Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
i knew it was coming, maybe thats why i couldn't get hyped up for it. or maybe it's because its not that impressive. i'll just stick with my 4. i should be able to do everything i want it to do with a jailbreak.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Ugh! I guess if we want to be genuinely surprised during future keynotes we'll have to stay off the rumor blogs. Nothing about today's unveiling taught me anything I didn't know already. I'm not complaining about the product itself, but I would have liked to been wowed even if just a little bit as with previous presentations.

That new black model looks amazing.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
I'm holding out for the Samsung SIIII 4.567" LTE MAXX 4G Plus with Jelly Sandwich

I heard that will be the real iPhone killer

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I can finally get the S3...

and i'll have to wait for the next Nexus a lil while longer :(

Yeah, they could only manage
thinner & lighter
more battery
faster smaller far more powerful CPU/GPU
larger screen
better screen using less layers
better camera
their own mapping solution
worldwide LTE and faster wifi
and the list goes on

what a bunch of lazy cnuts Apple are...

maybe not hardware wise but software wise VERY lazy, what's the point of all those specs improvements when the software isnt anything special to support it. and btw this is exactly the argument everyone used to have against all those "android spec hungry nerds"

a extra row of icons, seriously? no weather or short notifications display on top. NOTHIN at all, which lets the iPhone 5 stand out more on the software aspect.

blumpkin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
TAKE MY WALLET

studio_shot_of_man_with_money_flying_out_of_his_bld023584.jpg

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
So, Apple's talk of the A6 is vague, but Brian Klug from anandtech thinks it's a dual core A15 chip.

For apple to advertise 2x CPU power they'd either have to go quad core A9 or seriously boost the core speed on a dual core A9. The latter wouldn't be good for battery life even on a 32nm process and the former seems unlikely given the fact that apple likely would have mentioned it, and it would be hard for the A6 to be 22% smaller than the A5 and have 2X CPU and 2X GPU power, even on 32nm.

For the GPU, it's less clear. It could be a 543MP4 like the 5X, or there's a slim chance it could be ImgTec's new powerVR 6 "rogue" cores.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
And Apple continues to trample the competition.

It's a wonderful update filled with the type of tech needed for its application.

I'll be grabbing mine as I absolutely loathe this Razr Maxx I have now. Not because the phone is horrible but because Android OS is the most irritating, clunky OS I've ever used - aside from BB's.

It does NOT even come close to iOS and anyone who says different is A. a troll looking for attention or B. a nerd who MUST "root" their phones so they can get that "uber", "epic" wallpaper they MUST have on their phone.

While these kids spend their time fiddling around with settings and directories I'll be running my life and taking care of real business via iOS.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
The jailbreak community should be able to do great things with this taller screen..... Apple gave us an extra row of icons lol

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
This is sad... It is probably a great phone - but I was hoping for so much more.

Remember how long it took Android devices to catch up to the iPhone 4 display? It wasn't until after the 4S that they matched it. Now every single android phone competitor (not the cheap/free ones) has a 720p display - or better. Are we stuck with this resolution/pixel density now? Apple's idiotic idea that you can only double (or quadruple) the pixel dimensions have really put them in a tough spot.

I will most likely upgrade to iPhone 5 (from my iPhone 4) before X-mas, but I was really hoping for something better. Apple innovation was really at its peak with the iPhone 4. Everything since has just been spec-bumps. Small refinements.

And can iOS 6 *PLEASE* be the last iteration of the current "rows of icons" UI? It was tiring to see before, and a whole new row of them just looks... not better.

I guess you litigate or you innovate. And Sadly Apple is heading down the former path.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Nice incremental upgrade but me needs some instant gratification. C'mon Apple, give me something to download today...

Yeah, thought this was odd, there's usually something new to download and "available today." I mean, I can wait and all, just agreeing with the observation.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
Finally Rumours are over..... For Now

1. doubling down aint working Mr. TIM:mad:
2. Cant Wait to see the queues for this device:rolleyes:
3. I'll wait till i get a feel in my hand before i make my judgement :D

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
well this is ******. Upgrade is Oct 7 to get the $199 price but then my ****in plan goes up from 67 per month to 90 per month. Only way to keep my plan the way it is would be to pay 649 for this damn phone. Longer term it is way cheaper but idk, maybe just stick with my iphone 4. Vz and att both suck

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Yeah, they could only manage
thinner & lighter
more battery
faster smaller far more powerful CPU/GPU
larger screen
better screen using less layers
better camera
their own mapping solution
worldwide LTE and faster wifi
and the list goes on

what a bunch of lazy cnuts Apple are...

Don't get me wrong, it's a good phone but your list is a list of spec bumps.

- All smartphones have LTE nowadays
- Screen size was bound to be bumped up
- Maps are not a hardware feature. It was already previewed at WWDC
- Camera remains to be seen whether it'll be better. They said it was 2 f stops better but then showed pics taken in crisp light conditions which showed nothing. I want to try it out before I comment.
- Spec bump CPU/GPU and battery

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Boooooom. And all the poster who said apple WON'T release a 4" screen iPhone. Booom you just ate dirt. Lol. I have to see one in person to say it I like it or not

I think everyone who used to say Apple wouldn't release a 4" phone (and those who said they would) made the unexpressed assumption that they were talking about a 4:3 aspect ratio. iPhone very much does not have such a 4" 4:3 monstrosity.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
I'm holding out for the Samsung SIIII 4.567" LTE MAXX 4G Plus with Jelly Sandwich

I heard that will be the real iPhone killer

Knock yourself out. In 3 months you'll be selling it to a friend and trading up for the iPhone 5. But I love experiments... so keep me posted.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Um, OK, I'll check back later when the inevitable flood of "MOAR!"-spirited posts eases down...

Moar1.jpg

69e26b26_MOAR.jpeg

130199506892.jpg

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I think most of the disappointment including my own is because the rumors were true this time and almost all of them. It's like going to see the Usual Suspects for the first time knowing who Keyser Soze is. It's still a good movie to watch, but it's not as mind blowing.

At least you know Keyser Soze would never wear a protective case!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.