Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_store_app_icon.jpg

Apple's policies for pre-orders of its popular iOS devices have varied over the years, with the iPhone 4S being scheduled for a 12:01 AM Pacific Time launch on the Friday following the media event, although Apple's pre-orders didn't actually begin until nearly 45 minutes after the appointed time.

Last month, iMore reported that pre-orders were scheduled to begin on the same day as the media event, with availability set for nine days later. An exact timeframe for the pre-order launch was not given in the report, but a same-day window likely pointed toward pre-orders going live soon after the event as the Apple online store comes back online.

MacRumors is now hearing that pre-orders may not begin tomorrow following the media event and that they may instead start on Friday morning in a scenario similar to last year's debut. We're hearing that certain portions of Apple's online sales support team are significantly increasing their staffing levels beginning at 6:00 AM Eastern on Friday, with a major surge for the initial shift beginning at that time and a sustained level of high staffing for at least the remainder of the day.

It is unclear whether pre-orders would begin immediately at the 6:00 AM shift start or some time shortly afterward, but these staffing levels suggest that customers may have to wait until the end of this week to pre-order their new iPhones for delivery a week later.

Article Link: Apple Staffing Up for iPhone 5 Pre-orders Beginning on Morning of Friday, September 14?

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Do I pre-order or do I wait and see who will offer a decent trade-in? Amazon is buying them at around $250.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Hope the lines are not filled with scalpers and their dominions shipping back to thier home countries.
I think the best way is credit card-pre-orders and pick up at store. No walk-ins period.
That will stop scalping.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
As long as their servers hold up enough for me to order, it doesn't matter when they do it :)

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Do I pre-order or do I wait and see who will offer a decent trade-in? Amazon is buying them at around $250.

Pre-order and sell your previous phone on eBay, with the end auction date on the same day you pick up your new phone. It's the best way to do it, and you'll get more for your old phone. Trade-in programs are a ripoff.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Hope the lines are not filled with china-men and their dominions shipping back to China.
I think the best way is credit card-pre-orders and pick up at store. No walk-ins period.
That will stop scalping.

Online pre-orders already do a great job of stopping the hoarding and scalping.

No matter what they do, it will always be an issue. Their goal is to minimize it enough so that general customers don't feel as wronged. I think the online pre-order system is designed to do just that.

Did anyone that pre-ordered a 4s on day 1 last year not get one?

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Pre-order and sell your previous phone on eBay, with the end auction date on the same day you pick up your new phone. It's the best way to do it, and you'll get more for your old phone. Trade-in programs are a ripoff.

I'm thinking of doing that but the home button is a bit wonky on mine. It double presses even though I single press it. And sometimes it takes two presses to get it to work. I'm not sure I want to pass that along.

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
I hope so, I don't want to be in a rush to preorder straight after the event when we haven't absorbed all the information.

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
This is bad news.

Hopefully they do open up orders right after the keynote.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Apple likes crowds, headlines & control.

They're going to milk this for all its worth.

People always say the above as if it is a bad thing. If you were running a company and launching new products, you would probably want as much fanfare and buzz as possible to drive sales.

Apple is in business to make money. So far their launch strategies have worked out pretty well for them, I'd say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.