Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbaker00

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
I need to transfer my iTunes from my old mac book to my brand new MBA. What is the easiest way to do this?

jimbobp2004

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
-have them both on the same wifi network
-turn on home sharing on the machine you want to get the files from
-on the machine you want to copy to, open up the home sharing bit in the bar on the left hand side
-select all and drag to your library
-go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
-have them both on the same wifi network
-turn on home sharing on the machine you want to get the files from
-on the machine you want to copy to, open up the home sharing bit in the bar on the left hand side
-select all and drag to your library
-go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over

That's probably the easiest way, but not the best way by far. If you use home sharing, you lose all ratings, playlists and custom metadata.

Itunes Match, I believe would let's you keep all that information, but I've never used it.

My preferred method would be to copy the iTunes folder to an external drive and copy it back to the new Air's music folder. All Playlists, metadata and ratings get transferred.

FHayek

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
Will this method work if I want to transfer music from iTunes within a Windows machine to a Mac?

FH

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Itunes Match, I believe would let's you keep all that information, but I've never used it.

Yeah, it does. Just bought a new Mac and installed iTunes and my entire library appeared with all ratings, play counts, playlists, etc. Plus now I don't have to fill up my SSD with music since I can stream it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.