Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cchukan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
So I'm planning on purchasing the new Iphone 5 from AT&T (since it's GSM) and later taking the phone to Germany. (I'm in the military and being stationed there for 3 years)

I know that AT&T will unlock my phone when I cancel my contract (AT&T honors military orders for overseas deployment) but my question is this...

QUESTION: According to this http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ I would have to purchase the A1428 GSM model but will I be able to use it in Germany? Apple will be selling A1429 GSM Model with different LTE Band support. Does this mean that if I take my unlocked AT&T A1428 I wouldn't be able to get LTE service in Europe?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
That is all very confusing to me.

It's not really a "world" phone if it can't be used across all (or at least the majority) of carriers :mad:

Would it really have been so bad to make the phone 1% thicker and include ALL of those radios/bands?

cchukan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008

It's not really a "world" phone if it can't be used across all (or at least the majority) of carriers :mad:

Would it really have been so bad to make the phone 1% thicker and include ALL of those radios/bands?

So are you trying to tell me that I won't get 4G LTE service in Germany if I go with the A1428 GSM? Or are you saying you are also confused...??:confused:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
You're correct. The AT&T model will only get LTE with AT&T and in Canada.

In Germany you'll get hspa+ and dc-hspa.

midtownhd

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
The iPhone 5 sold for at&t wont work under other companies' LTE services. But it does work using HSPA if unlocked.

cchukan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
The iPhone 5 sold for at&t wont work under other companies' LTE services. But it does work using HSPA if unlocked.

It will be unlocked so I guess I can use HSPA...Question was is hspa+ and dc-hspa and hspa??

Thanks

ShaolinX

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012

It wouldn't be 1% thicker, substantially more I'd think because of the fragmentation in the LTE spectrum. It is a world phone in the sense that you can pop in a local sim and use their data network, just not at LTE speeds. HSPA+ should be fine. I'll defer to my technical betters here though.

midtownhd

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
hspa+ is a faster version of hspa, the dc-hspa is used in Asia (I think).
The GSM version of A1429 with LTE support for other countries. I think it will be sold in Europe/Asia. If you're buying unlocked, and going to Europe, why not try that one? But the again, it wont work under ATT lte here in US

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I doubt I'll travel the world in the next year, so it's of no personal concern.

Just baffled that we cannot create a phone that works on all frequencies in 2012, when the world has had cellular technology for years now.

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
So I'm planning on purchasing the new Iphone 5 from AT&T (since it's GSM) and later taking the phone to Germany. (I'm in the military and being stationed there for 3 years)i!
the ATT version is the one version that will work worse and with the worst capablity in Europe.

The 1429 CDMA and GSM version sold for Sprint and Verizon has everything the 1428 has plus many bands in use and planned for use in Europe that the ATT/1428 does not have.
'
If you travel or live in Europe you do NOT want the ATT version

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I doubt I'll travel the world in the next year, so it's of no personal concern.

Just baffled that we cannot create a phone that works on all frequencies in 2012, when the world has had cellular technology for years now.

It's an extremely technical issue right now, and LTE is quite early on with many bands being used (more so than gsm or umts used) so it won't be simple just yet.

It happens at every new generation, gsm/edge phones had just 2-3 bands for a while before quadband became popular and could be used everywhere. UMTS/HSPA as well for years we would see models for north america and then models for Europe.

With time I'm sure we'll see it improve.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
It's an extremely technical issue right now, and LTE is quite early on with many bands being used (more so than gsm or umts used) so it won't be simple just yet.

It happens at every new generation, gsm/edge phones had just 2-3 bands for a while before quadband became popular and could be used everywhere. UMTS/HSPA as well for years we would see models for north america and then models for Europe.

With time I'm sure we'll see it improve.

I hope by the next iPhone we have the scenario we had with the 4S; one phone for all carriers and bands on 3G or lower, except for LTE next time around.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Those of you concerned about LTE service in other countries... You do realize how expensive international data roaming is, right?

HSPA should be more than enough when you consider that even 50MB tends to cost a fortune.

Just a thought; people probably shouldn't be worrying so much about this.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I hope by the next iPhone we have the scenario we had with the 4S; one phone for all carriers and bands on 3G or lower, except for LTE next time around.

Same here. I found it quite impressive how with the 4S they were able to get CDMA, GSM, 3G, etc all into a single model. Quite beautiful what they do logistically too like that.

