Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late last month, a photo surfaced showing what was claimed to be the iPhone 5 logic board with an A6 chip prominently displayed. There were some questions about the validity of the photo, but now a new pair of photos posted by HDblog.it [Google translation] show in greater detail not only the A6 chip but also other chips included on the logic board.

Click for larger
Beyond the A6, the new photos also show that the Qualcomm chip located opposite the nano-SIM tray from the A6 is indeed the MDM9615M modem, which has long been rumored as the chip to supply LTE compatibility for the iPhone 5. As noted in our forums, Apple's leaky search engine has also just revealed that the company will be posting a page addressing the new iPhone's LTE capabilities.

iphoneLTE.png

The other side of the logic board reveals flash memory from Hynix, as well as several other chips from the likes of Murata, Skyworks, and Avago supporting such functions as Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, power amplification, gyroscope/accelerometer, and more. Apple has been rumored to be cutting back on Samsung memory orders, but the presence of Hynix memory is not explicit proof of such a move given that Apple has long sourced memory from multiple suppliers as seen in teardowns showing memory from Samsung, Toshiba and others at various times.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Logic Board Shows A6 Chip, Qualcomm MDM9615M LTE Modem, Hynix Flash

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
So wait, for the first time, the iPhone will wind up being more powerful than the iPad the same year they're released?

Renewing the iPad line in March makes absolutely no sense at all.

I miss Steve.

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
UK
I think it will be A6 just so they can claim it is new. I don't think it will be quad core, it will just be a higher clocked dual core A5 on the 32nm process with an improved GPU.

My theory is they cant say it uses the A5 because then everyone will claim it's the same as 4S. But they cant use 5X because that would be overpowered on the GPU front, hence it will be named A6.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Cool... The 6th iPhone, running iOS 6, with an A6 CPU. The "5" name makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

You're stretching. The first Apple-branded chip was the A4 (single), then the A5 (dual), then the A5X (dual + quad graphics), now the A6 (quad?), so the "6" isn't indicative of a 6th generation.

/writtenbyaformeriPhone6supporter.

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Leaky

Tim Cook - get control over your supply chain. The amount and quality of the leaks is just unfuc**** real

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.