Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac shares some new details about Apple's updates planned for today, outlining some of the marketing terms the company appears to be using for aspects of its new devices. Among the details:

First, Apple is said to have been referring to its new dock connector as "Lightning" internally, and that branding is now said to be the public name for the feature as well. The term is suggestive of speed, and it seems possible that the cables may allow for faster data transfer than existing hardware. Apple is also said to be introducing several variations of the adapter for using new devices with cables and accessories bearing the old dock connector standard, including a direct clip-on adapter and one with a short cable.

newheadphones2.jpg

The second item relates to new headphones that appeared earlier this month in a leaked video, and today's report indicates that they will carry an "Earpod" name. On a standalone basis, they will be available at the same $29 price seen on the current headphones.

Finally, Apple is said to be launching a new "Loop" accessory for the iPod touch. While the function of the accessory appears to be unknown, it will retail for approximately $10 and be available in several difference color combinations.

The report also reiterates claims that Apple will be keeping its existing iPod touch available as a low-end model, but notes that the capacity will rise to 16 GB. And as for the iPod shuffle, which will maintain its current 2 GB capacity, the eight color options have now been identified: pink, yellow, blue, green, purple, silver, slate, and red.

Article Link: Apple's New iOS Device Marketing: 'Lightning' Dock Connector, 'Earpod' Headphones, 'Loop' Accessory

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Is it possible? Just maybe, just maybe, the earphones included with a new iPhone won't suck?

Kyrra

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
Lightning, really. It was my understanding that apple dislikes the name thunderbolt as it was named by Intel. I would be surprised to see apple embrace the name that much. Lightning does nothing to explain what the port is, I am betting this is wrong.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hopefully "Lightning" will support USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt speeds. That would be a great reason for Apple not to have used Micro-USB (which in its industry standard design is limited to USB 2.0 speeds since it lacks the extra pins needed for USB 3.0). iCloud or not, I'd still rather use a physical connection to load 10GB of music and movies.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
It would be cool if they sell a Lighting to Thunderbolt cable. Although I can't remember the last time I actually sync'd my phone to my computer.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Is there any chance we will see a redesigned iTunes to go with the new devices? The current version is very clunky, particularly on Windows, and in particular for loading files onto the iPad.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I don't care what they look like or what they are called, as long as they stay in my ears better than the current Apple headphones.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I wouldn't doubt that the new connecter is USB 3.0 and thunderbolt compatiable.

THAT is the one feature that would make me want to upgrade. It takes for freaking ever to synch my iPad and iPhone.

Hopefully the camera connector kit will get an upgrade too. It would be great if I could dump pics from my SD card to iPad as quickly as they'll transfer off my Mac Mini's SD card slot.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
First, Apple is said to have been referring to its new dock connector as "Lightning" internally, and that branding is now said to be the public name for the feature as well. The term is suggestive of speed, and it seems possible that the cables may allow for faster data transfer than existing hardware.
Hmm, I wonder how can it be faster if the data is still sent over USB 2.0...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.