I remember reading about newer chips that qualcomm was going to have ready for late 2012 or 2013 that allowed many more LTE bands to be possible on the same device. The iPad next year may be a good indication of what they can do.

----------

Those of you concerned about LTE service in other countries... You do realize how expensive international data roaming is, right?

HSPA should be more than enough when you consider that even 50MB tends to cost a fortune.

Just a thought; people probably shouldn't be worrying so much about this.

Though I agree, I tend to get a local sim when travelling. Data seems to be quite cheap when travelling in europe on prepaid sims. But yeah, unless living abroad for a while I really wouldn't worry much about LTE for outside of my home country. We've lived without it all this time already lol, and we do have hspa+ and dc-hspa for use when travelling.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
They aren't really "CDMA" and "GSM" versions. All of the versions support GSM and HSPA.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I wouldn't sweat it too much. Even the European iPhone 5 supports only one of the three LTE bands (800/1800/2600 MHz) that are used in Germany. Coverage in the 1800 MHz band is only available in major cities. And HSPA+ is fast too.

cchukan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
the ATT version is the one version that will work worse and with the worst capablity in Europe.

The 1429 CDMA and GSM version sold for Sprint and Verizon has everything the 1428 has plus many bands in use and planned for use in Europe that the ATT/1428 does not have.
'
If you travel or live in Europe you do NOT want the ATT version

Hey,

quick question, why do you say the AT&T version (GSM) is worse than the Verizon or Sprint version (CDMA) when all of Europe is GSM? According to their website the Verizon/Sprint version is only a CDMA version not CDMA and GSM like the Iphone 4s or am I missing something here? Let me know thanks!

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Hey,
quick question, why do you say the AT&T version (GSM) is worse than the Verizon or Sprint version (CDMA) when all of Europe is GSM? According to their website the Verizon/Sprint version is only a CDMA version not CDMA and GSM like the Iphone 4s or am I missing something here? Let me know thanks!
I dont know what you are reading but you are reading it WRONG. Neither the sprint nor verizon site say their versions are CDMA only., As we knew some time ago from the FCC filings, as well as from Apples own site on the technical specifications, the Sprint and Verizon are CDMA plus GSM, plus LTE frequencies the ATT lacks.

The sprint and Verizon versions have all the capability (type of radio and frequencies) of the ATT PLUS:
1) CDMA
2) More LTE bands. There are already several countries in Europe and elsewhere that have announced or because of only avaialbe bands, that they are/will be allocating LTE bands not on the ATT version but on the Sprint/Verizon Z1429.

If you are traveling or may sell the phone overseas the 1429 (verizon/sprint) is superior.

This is why apple will be sellign ONLY the Sprint/Verizon version in Europe and and not the ATT version there

OwenMeasures

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2011
London
What about if i buy a GSM model in New Zealand and im from the England, will i be ok for LTE when my carrier supports it?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I wouldn't sweat it too much. Even the European iPhone 5 supports only one of the three LTE bands (800/1800/2600 MHz) that are used in Germany. Coverage in the 1800 MHz band is only available in major cities. And HSPA+ is fast too.

I agree.
You will survive with HSPA+ while deployed in Germany.
You can reach speeds up to 14.4mbps if supported or available.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Apple in reality would have liked to wait to add LTE until the next phone (2013) the fragmenation of LTE across spectrum is crazy right now, but costumers wanted it so bad.

cchukan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
I dont know what you are reading but you are reading it WRONG. Neither the sprint nor verizon site say their versions are CDMA only., As we knew some time ago from the FCC filings, as well as from Apples own site on the technical specifications, the Sprint and Verizon are CDMA plus GSM, plus LTE frequencies the ATT lacks.

The sprint and Verizon versions have all the capability (type of radio and frequencies) of the ATT PLUS:
1) CDMA
2) More LTE bands. There are already several countries in Europe and elsewhere that have announced or because of only avaialbe bands, that they are/will be allocating LTE bands not on the ATT version but on the Sprint/Verizon Z1429.

If you are traveling or may sell the phone overseas the 1429 (verizon/sprint) is superior.

This is why apple will be sellign ONLY the Sprint/Verizon version in Europe and and not the ATT version there

Thanks for the info. Quick question though, where on this website http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ does it talk about Verizon/Sprint CDMA phones also support GSM? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.