Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng

Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:32 PM   #1
samdev
macrumors regular

Estimated App Store size?

Whenever I archive an app, I notice that XCode Organizer always reports my app being
10 MB more than what I see in Finder. After the app is release on iTunes, it's always the lesser amount.

I don't understand why Organizer always add 10 MB more. It's not a very good estimate.
It's 100% wrong in my experience. Makes me nervous the first couple of times, but now I just ignore it.
samdev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Greencardman
macrumors 6502

Yeah, its something to do with Apple compressing files later for the Store but I've never figured it out either.
Greencardman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:00 PM   #3
firewood
macrumors 603

The App store server encrypts your app's executable code before re-zipping it into a new ipa file. Encrypted code cannot be compressed very much, if at all. So the app ends up bigger.

Thus, to estimate your app's download size, you need to look at the zip statistics after compressing your ipa, see how much it compressed your app's executable, and add that amount back in. It seems that the organizer uses a very conservative estimate at how much to add back.

Try unzip -lv on you ipa file from the command-line to see the compression stats.
firewood is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng

Tags
estimated app store size