Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blouis79

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
The loop look great. So when will they put that on the iPhone?

iPhone nano looking closer......

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
really wish gps could be put into either the touch or nano. i want to use nike+ when i run, but love having the actual gps map track me, not me having to look up my run everytime to make sure the stats are correct. the pedometer is acurate for a couple miles or so, anything longer and it needs calibrating if you want to use it a running log. and i'm tired of running with my iphone, it's too big.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
KMXub.jpg

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Reminds me of when apple used to put colors in their computers like the Clamshell iBook and the iMac G3's. I don't care if they look like children's toys, seeing these made me happy .

Hell, I'd love if they started making their computers in colors again! It wouldn't be difficult.

million7

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2011
Florida
they came out with the white over the colors probably because if they did it in black it would look identical to the Lumia.:confused:

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
That's precisely how I see the fifth generation Touch. While I have an iPad which I adore, the Touch is more convenient while shopping, walking, etc. Can't wait to get my order in.

Don't like the bright colors? The black and white versions are quite sophisticated.

I take your point but without a 128GB option the new iPod Touch is simply no use to me. I might as well just keep my Classic for another year. I genuinely don't think Apple knows what they are doing with the iPod anymore. Why not simply design it so that it follows the iPad design with black/white front and brushed aluminium back. That would look so much more stylish.

I just don't get why they need a colour iPod Nano and colour iPod Touch? It just seems like overlap to me. Why not give the Nano more GB options and sell that as the fun colour option with the Touch as the more grown up device. I already have an iPhone but I like to put mostly apps on it. I use my iPod mostly at home for music listening. I really am very disappointed by today's announcements.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Ah, I stand completely corrected. Then it's like the 4th gen iPod Touch.

The camera ring on the iPod Touch 4th gen is flush. Maybe the protrusion in the photo is actually the loop ring at a different perspective? Who knows - interested to see a video of this thing

EDIT: It seems to protrude slightly, not as much as the loop button

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-GhnOgfzuw

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Not sure what the hell Apple is doing with the iPod Nano these days, but by golly is that new iPod Touch killer.

Meh, the iPod Touch really could use built-in GPS. Not that impressed especially considering the price which went up to accommodate all the complaints here for FoxCon workers...

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I would have rather had the current nano with wifi and bluetooth instead of the new iPod mini throwback nano. I'm not crazy about the white front casing either.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
thats a pretty weak argument. If you took a Kindle Fire and reshaped it it'd look like an iPad...does that mean their design was taken from the iPad? No.

Heck even Apple in the past has reshaped competing phones to look more like theirs and presented it to Court.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Because that is exactly what they were going for. The iPod line keeps getting less attention and colors believe it or not make kids buy more portables, just look at the nintendo portables. People love the purple ninty ones and even re-buy for colors. The iPod line is for kids and young adults, there is no denying it and by choosing these colors apple has decided to go full force on that age range. They are actually going to get more sales from the redesigns not kill it except the lumia nano :D. PS: Most grownups get an iPhone not an iPod Touch ;)

I can understand that - maybe I'm one of the few people who use an iPhone and an iPod. I just think they are going after the wrong demographic. I don't see any kids walking round with iPods these days. They've all got smartphones now. The new Touch is priced at £249 and £329. You can buy a decent smartphone on PAYG for that (with a cheap SD card you even get the 64GB). Why buy the Touch instead? Makes no sense. Just coz it's coloured? I don't think so. All the kids like to personalise their phones with cases now anyway. No I'm sorry but this is a disaster. The iPod will just continue to lose sales over the next year.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Great a 4th gen nano with the annoyance of touch screen, no capacity updates.

This is a design I would have expected when the ipod touch came out, not now.

Looks like the classic is the only player that is really designed for music fans.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
thats a pretty weak argument. If you took a Kindle Fire and reshaped it it'd look like an iPad...does that mean their design was taken from the iPad? No.

The point is that the iPod is clearly just an evolution of previous models. In fact, look just at the top part and it might as well be the previous model. These design elements were obviously not copied from Nokia since the Lumia only adopted them after Apple had already used them first (right?).

nano.png

lumia.png

nano.png

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
White with aloo-minium back. This is what I've been waiting for. Good feature set and with my mifi device and Skype for phone who needs an iPhone ? Be nice if it had a better camera, but 5 MP will have to do.
I will be ordering on Friday. :)

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
The new iPod Touch now looks like a kids toy rather than a serious MP3 player which just sucks. The Nano was supposed to be for the kids while the grownups get a Touch. Why no 128GB version? That really sucks! Means I have to keep using my Classic for yet another year.

Why did they change the Nano format? That sucks! I was hoping they make it more like a watch not redesign to how it was before. Why the hell have the Touch and Nano both looking like kids toys - that's just overlap.

This is the worst ever iPod lineup. Are they trying to kill the iPod or something?

I just don't understand their logic. Kids today don't want an iPod - they want a cheap smartphone so they can txt their friends or check on Facebook or whatever. The iPod Touch should be for adults who like music, who maybe have another phone or don't want a smartphone, or people like me who like to put all my music on one device so I can sit and listen to it at home.

Yeah how dare Apple think of the general consumer instead of just you? The nerve of some multi billion dollar companies...

kdarling

macrumors P6
whats with the nano UI? why didn't they just the same icons from iOS?

Apple already got a jury to validate that colorful rounded-off icons are part of protectable trade dress.

Perhaps now they're going after circles as well.

--

Pretty soon Apple will own all the rounded shapes. No wonder Microsoft is using squares and rectangles. It's the only safe geometric outline left.

*tongue only halfway in cheek*

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Wow, that UI on the iPod nano looks rather tacky. I guess it would be alright if it was designed with children in mind.

As a developer, I'm disappointed the iPod touch STILL doesn't have a proper GPS chip. If you look on the spec sheet, you'll see it still uses wi-fi for location detection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.