Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Does anyone have experience using one of the eBay auctions for unlocking an iPhone? My AT&T iPhone 4S is still under contract so I'm not able to unlock through them. The way I understand it you're essentially paying for someone to add your IMEI to a "white list" allowing it to be unlocked... As I understand these are maybe AT&T employees looking to make a little $$ on the side?

Does it actually work? Is there a chance of it being un-unlocked? I'm planning to sell on eBay as "unlocked"...

Anyone use one of these services successfully? Other than that I might try calling AT&T (I submitted the unlock request via their website and was declined) and seeing if I can talk a rep into doing it.

Thanks

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
I've unlocked 4-5 iPhones this way including 2 4S iPhones that are curently under contract. Check out a seller named "unlock_fusion". Good price, quick service, and no problems so far.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
I've unlocked 4-5 iPhones this way including 2 4S iPhones that are curently under contract. Check out a seller named "unlock_fusion". Good price, quick service, and no problems so far.

Thanks I'll check it out... I guess it would be incorrect to label a phone unlocked this way as "factory unlocked" on eBay right? How would I label it to be honest but still make money? Just plain "unlocked" ? Is there a risk that the buyer will end up having it un-unlocked down the road?

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Ended up using that seller you recommended. I will post back here about the experience. Another quick question if you're still around: The instructions for unlocking on that seller's website (where you enter the IMEI) lists three different "methods" for unlocking after they process your info. Which method did you use and was it successful the first try? I don't have a non-AT&T SIM card, so I'm hoping I don't need one to process the unlock (two of the methods appear to require one).

Also trying to decide what to list my 64GB Black 4S for on eBay once it's unlocked. It has AppleCare+ that doesn't expire until Oct 2013 and is in VF+ to NM condition... Was thinking $400 reserve and $575 or $600 buy-it-now. Is that too high/low? Thanks!!

sd13

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I used unlock fusion seller and my phone got unlocked in about 48 hours. I didn't even need to restore mine!

tys

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Unlocked :) .........Relocked :-(

I just got my in-contract 4S unlocked with Unlock Fusion on eBay. (after AT&T rejected my official request) Took less than 24 hours! I'm jailbroken, so instead of doing a restore, I de-activated the phone with the SAM utility from Cydia. When I plugged into iTunes, I got the "congratulations you're unlocked" message and everything else was just the way I'd had if before.
I'll be using my iPhone in Japan next month with a B-mobile "visitor" SIM! It will be worth it's weight in gold for navigation alone. The public transport feature of the maps app works flawlessly over there (at least in ios 5)

EDIT: well, about 14 hours after getting my "guaranteed to never get relocked" unlock from Unlock Fusion, my 4S is relocked :-(
Originally showed up as unlocked using iphoneox.com IMEI checker, now showing locked again. I got a prompt reply from Unlock Fusion saying that due to AT&T updating their database for the iPhone 5, some unlocks didn't get processed properly and promised to get back to me in the next 24 hours. I'll report back!
Anyone else have an iPhone get relocked after using one of these services?
Worst case, I'm only out $10, but I was really looking forward to using my 4S on my upcoming trip.

EDIT 2: True to their word, Unlock Fusion got me re-unlocked last night! I'm concerned a bit that it may get locked again, but hopefully it was just a one time glitch.

Last edited:

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
Does anyone have experience using one of the eBay auctions for unlocking an iPhone? My AT&T iPhone 4S is still under contract so I'm not able to unlock through them. The way I understand it you're essentially paying for someone to add your IMEI to a "white list" allowing it to be unlocked... As I understand these are maybe AT&T employees looking to make a little $$ on the side?

Give AT&T a try anyways. I bought my iPhone 4s in 11/2011 and they unlocked it for me last week.

Edit: I should have read, you already got it unlocked by someone on EBay. But for anybody else, try the form on ATT.com, give them a week and see if they'll unlock your phone for you. It's worth a try and I got my 10 month old, under contract, iPhone 4s unlocked that way.

tys

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Thanks I'll check it out... I guess it would be incorrect to label a phone unlocked this way as "factory unlocked" on eBay right? How would I label it to be honest but still make money? Just plain "unlocked" ? Is there a risk that the buyer will end up having it un-unlocked down the road?

I'm pretty sure the process is identical to having the carrier unlock it. It is supposed to be update-proof, unlike the other jailbreak-based methods, so I'd call it Factory Unlocked. Or maybe "IMEI Unlocked"?

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Ended up using that seller you recommended. I will post back here about the experience. Another quick question if you're still around: The instructions for unlocking on that seller's website (where you enter the IMEI) lists three different "methods" for unlocking after they process your info. Which method did you use and was it successful the first try? I don't have a non-AT&T SIM card, so I'm hoping I don't need one to process the unlock (two of the methods appear to require one).

Also trying to decide what to list my 64GB Black 4S for on eBay once it's unlocked. It has AppleCare+ that doesn't expire until Oct 2013 and is in VF+ to NM condition... Was thinking $400 reserve and $575 or $600 buy-it-now. Is that too high/low? Thanks!!

How did it work out for you? I just purchased an unlock from them today.

