was becoming the forgotten step-child of Apple's lineup.

I only hope it FINALLY gets a camera worthy of a mobile device. Cause it's current camera is pathetic. There is just no reason to intentionally cripple it any longer. Seriously. Give it at least as good a camera as the iPhone 4. Or the 4S if the iPhone 5 gets a better camera.

For me the iPod touch is a viable alternative to an off contract iPhone. For one, it's less expensive. $199 vs $699 or higher. I travel a lot, and use VOIP apps via wifi to make & recieve calls. Adding 3G or 4G would be sweet, but I won't hold my breath. I already use my 3G iPad to make calls, but it's not as convenient while walking around.

Many overseas countries have wifi coverage everywhere, and back home in the states in cities like NY there are many free wifi hotspots... So making free calls is very easy.

I am just done being held prisoner by the greedy telecom companies and being locked into expensive contracts. So far my iPod, off contract iPhone & iPad are perfect alternatives. There are so many free apps to make and receive free calls with.

Anyway...I am excited about this news. Been waiting for a "real" iPod touch update for a loooong time. Last years update was bogus.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Don't care about 3G/LTE, to be honest. Don't much care about the screen or processor either, TBH.

Do care about upgrading the **** camera the thing comes with, and do care about adding GPS, and definitely do care about increasing capacity.

Verizon people care about LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.