Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stormj

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
California
OMG It's the geek police, quick run or they'll arrest you for downloading a free bit of software a week early!!:eek::eek:

If Apple gave even the slightest spec of a **** about people getting the GM early, they would at least require the developer ID check they do on the betas.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Its the exact same file (generally). It's free in a week. Whats the harm to you? Or anyone?

I'd argue that anyone who doesn't have the the basic skills to google where to find these things probably isn't going to be able to figure out how to install it. Or worst case screw things up and brick the device.

DanR16

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
If Apple gave even the slightest spec of a **** about people getting the GM early, they would at least require the developer ID check they do on the betas.

Believe it or not, I was being sarcastic, geek police aren't really coming!

eklof

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
do I need to restore and download or just hit update?

when you have the ipsw file, just cmd-klick on the update button i iTunes, and choose the file, then wait 10-15 minutes while it updates. You will not loose any data, although, it's nice to have a recent iCloud backup available.

LEgregius

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Virginia
I think it's pretty ridiculous that they support iPhone 3GS, but not the original iPad. They were still selling the original iPad about a year and a half ago. They still have original iPads that under warranty.

I guess when you buy an Apple product now, you can expect to be dumped from software support before your device is even old?

bevo

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2002
I think it's pretty ridiculous that they support iPhone 3GS, but not the original iPad. They were still selling the original iPad about a year and a half ago. They still have original iPads that under warranty.

I guess when you buy an Apple product now, you can expect to be dumped from software support before your device is even old?

I concur. My ipad 1 is 2 years old, I would have expect at least 2 iOS updates at the minimum.

Now, I have a 64gb iPad that is no longer supported. Spent a lot of money, would be nice to get the same support the 3gs gets. .

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise

Could be worse, many if not most android devices get ONE major software version over it's entire life. The original iPad got 3 - 3.x, 4.x and 5.x. That is pretty darn good.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011

How can you acknowledge Apple's support for the iPhone 3GS,
yet claim they don't support old devices in the same post?
Rather than being disappointed that they don't support both, you should be impressed that they support one.
If these were Android devices we would be lucky to get updates for the iPhone 4S.

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
Is the 3GS usable with iOS 6?

Yup just like the original iPad even though its two years old. While the 3Gs is 3 years old.

----------

How can you acknowledge Apple's support for the iPhone 3GS,
yet claim they don't support old devices in the same post?
Rather than being disappointed that they don't support both, you should be impressed that they support one.
If these were Android devices we would be lucky to get updates for the iPhone 4S.

It's not an android device, so stop comparing it to one.

LEgregius

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Virginia
Could be worse, many if not most android devices get ONE major software version over it's entire life. The original iPad got 3 - 3.x, 4.x and 5.x. That is pretty darn good.

I don't really agree. A phone gets pretty beat up in 2 years. An iPad is likely to last much longer, plus it's more expensive. I'm really more concerned with the passage of time than the number of updates. At this rate, in a year it will be completely obsolete and with almost no updated app support.

What this really means, is that Apple expects us to upgrade our hardware, even expensive hardware, very frequently. It is also statement about how poor the hardware is that they put in the original.

naveah

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Atlanta
Anyone who's successfully downloaded it, could you please let us know how they've finally decided to handle the public transit directions issue? In other words, what apps show up. HopStop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.