----------

I just got my in-contract 4S unlocked with Unlock Fusion on eBay. (after AT&T rejected my official request) Took less than 24 hours! I'm jailbroken, so instead of doing a restore, I de-activated the phone with the SAM utility from Cydia. When I plugged into iTunes, I got the "congratulations you're unlocked" message and everything else was just the way I'd had if before.
I'll be using my iPhone in Japan next month with a B-mobile "visitor" SIM! It will be worth it's weight in gold for navigation alone. The public transport feature of the maps app works flawlessly over there (at least in ios 5)

EDIT: well, about 14 hours after getting my "guaranteed to never get relocked" unlock from Unlock Fusion, my 4S is relocked :-(
Originally showed up as unlocked using iphoneox.com IMEI checker, now showing locked again. I got a prompt reply from Unlock Fusion saying that due to AT&T updating their database for the iPhone 5, some unlocks didn't get processed properly and promised to get back to me in the next 24 hours. I'll report back!
Anyone else have an iPhone get relocked after using one of these services?
Worst case, I'm only out $10, but I was really looking forward to using my 4S on my upcoming trip.

Did they reach back out to you yet? I would like to know how this worked out for you.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
How did it work out for you? I just purchased an unlock from them today.

Worked out absolutely awesome! Within a couple hours of submitting my IMEIs on their website, I received e-mail confirmation that my phones had been unlocked. Hooked up to my computer, did a full restore (NOT restore from backup - tried that first and didn't get the unlock message) and after that, got the "Congratulations your iPhone has been Unlocked" in iTunes. Then was able to restore from backup. Will probably use them again to unlock my iPhone 5 if they offer that service.

monkeydodo3

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Worked out absolutely awesome! Within a couple hours of submitting my IMEIs on their website, I received e-mail confirmation that my phones had been unlocked. Hooked up to my computer, did a full restore (NOT restore from backup - tried that first and didn't get the unlock message) and after that, got the "Congratulations your iPhone has been Unlocked" in iTunes. Then was able to restore from backup. Will probably use them again to unlock my iPhone 5 if they offer that service.

Wait so unlock fusion did end up being able to reunlock your phone after AT&T updated their database? Cause I was planning to request an unlock for my iPhone 4.

Last edited:

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008

Is it even possible that they'll offer an unlock for the 5?

hope84

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
I just puched that service, still waiting :)

Hi all, I have some questions... I'm new in Iphone, I just buyed one used Iphone 4... This was unlocked through Turbo Sim that worked fine but was kind of messi all the time I tunned off my phone.

So, once I get my code and unblocked my Iphone, how can I do to upgrade mi iS that is currently Version 4.3.3 (8J2) and Modem Firmware 04.10.01 without getting my phone screw?

Do I have to jialbreak it again? how can I do that?

I really will appreciate your support!!! Thanks in davance!! :D

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
I used unlock fusion yesterday and got my unlock email today. Just did a restore and it is unlocked. :)

monkeydodo3

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
I used unlock fusion yesterday and got my unlock email today. Just did a restore and it is unlocked. :)

What time did you submit it? And yesterday as in Saturday? How long did it take for you to get the email? They usually don't process them on weekends according to their eBay listing, but hopefully that's not the case since I ordered mine around 8:15 PST last night from unlock fusion.

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
I ordered mine Friday night around 9pm and then was kinda disappointed to notice they don't do unlocks on weekends since I'm selling my phone today... Out of the blue last night around 6pm I got the "Your phone is unlocked email" !!!

Sure beats fighting with AT&T to unlock, after 30 min the rep told me its Apples rule to NEVER unlock a phone in contract & he would get written up and apple would bounce it back anyway. I even had him check what I would pay to end my service with AT&T (after 5 years of $100+/mo bills) and he wouldn't budge. He offered to go ahead and cancel my service but I told him I wanted to do it in store with the manager that told me "Sure! Just call customer service and they'll unlock the phone even if still in contract so you can travel with it" (my story for why I wanted it)

It's so frustrating when you're still in the contract. You're still either going to pay monthly or pay the etf. Just let me sell the phone for extra since its unlocked! Hell, it's not like then you have to give me a new one, AT&T doesn't lose anything. Except pissing me off.

Oh well, buying factory unlocked with the 5 so I can get extra resell value and have the option to travel with it or walk away at any time. I like AT&T, but I wish they were more open if they KNEW you still had contractual obligations to them >.<

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
I have one more question regarding this service... So my two 4S's are both unlocked using this method. Does anyone know if you jailbreak whether this unlock still functions properly? What is the best method for jailbreaking a fully updated 4S with 5.1.1 at the moment?

Chopstick217

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Huntington Beach, CA
I have one more question regarding this service... So my two 4S's are both unlocked using this method. Does anyone know if you jailbreak whether this unlock still functions properly? What is the best method for jailbreaking a fully updated 4S with 5.1.1 at the moment?

The phone is permanently unlocked. You can jailbreak or update to future firmwares. As for jailbreaking, I recommend using redsn0w 0.9.14b

monkeydodo3

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012

The carrier unlock is tied to your IMEI so even if you jailbreak and/or restore, your phone will still be unlocked.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Wow, I didn't know this even existed if it weren't for this thread. That was an easy $10 to spend. Just sent in my IMEI. I'll update when I get my unlocked email.

coolweirdo

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Fl
does this work with sprint(i know the cdma part of the iphone wont, but wat about the gsm part of the sprint iphone 4s)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.